help please.....transfers from Vancouver port to airport

creel5857

Jostling with other passengers??? We never experienced jostling of any sort while riding the SkyTrain.
If you ride the Canada Line during rush hour or some busy weekend periods.... it's very luggage hostile as non-airport passengers also use the train between downtown and the airport.

While the trip to the airport trip is cheaper.... airport to cruise terminal is almost on par with taxi. I'll take the $35 taxi carload for door to door service... especially to hotels on Robson.

Without luggage... I'll take the Canada Line.

Edited by xlxo

The thing to remember about luggage, Canada Line, and Cruise combination is that cruise passengers are virtually always going AGAINST the flow of traffic. Off the ship to YVR in the morning - you start at the end of the line, so aside from commuters leaving the train and hustling across the platform you have no worries and since you're end of the line there will be plenty of seats.

Inbound you're also starting at the end of the line, no other pax except fellow airport-leavers, so even fewer people to contend with (nobody lives on Sea Island, so even if your flight arrives during rush hour the vast majority of pax are on the other branch of the line).

I live in Vancouver and have cruised in and out many times. I've seen the taxi lineup stretch for half the terminal. If you get off early you may be able to get a taxi without a hassle. You can check the Port of Vancouver website to see how many ships are in port. If there are two large ships you will have to wait.

I always take Skytrain! It's a short walk and you get on at the end of the line. Trains are clearly marked YVR and it terminates right inside the airport. Why anyone would wait for a taxi is beyond me. $2.75 and 24 minutes. This is a no-brainer!

I always take Skytrain! It's a short walk and you get on at the end of the line. Trains are clearly marked YVR and it terminates right inside the airport. Why anyone would wait for a taxi is beyond me. $2.75 and 24 minutes. This is a no-brainer!

Well for a person who takes SkyTrain all the time I am surprised that you don't know that the non-concession fare is $4. Secondly, if you would look at my post above you will see the actual time between Canada Place and YVR proper far exceeds the the actual travel time of the train.

Now let me try to educate you as why not everyone uses the Canada Line to YVR:

-some people don't like transit

-some people don't like subways....which unlike the Expo and Millenium the Canada line is

-some people don't like crowds

-some people don't like to schlepp there luggage 3 blocks to Waterfront station looking like a gypsy

-some people can't walk the 3 blocks to Waterfront Station

-some people like to see a bit of the beautiful city of Vancouver from the window of a cab.

I do hope this helps you to understand why some if not many people prefer a taxi over the Canada Line.

The issue isn't just cost, though you do seem to be forgetting about a tip for the taxi driver. To me the issue was the very long line to get a taxi and my preference to avoid taxis. If I were to hire a car it would be something modern like Lyft (much nicer than a typical taxi), which is what we used to get to the ship on our last cruise.

My wife and I are physically fit and pack lightly, so walking with wheeled luggage for a short distance is not a problem. I understand that luggage can be a problem for other people, especially the typical elderly HAL passenger.

I thought that I made it quite clear that the actual train ride was 35 minutes (I timed it), and that the entire trip from the ship's gangway to the airport was just under an hour.

igraf

I don't own a cab or know anyone who drives one I merely expressed the view of preferring a cab. Quite frankly I don't like transit and I dislike schlepping my luggage even more. Now if you like doing all those things then good on you. I am not rich but after spending thousands of dollars on a cruise and more on airfares I think I can afford a $35 35 minute cab ride and see a bit of Vancouver rather than the dark walls of a subway tube....but maybe others can't

As for the trip on the Canada Line taking 35 minutes, the actual travel time between Waterfront Station and YVR station is 24 mins, to which you need to add the time it takes to walk to Waterfront Station, pay your fare, find the platform, wait for the train, wait for the elevator at YVR station, walk into the terminal.....now if you did all that in 35 mins, that's a new best.

Edited by igraf

The issue isn't just cost, though you do seem to be forgetting about a tip for the taxi driver. To me the issue was the very long line to get a taxi and my preference to avoid taxis. If I were to hire a car it would be something modern like Lyft (much nicer than a typical taxi), which is what we used to get to the ship on our last cruise.

My wife and I are physically fit and pack lightly, so walking with wheeled luggage for a short distance is not a problem. I understand that luggage can be a problem for other people, especially the typical elderly HAL passenger.

I thought that I made it quite clear that the actual train ride was 35 minutes (I timed it), and that the entire trip from the ship's gangway to the airport was just under an hour.

igraf

I think I explained in the original post that if you encounter a line for a taxi just walk to the Pan Pacific Hotel which forms part of Canada Place and take a cab from there thus avoiding the line.

As for the travel time, originally TransLink had said the travel time was 24 minutes I see of late they have adjusted the travel time to 26 minutes so you are either incorrect, got off a Brigeport Station and transferred to YVR Station instead of catching the YVR Station train or your watch is fast. Rather than have you scrambling looking for the travel times permit me to provide a link for you convenience.

Fortunately they make both chocolate and vanilla ice-cream.

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire?.a=iScheduleLookupSearch&LineName=999&LineAbbr=999