San Pedro - Disneyland - LAX

snoodqueen

We are arriving at San Pedro on Nov. 8th. We have a 7:45 p.m. flight out of LAX and thought we might spend the day at Disneyland. We would do walk off, store our luggage in the lockers at Disneyland, spend a few hours reliving our youth and then leave for LAX about 4 p.m. Any suggestions on how to get from A to B to C economically? A taxi would be the easiest but the meter is running all the time. Would a limo company with a flat fee be better for the three of us? If so, any preferences?

Normally we just take a cab or ship transfer direct to LAX but this time we'd like to spend the day somewhere more fun than the airport!

We are arriving at San Pedro on Nov. 8th. We have a 7:45 p.m. flight out of LAX and thought we might spend the day at Disneyland. We would do walk off, store our luggage in the lockers at Disneyland, spend a few hours reliving our youth and then leave for LAX about 4 p.m. Any suggestions on how to get from A to B to C economically? A taxi would be the easiest but the meter is running all the time. Would a limo company with a flat fee be better for the three of us? If so, any preferences?

Normally we just take a cab or ship transfer direct to LAX but this time we'd like to spend the day somewhere more fun than the airport!

If you walk off the ship at 9am, the time at DL will be about 10am-1pm (if I read correctly your flight is 4pm). The best option IMO is Uber....go with the SUV option if you have too many people and luggage to comfortably fit in a car.

Take the DL>LAX motor coach service to LAX. By the way, have you checked John Wayne Orange County Airport (SNA)? It's closer to DL, easier to get from curb to gate, and there are connecting and nonstop flights to YVR.

DL admission is around $100 per person. Only you can decide whether you will get your money's worth in the short amount of time. As you probably know there are two parks...IMHO decide on one or the other, and don't buy a more expensive ticket with admission to both parks.

Edited by kenish

I can see that you're saying your flight is at 7:45pm. I would just be concerned that if there's a traffic jam -- oh, wait, it's LA and the 5 and 405, so there will be lots of traffic -- that you may be cutting getting to the airport too close It would probably help if you're flying out of the OC airport. I think you're talking about a Sunday, but that's the Veteran's Day weekend so there could be a lot of traffic at DL and going between there and the airport.

Or they can take the 5 to the 91 to the 605 to the 105 which will take them right into the airport and bypass both the dreaded 5 (only about 5 miles worth but before the traffic jams start) and 405. If they use the carpool lanes that will greatly increase their time. It's about 35 miles using that route.

Sorry - my mistake! We arrive on the 12th (Thursday), not the 8th, and we are booked to fly out of LAX so OC is out of the equation. We figured to have at least 5 hours at Disneyland and even at $100 it's better than sitting in an airport lounge. I know traffic is busy no matter when or where you go but leaving Disneyland at 4 should allow plenty of time to get to LAX. We will already have our boarding passes so just need to drop the luggage.

kenish: Thanks for the suggestion of the DL to LAX bus - never heard of it before and it looks promising. I will do a little more research before making a decision.

Flying to YVR? Need to find out if LAX-Vancouver is considered an international flight. If so, you need to be at LAX three hours ahead of time.

It's 50 minutes to LAX on a good day with no traffic. You'd be leaving Disney at the beginning of rush hour. Plan on at least double the time.

How about a day at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach? They hold luggage.

aquariumofpacific.org

Edited by SadieN

Flying to YVR? Need to find out if LAX-Vancouver is considered an international flight. If so, you need to be at LAX three hours ahead of time.

It's 50 minutes to LAX on a good day with no traffic. You'd be leaving Disney at the beginning of rush hour. Plan on at least double the time.

How about a day at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach? They hold luggage.

aquariumofpacific.org

I think you are over estimating the time. I live on the LA/Ventura border and I can tell you that usually when I leave Disneyland it takes me between 70 to 80 minutes (and 65 miles) to get home unless there is a huge accident. I agree with the 3 hours part because, yes, it is considered an international flight since you are changing countries. I can guarantee you it has never taken me 50 minutes to get to LAX from Disneyland and I go one to two times a month for the past 10 years unless there is a major accident and there are routes around that. Sure, mostly on Saturday or Sunday but just last week it was a Monday. Keep in mind you will also have use to the carpool lane as well.

