Taxi to Edinburgh Castle

Grekat

Hi grekat, it's not far at all because Newhaven is part of Edinburgh so I'd guess £10- £12. There's also a local bus to Princes Street from Newhaven and if you check out this thread I started you'll get more info

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2231904

Thanks so much-the information is very helpful in planning

• 6 months later...
We will be arriving Edinburgh on Celebrity and tendering to Newhaven. Approximately how much would a taxi cost from Newhaven tender port to Edinburgh Castle or Royal Mile.

Thanks

We will be arriving in Edinburgh on the Caribbean Princess on Friday, 02 September, 2016. To save our energy, we're considering taking a taxi right to Edinburgh castle, touring the castle, and then walking the Royal Mile downhill to Holyrood Palace. Two questions:

- how much can we expect to pay for a taxi to the castle?

- should we buy advance tickets to the castle and the palace?

Thanks very much!

Joyce

Hello Joyce

Firstly I wold DEFINITELY pre-book tickets to the Castle so you can avoid the queues. Although things will be much quieter in Edinburgh than in August on the cruise before yours, Edinburgh will still be quite busy.

I think last year it was £35 to the castle from the pier in South Queensferry but it depends a bit on traffic because your journey may be metered. It certainly would save time and black cabs are plentiful in Edinburgh for your return journey. You just flag one down on the street and ask for Hawes Pier South Queensferry.

I'm a member of the welcome group at South Queensferry and Princess has invited us on board to give a presentation about Edinburgh the evening after Invergordon. I might be involved with this so look out for this presentation in your daily programme

Hello Joyce

Firstly I wold DEFINITELY pre-book tickets to the Castle so you can avoid the queues. Although things will be much quieter in Edinburgh than in August on the cruise before yours, Edinburgh will still be quite busy.

I think last year it was £35 to the castle from the pier in South Queensferry but it depends a bit on traffic because your journey may be metered. It certainly would save time and black cabs are plentiful in Edinburgh for your return journey. You just flag one down on the street and ask for Hawes Pier South Queensferry.

I'm a member of the welcome group at South Queensferry and Princess has invited us on board to give a presentation about Edinburgh the evening after Invergordon. I might be involved with this so look out for this presentation in your daily programme

Thanks so much "tartanexile81". Maybe it would be more cost-effective for us to take a shuttle from the ship into the Old Town and then a taxi up to the castle.

Looking forward to your presentation on the ship! We'll definitely be there!

Joyce

Thanks so much "tartanexile81". Maybe it would be more cost-effective for us to take a shuttle from the ship into the Old Town and then a taxi up to the castle.

Looking forward to your presentation on the ship! We'll definitely be there!

Joyce

It will be me or on of the other volunteers Joyce! There's 4 of us taking turns to do it.

Do you know about the local coach company that offers a shuttle? We haven't had any ships in yet, but I assume the cost will be around the same as last year - £10 / $15 per round trip. If you check my thread you will see that the shuttle takes you into the New Town and from there you could flag down a taxi - maybe £6/7 to the castle?

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2046842.

Enjoy Edinburgh and if it's me onboard (Rhona) come and say hi.

It will be me or on of the other volunteers Joyce! There's 4 of us taking turns to do it.

Do you know about the local coach company that offers a shuttle? We haven't had any ships in yet, but I assume the cost will be around the same as last year - £10 / $15 per round trip. If you check my thread you will see that the shuttle takes you into the New Town and from there you could flag down a taxi - maybe £6/7 to the castle?

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2046842.

Enjoy Edinburgh and if it's me onboard (Rhona) come and say hi.

Rhona, thanks for the photos and all the information about public transportation! I think we'll take the local shuttle to New Town, then the green hop-on, hop-off to the castle. We'll walk down the Royal Mile, visit Holyrood, and take the Ho-Ho back to New Town to pick up our return shuttle!

You've been an amazing help, and I hope we see you onboard the Caribbean Princess on 01 September!

Joyce

Rhona, thanks for the photos and all the information about public transportation! I think we'll take the local shuttle to New Town, then the green hop-on, hop-off to the castle. We'll walk down the Royal Mile, visit Holyrood, and take the Ho-Ho back to New Town to pick up our return shuttle!

