Cozumel stop - excursion or stay on the boat?

Cruiseandcamp

Last time the wife and I stopped in Coz, we took the ship's tour to Tulum Mayan ruins. All day trip, nice ferry boat ride to the mainland and a bus down to Tulum. Great trip, we were the last tour group back to the ship and got a lot of applause from fellow passengers as we reboarded.

Thanks everyone. Yes LuLu this is my first post so thanks for the welcome! I don't yet know how to respond to a particular comment - still learning the ropes. I have been researching Nachi Cocum. I don't see this offered as a Carnival excursion so I guess you book it yourself. The Cozumel bar hop sounds great but one in our party (we will be two couples in party) does not drink. A group of 8 of us did the Key West Bar Crawl one year and we are still talking about that night. Fun!Rockdoctor's comment made me chuckle. My preference sounds like a all-inclusive quiet beach day. I appreciate your comments and look forward to hearing others. We will be in the Freedom out of Galveston on Nov 12th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are going to Nachi Cocum in a couple of weeks. The last time we were in Cozumel (in the Spring) we did Cooking with Josephina as a private excursion. You take a cab to Josephina's house and look at the cookbook to decide on lunch. You then walk to the market and learn a little about local produce and then back to the house where you all participate in preparing lunch and eating. If you do this one, come hungry!

If you have a long day there I HIGHLY recommend the "amazing Secret River" excursion. The place is called Rio Secreto. You can look it up online and on their Facebook page. One of the best excursions we have done.

Absolutely THE BEST thing you can do! Went on this last year with my girlfriend. She was hesitant but she absolutely loved it as well. It was probably the coolest thing I've ever seen or done. Not very strenuous but very adventurous. You won't regret this excursion!!! Will do the Amazing Secret River again in a heartbeat if given the opportunity.

Last time we stopped in Cozumel, we rented a car and drove the road around the island, stopping at a few of the beach bars on the back side. It's gorgeous out there. Highly recommended! We also stopped at the fake tequila factory which was a lot of fun. Don't stay on the boat, and don't be afraid to do your own thing. Make your own excursion.

Edited by realjd

Was just in Cozumel last week on Paradise. I echo the last person, don't stay on the ship! At least get off and have a FANTASTIC authentic mexican lunch at Panchos Backyard (I recommend the chimichangas - and although I no longer drink alcohol, when I did I enjoyed their authentic margaritas) - Plus, they now have a Pancho's backyard right at the cruise port!!!! ....and the BEST place to buy mexican vanilla and souveniers is at the connected store, Los Cinco Soles -- BONUS, Cinco Soles participates with the mexican tax "rebate" program so you will get an 8% rebate (I think it's 8%) just bring your recept to the "free money" place nearby ... also you get the rebate from Diamonds International/Tanzenite international. At least get off the ship to get your FREE tanzenite earrings (get coupon before leaving ship).

If you like all-inclusive beach excursions, I highly recommend Mr. Sanchos - they also have ATVing and the fastest, least expensive Jetskis on the island (both cost extra) - beach/grounds are great, plus u can get a massage (extra) or the fish pedicure (extra) ... all food is included and u must try coconut shrimp!!!! They have a couple pools and a swim up bar and the place is amazing - beach is great. google it. If you reserve your Jetski or ATV or all inclusive online before you go you will save money. they give great service there, you wont be disappointed. It's about a $14 taxi ride for two people.

We agree completely. We were in Cozumel last Friday, September 18, 2015, aboard Carnival Dream. That was our ninth visit to the island. On our first five cruise stops at Cozumel, we did an assortment of excursions including helmet dives, introductory SCUBA, and ferry trips to the mainland. And then we discovered Pancho's Back Yard at the port. On our last four visits to Cozumel, including last Friday, we have gotten off the ship around 11:00 AM and walked around the port shops usually waiting to buy until we get to Los Cinco Soles. Then we walk another hundred feet or so and decide whether to eat inside or at one of the beach tables at Pancho's Back Yard. The food is truly excellent. My wife is still talking about the Filete de Pesacado a la Veracruzana that she had this trip. She says that it was the best Mexican seafood meal she has ever had.

