Cozumel stop - excursion or stay on the boat?

Cruiseandcamp

My husband and I will be cruising in Nov for a short 4-day cruise on the Freedom. We have been to Cozumel on previous cruises. I want to get your opinions about staying on the boat vs any good excursions - either through Carnival or on your own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My husband and I will be cruising in Nov for a short 4-day cruise on the Freedom. We have been to Cozumel on previous cruises. I want to get your opinions about staying on the boat vs any good excursions - either through Carnival or on your own.

Was just in Cozumel last week on Paradise. I echo the last person, don't stay on the ship! At least get off and have a FANTASTIC authentic mexican lunch at Panchos Backyard (I recommend the chimichangas - and although I no longer drink alcohol, when I did I enjoyed their authentic margaritas) - Plus, they now have a Pancho's backyard right at the cruise port!!!! ....and the BEST place to buy mexican vanilla and souveniers is at the connected store, Los Cinco Soles -- BONUS, Cinco Soles participates with the mexican tax "rebate" program so you will get an 8% rebate (I think it's 8%) just bring your recept to the "free money" place nearby ... also you get the rebate from Diamonds International/Tanzenite international. At least get off the ship to get your FREE tanzenite earrings (get coupon before leaving ship).

If you like all-inclusive beach excursions, I highly recommend Mr. Sanchos - they also have ATVing and the fastest, least expensive Jetskis on the island (both cost extra) - beach/grounds are great, plus u can get a massage (extra) or the fish pedicure (extra) ... all food is included and u must try coconut shrimp!!!! They have a couple pools and a swim up bar and the place is amazing - beach is great. google it. If you reserve your Jetski or ATV or all inclusive online before you go you will save money. they give great service there, you wont be disappointed. It's about a $14 taxi ride for two people.

I'll be spending my day at Nachi Cocom in November. Went there last May and going again. Love it. Not crowded, limited attendance to 100 people max, palapa's & lounge chairs on the beach, swim up bar in the pool & Jacuzzi, all drinks included as well as lunch. Pay extra for other stuff like massages & rafts.

Hi ... Noticed this is your first post so Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

You might want to look at what the ship is offering for excursions to see if any would be of interest to you.

If not, do consider just getting off and going to someplace like Panchos Backyard for lunch. Five Amigos is another good one where you will probably be docking.

Have great day in Cozumel! :D

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

My brother in law has been telling us for years to do the Cozumel Bar Hop, we finally did it last year with our dd's and their boyfriends......... HAD A BLAST so we booked it again for this coming Feb!! http://www.cozumelbarhop.com/ They take you in an a/c van to the other side of the island........ so beautiful there!!

My brother in law has been telling us for years to do the Cozumel Bar Hop, we finally did it last year with our dd's and their boyfriends......... HAD A BLAST so we booked it again for this coming Feb!! http://www.cozumelbarhop.com/ They take you in an a/c van to the other side of the island........ so beautiful there!!

Yes! We have done this four times and will do it again the next time we go to Cozumel.

I'll be spending my day at Nachi Cocom in November. Went there last May and going again. Love it. Not crowded, limited attendance to 100 people max, palapa's & lounge chairs on the beach, swim up bar in the pool & Jacuzzi, all drinks included as well as lunch. Pay extra for other stuff like massages & rafts.

I second NAchi Cocom. Went there last March, and going again in February. Love the peace and quiet. If you have children, Mr Sanchos would have more for them to do, but if it's just you and your husband wanting a relaxing beach day, can't beat Nachi Cocom....

When we went to Cozumel a few years back, we didn't do an excursion but also didn't stay on the ship. I had really just wanted to lounge on a beach chair under some palm trees, and lucky enough there were some free to use right at the port! So after checking out the shops we just lounged here for awhile. It was nice and relaxing!

Picture246.jpg

Thanks everyone. Yes LuLu this is my first post so thanks for the welcome! I don't yet know how to respond to a particular comment - still learning the ropes. I have been researching Nachi Cocum. I don't see this offered as a Carnival excursion so I guess you book it yourself. The Cozumel bar hop sounds great but one in our party (we will be two couples in party) does not drink. A group of 8 of us did the Key West Bar Crawl one year and we are still talking about that night. Fun!Rockdoctor's comment made me chuckle. My preference sounds like a all-inclusive quiet beach day. I appreciate your comments and look forward to hearing others. We will be in the Freedom out of Galveston on Nov 12th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only been there once and went to Nachi Cocum. Loved it enough to be heading back in April. They have a website to reserve a spot and pay a small deposit. You pay the balance in cash when you go. It's about a 15-20 minute taxi ride away.

It's a beautiful beach. Great food. Was very quiet the day we went. There were a couple kids and they stayed by the pool. Me, I'm an ocean lover.

There are lots of great excursions and beautiful beach destinations in Cozumel, and I do really like the place a lot, but of all my cruises, Cozumel has been a frequent stop, and normally I would love to go to a Nachi Cocum, or Mr Sanchos place, but now that I cruise solo, am not as keen on beach excursions. That is just me though. So a few years ago, while cruising on the Freedom, I did actually get off the ship, to buy some t shirts (those long beach cover up type ones, you can only get in the western caribbean), took me all of 30 mins, then back on board to enjoy a very quiet ship. I finally got to snag one of those round loungers on Serenity, the ones with the canopies, and spent a glorious few hours there, then had my run of the ship for food and drink.

So if you have been to Cozumel a few times and have seen a fair bit of it, and you wish to have a port day on board, then I recommend it. But if you have not ventured out much in Cozumel, then I suggest one of the great beach destinations, or an excursion that would appeal.

We have done this several times and have highly enjoyed it everytime

For Snorkeling/Diving you do not want to miss a day with Cozumel H2O. No need to pay for the cruise over-priced excursions.

We have been twice and love it. There is a reason it's ranked #1 Activity on TripAdvisor.

They take you to 4 different spots and the best part is you just drift with the current. No swimming back to the boat. A guide also points out the amazing wildlife. The best 3 hr excursion money can buy. Don't forget to wear a t-shirt tho to protect your back while snorkeling. Enjoy.

Edited by hobster7

5 years ago (?) we went on a cruise with my siblings and parents, all adults, and did the Amazing Cozumel Race. Set up similar to the Amazing Race tv show on CBS. It was SO FUN. We had a blast and would do it again in a heart beat.

Last cruise we did the stand up paddle board/snorkel combo. Ended at a private beach with a pool. The snorkling was just for fish as there was no reef at all. Literally just sad. But the SUP was fun and the beach/pool was amazing. Not all-inclusive, but there was a bar and they had tasty food.

We did the all inclusive day at Isla Pasion. You take a boat ride over to a private beach, all you can eat, all you can drink. Lots of loungers and umbrellas, blow up toys in the water. There was a lot of seaweed but the beach was nice otherwise. Food was great, margaritas were awesome. Staff was EXCELLENT. We had a great day :)