You've been an amazing help, and I hope we see you onboard the Caribbean Princess on 01 September!

Joyce

I'm looking at the map of the green hop-on hop-off bus. Stop#10 at Lawnmarket is the stop for the castle, and I wonder if that is the closest we can get to the castle. Would a taxi get us closer? I am concerned about my husband's energy level, and would like to minimize the step/hill climbing as much as possible. Thanks again!

Joyce

A taxi would get you a bit closer but really not much at all - maybe 50-100 yards. I think your main concern for your husband would be all the different levels and uneven ground at the Castle. It really is hard work. On the bright side it's all downhill over the Royal Mile after that

The green hoho bus leaves from the same stop as the shuttle bus drops off so it certainly is a good option.

Edited by tartanexile81

TARTANEXILE81

I wrote you many months ago & you were quite helpful with ideas for Edinburgh. We are arriving on August 2016 on Celebrity & we are planning to tender in to ?Newhaven, pick up a rental car & head for St Andrews . We also want to stop in Crail & Anstruthe .We already have an 1100 walking tour of the Old Course at St Andrew's.

Would it be better to go to Anstuther then overnight in Crail before going to St Andrews on Wednesday? I believe you mentioned that daylight extends into the evening hours so maybe we could visit 2 of the Fife villages & on to St Andrews the next day to tour,walk & shop before heading back to Edinburgh

We hope Enterprise can pick us up at the port & I guess we will have to return the car to where ever the rental car location is.

Edited by surebeatssailing

TARTANEXILE81

I wrote you many months ago & you were quite helpful with ideas for Edinburgh. We are arriving on August 2016 on Celebrity & we are planning to tender in to ?Newhaven, pick up a rental car & head for St Andrews . We also want to stop in Crail & Anstruthe .We already have an 1100 walking tour of the Old Course at St Andrew's.

Would it be better to go to Anstuther then overnight in Crail before going to St Andrews on Wednesday? I believe you mentioned that daylight extends into the evening hours so maybe we could visit 2 of the Fife villages & on to St Andrews the next day to tour,walk & shop before heading back to Edinburgh

We hope Enterprise can pick us up at the port & I guess we will have to return the car to where ever the rental car location is.

The villages are really quite small and you'd only need to allow an hour to have a walk round. Maybe I could suggest a route which would include a couple of more interesting little places?

Day 1 - this would be easily achievable if you had booked your accommodation beforehand.

Leave Edinburgh heading North. Maybe stop off at South Queensferry, a picturesque historic village with great views of the Forth Road and Rail Bridges.

Cross Forth Road Bridge and head North leaving at Junction 3, Halbeath, on the A92. Keep on this road following signs for Glenrothes and St Andrews. About 3 -4 miles after Glenrothes turn left to Falkland. This is a really pretty old village with a lovely Palace.

Head back towards Glenrothes and follow signs for Leven A911. This becomes the A915 and is the road which will take you past all the little sea-side and fishing villages. Lower Largo is where Alexander Selkirk AKA Robinson Crusoe was born; Elie has an amazing beach; St Monans and Pittenweem have pretty fishing harbours; Anstruther is more touristy with a famous fish and chip bar, small shops and cafes and a fisheries museum. Crail is probably the most picturesque with cobbled street and a lovely harbour where you can eat fresh lobster from a little wooden hut! All the way along the coast there are golf courses like Leven Links and Kingsbarns both of which are used for qualifying for the Open.

What sort of accommodation would you want? Crail has mainly small B&Bs whereas St Andrews itself has larger more luxurious hotels. From Crail it would take you about 20 minutes to St Andrews.

Have a think about this and if you have any questions I'd be happy to help

tartanexile81...Thanks so much.

We are undecided on overnighting in Crail or St Andrews but we seem to be favoring Crail.

The next morning we would go to St Andrew's and spend most of the morning & early afternoon before heading back to Edinburgh.

We have not yet ordered the rental car but we should take care of that soon.

Thanks again for your advice.