I think you are over estimating the time. I live on the LA/Ventura border and I can tell you that usually when I leave Disneyland it takes me between 70 to 80 minutes (and 65 miles) to get home unless there is a huge accident. I agree with the 3 hours part because, yes, it is considered an international flight since you are changing countries. I can guarantee you it has never taken me 50 minutes to get to LAX from Disneyland and I go one to two times a month for the past 10 years unless there is a major accident and there are routes around that. Sure, mostly on Saturday or Sunday but just last week it was a Monday. Keep in mind you will also have use to the carpool lane as well.

50minutes was the Google estimate, hence on a good day. Lol.

I live in the 909. Grew up in the 818.

I have personally been to Disneyland over 300 times when I lived in Anaheim and had a season pass for many years. It was worth it to me to park across the street and walk to the park, check out the fireworks and the Main Street electrical parade, then went home. For those that think they will experience Disney in 6 hours on a one off would be very frustrated at the long lines and two hour waits for rides. We once went to Disney's 25th anniversary party and stayed in the park for 25 hours straight. We still couldn't ride all of the rides and we cut in line where we could. Now they have downtown Disney and have more rides in California adventure. You will see only 20% of the park in 7 hours at a price of $100/ticket.

I recently asked my niece if it was worth it to me to see Disneyland for 14 hours one day. Her reply was you really needed 2 /14 hour days to get a good feel for Disneyland. When she asked if this was cruise people attempting only 6 hrs/ she said to go to Knotte Berry Farm instead. ( like the rest of the Orange County locals)

Edited by YubaSutter

I have personally been to Disneyland over 300 times when I lived in Anaheim and had a season pass for many years. It was worth it to me to park across the street and walk to the park, check out the fireworks and the Main Street electrical parade, then went home. For those that think they will experience Disney in 6 hours on a one off would be very frustrated at the long lines and two hour waits for rides. We once went to Disney's 25th anniversary party and stayed in the park for 25 hours straight. We still couldn't ride all of the rides and we cut in line where we could. Now they have downtown Disney and have more rides in California adventure. You will see only 20% of the park in 7 hours at a price of $100/ticket.

I recently asked my niece if it was worth it to me to see Disneyland for 14 hours one day. Her reply was you really needed 2 /14 hour days to get a good feel for Disneyland. When she asked if this was cruise people attempting only 6 hrs/ she said to go to Knotte Berry Farm instead. ( like the rest of the Orange County locals)

Since they started counting our visits, sadly I'm at 516 and that leaves out quite a few years. Apparently I love it their according to my daughter. We do the "parent exchange" thing there. When I need to babysit the grand kids that is where we swap them out. Plus just a fun day. Had a wedding last week. Where did we go before :D?

For the most part what you have said is correct (don't agree with the Knott's comment) BUT if this is your one and only time to see Disneyland than you take what you can get. Five hours is better than no hours and whether they can ride every ride doesn't mean squat if what they want to do is just "see" what it is or all about. Maybe they like only roller coasters or hate roller coasters. They won't ride them but they might still be interested in seeing the Matterhorn.

My brother and family hadn't been there for around 15 years. I met up with them around 4:00 and asked what rides they wanted to go on. They had already hit every major ride and wanted to go to the other park in 6 hours. You just have to have a plan. Get there and go for the big rides than take your time on the lesser.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. We may rethink our plans with everyone emphasizing the traffic issues. We were in LA for 3 days in March and were stunned at the delays getting anywhere. This would not have been a first visit to Disneyland - we've all been many times - just a hope of spending a few hours having fun. Long Beach - been there, done that. Wouldn't mind taking a bus tour but nothing picks up at the pier. Much different than here in Vancouver where the ships dock in the heart of town.

We'll have to consider day rooms at an airport hotel or sit in an airline lounge for the day. If we didn't have luggage we could hop on a city bus and go shopping/sightseeing on our own for the day. Still time for more research thanks to the internet and all the helpful CC posters!

As someone suggested, maybe consider the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. They will hold your luggage for you as you check out the exhibits. It is an excellent choice for a day trip. (we recently toured the one at Monterey, which is better, which really says a lot as the AofP is great, too)

Snoodqueen- are you a cyclist? Being good YVR outdoorsy folks, we rented bikes from bikes and hikes LA and did a star tour and really enjoyed it. They were great at bikes and hikes and would probably hold your luggage.

Not a cyclist but definitely outdoorsy. Not so sure about my travel mates! Sounds like a great option for another time though. Thanks!

We've booked a 7 hour tour with Sunseekers instead of trying to do Disneyland. They will pick us up at San Pedro at 9 a.m. and drop us off at LAX by 4 p.m. Those times work perfectly for us and we won't have to worry about our luggage. Thanks for all the suggestions - I knew I'd get good advice on this forum!