Best of Portland & Kennebunkport (NCL)

c breeze

Has anyone taken the tour "Best of Portland & Kennebunkport" on NCL or any other cruise lines? If so, do you feel that it was a worthwhile tour. This our first time in the port of Portland, and we usually do a ship's tour the first time we visit a port. We enjoy outdoor scenery, and are less interested in indoor/historic sights. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Those "best of" tours are very long & expensive.

Portland is not as scenic as other ports on that NCL itinerary (which I just finished on the 18th).

I rented a car in Portland and drove around to various lighthouses, but honestly, it's not worth spending that much money to see Portland in my opinion.

Those "best of" tours are very long & expensive.

Portland is not as scenic as other ports on that NCL itinerary (which I just finished on the 18th).

I rented a car in Portland and drove around to various lighthouses, but honestly, it's not worth spending that much money to see Portland in my opinion.

Thanks for your response. I had heard that Kennebunkport was quite beautiful, which is why we are considering this tour. Perhaps we will reconsider.....

I don't want to dissuade you from Kennebunkport, because I didn't have time to go there. Our port stop was very short in Portland.

However, I would strongly suggest simply renting a car (MUCH cheaper) rather than taking a tour for like $140/person or whatever they are charging for those "Best Of" tours.

See my car rental thread on this forum for more info.

We have been to Portland and Kennebunkeport on our own, just not with a cruise tour. Since you are asking, I agree with the other poster who said to rent a car and see what you want to see. Kennebunkeport is not that far from Portland and it is a very pretty town. Very nice to just park and walk about the town for a few hours and have a very nice lunch.

I also was not enamored with Portland, as chose to see many of the lighthouses in that area instead. That is us, we are really not into museums and would rather be driving and seeing the area. Others may well feel differently, but wither way, save the money the cruise line charges and rent a car.

Cheers

Len

• 8 months later...

For those who went to Kennebunkport from the port of call being Portland...wondering if you were aware that the fictional Cabot Cove from the Murder, She Wrote series is really Kennebunkport?

With that said...who has been to this location? How did you get there? What did you do?

We like locations that aren't just lighthouses but has something more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app