Shirley

TARTANEXILE81

Sunset will be about 8.45 pm when your in Edinburgh

surebeatssailing

If I was looking for a B&B in Crail I would probably choose the Hazleton or Troutrie. We go to Ruffletts Hotel in St Andrews to eat and it has real old-fashioned elegant bedrooms and lovely gardens

Thanks! Also thanks to threetowner16 for sunset time!

I am really getting excited for this visit .

Shirley

You have been so helpful to all that query you so I'm hoping that you can help me. I will be docking at Leith [small ship, the Nautica] and of course want to tour the castle and do the mile. Would it be cost effective to get a taxi if there will be 4 of us? I assume there won't be a bus into the center of town like they have from the tendering dock. How far are the two cops from each other? Thanks Larry

You have been so helpful to all that query you so I'm hoping that you can help me. I will be docking at Leith [small ship, the Nautica] and of course want to tour the castle and do the mile. Would it be cost effective to get a taxi if there will be 4 of us? I assume there won't be a bus into the center of town like they have from the tendering dock. How far are the two cops from each other? Thanks Larry

I'm very happy to help. I use social media to plan my own trips so think I should do something in return.

Leith is actually much better served by buses that Newhaven the tendering port. Bus fare are £1.50 per person each way and a taxi from Leith to the Castle would be more than the equivalent £6 of 4 x £1.50 bus fares. Not sure but probably around £12. If you'd rather use bus (although it will also involve walking at some point), come back and I can tell you the best bus routes. However you have to balance that against the convenience and time-saving of the taxi.

It is easy to walk down the Royal Mile from the Castle. I'd pre-book the Castle when you know your arrival time (maybe up to 20 minutes from the port but probably less) then just pick out the highlights on the Royal Mile as you wander down. It is very very easy to walk.

I think you may have made typo and you were asking how far the docks were from each other and I'd say less than a mile.

Quite right, I did mean "docks". Yes, it would be helpful to hear what the best bus route would be to go, also coming back from the bottom of the hill. How come there's no shuttle bus from this dock? Also, will you or one of your colleagues be to our ship? That's enough for now, thanks again.

Quite right, I did mean "docks". Yes, it would be helpful to hear what the best bus route would be to go, also coming back from the bottom of the hill. How come there's no shuttle bus from this dock? Also, will you or one of your colleagues be to our ship? That's enough for now, thanks again.

The best bus would be a #35. This bus departs form Ocean Terminal, the large shopping mall just a couple of minutes easy walk from where you dock. There are a few bus stops there so just look for the one that says 35 on its sign. Buses are fairly frequent

http://lothianbuses.com/timetables-and-maps/timetables/35

On the way to the Castle, you would be best to get off at the Royal Scottish Museum which is the easiest walk. You walk along George iv Bridge then turn left at the traffic lights. This is where you'll have to walk up the hill to the Castle, but it's not far. BTW the bus fares go up to £1.60 at the beginning of April. You pay in cash as you get on the bus. On the way back to Leith the bus stops outside the Scottish Parliament Building but you can look out for that on the way in.

There is no shuttle bus at Leith or Newhaven because they are so close to the city, unlike South Queensferry which is a village about 8 miles from the city centre. The shuttle there is run by a local entrepreneur. It is unlikely anyone will be on your ship but the volunteers will be waiting in the terminal to help you. Look out for their purple jackets. Let me know if you need any more info.

Sorry thought I'd answered this. The Britannia is only a short distance away from where you dock. You will see a large building to your left as you leave the terminal. This is Ocean terminal shopping mall. You access the Royal Yacht from the second floor of the mall. Unless you intend doing the hop-on, hop-off as well (which I doubt if you'd have time for) then it wouldn't be worth getting the combo ticket, IMO

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, we'll be docking at Rosyth on a Wednesday morning at 8 am. What time do you suggest we try and book our tickets to the Castle? I've already read some of your other very helpful posts and it appears that I need to resist the urge to jump into a taxi and take instead the train into town.

OR, since at the moment I can't really decide (one day is just not enough)! I also have it in mind to take the train to town and just enjoy the Royal Mile and then perhaps make our way to see Britannia. We have to make our way back to the ship in time to meet up with our shore excursion to the Tattoo. Is that doable?

Many thanks in advance,

Nan