Another vote for Passion Island by Twister Boat. Fun ride Fun island.

It's where the Corona commercials were filmed.

The seaweed was there after a storm. None when we were there.

At any rate, we love Cozumel because you could go there many many times without repeating an activity. So much to do there!

I concur with previous posters, don't stay on the ship! Been to Cozumel several times and still look forward to it. Great port. If nothing else lunch and drinks at Panchos is worth getting off the ship. I like many of the excursion suggestions in this thread too.

Yet another vote for Nachi Cocum.

My wife and I have been there 4 times and we very much enjoy it. It is not at all a loud party atmosphere type of place. It's quiet and relaxing. The drinks are great, and the appetizers, guacamole, and grilled grouper are amazing. I had one of the best pieces of grouper Ive ever had in my life there, and I have lived in Florida for 22 years. I know grouper !

The only negative there is that the pool is always so damn cold. I much prefer a pool vs the ocean, but the last time we went we were in the hot tub only because of the pool temperature.

A tip for Nachi: I always pay my deposit online using a Visa or Mastercard gift card. I then pay the balance owed in cash upon arrival at Nachi. That way the info for my regular credit cards is never in Mexico.

Try the Miami Vice cocktail and the grilled grouper and tell them that PurpleDog says hello !

Edited by PurpleDog

We second the endorsement of Josefina's cooking class in Cozumel. Find her on tripadvisor. It's a very short walk from the pier -- four or five blocks. We drank scratch margaritas and cooked and ate and had a great time. So much fun! Walked to the market, picked up beer and other items, cooked and ate. She is a charming and informative woman.

This is always the port that we use to go into the local stores and straw markets and buy all the gifts that we take back to our 6 kids and 15 grandkids. They all think they want us to bring them back something and we always do. So we shop then find a nice place to eat and get back on ship for an afternoon nap(wore out from carrying all the bags of gifts she bought) then get ready for the nights activities.

Well I have done Nachi and loved it BUT

If you don't want to pay 55 per person, try going to Mister Sanchos and doing the pay as you go.

We used to go to Nachi and tried something else and ended up saving money!!

I used to try and drink my money's worth and not so much now.

Get off the ship, and just go somewhere and chill and get some SHRIMP NACHOS and a dirty monkey

I will be visiting Cozumel for the first time in about 3.5 weeks. We decided a while ago to just go downtown, look around, and have a margarita. I was doing a little research today, and found these 2 articles that include info about downtown. Please note, Carnival usually does NOT dock downtown, so you would need to take a cab.

http://www.domesticfashionista.com/2014/09/royal-carribean-cruise-port-cozumel.html

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/things-walking-distance-port-cozumel-mexico-55864.html

Normally I would concur with the others and suggest Nachi Cocom. However, after our last stay, I just wanted to throw this out there: it's not always a relaxing, uncrowded getaway. :( On our last trip earlier this year, there was a very large young adult group there for a wedding and reception. They were loud, drunk, and brought their own loud country music via iPods and portable speakers. Staff wouldn't ask them to turn it down, and any request by guests was met with 'we're just having fun!' and refusals to do so. I'm far from old or boring, but Nachi was always my relaxing beach day in the past, and this was anything but. After 6 or 7 visits to Nachi, this upcoming cruise will be the first one where we've decided to do something else in Cozumel. We're instead trying the Salsa and Salsa excursion - looks like a lot of fun, and includes unlimited margaritas. All of that to say: there is always something to do in Cozumel!

For those of you who recommend the "Amazing Race" excursion, is there someone to organize the various groups or is it kind of everyone for himself/find your own group? How many are usually assigned to a group? My friend and I are interested in this excursion, but would want others in our group, especially someone who'd go in the water if that were necessary. We're good at finding things once we reach a destination (my husband and I are geocachers), but we're not good swimmers. Thanks.

Edited by Cruisin' Broad