Opinions on zip lining here?

DopeyRN1

Carnival offers a zip lining excursion here. Sounds nice, and I know there are other places to zip line...San Juan and St Lucia specifically. But there's nothing really grabbing me about St Kitts and I thought this might be the place to do it. Anyone? :)

Just figured out how to search and found some answers. Sorry.

It sounds like it's a bumpy ride to the top. Anyone have recommendations on people with back problems or motion sickness? (I know everything has warnings about back, neck, heart, pregnant, etc)

Edited by DopeyRN1

We did the zip line excursion here back in 2012. We really enjoyed it. The lines aren't super long, but it was great for me as a beginner. You don't have to worry about hand braking- I believe they use a hydraulic and spring style line. If I recall correctly, because of the springs you will need to be able to lean back and raise your legs up, and slightly apart, so you're almost horizontal, but not quite, so you don't hit them on the spring. So a little core strength will be needed.

I don't really remember the bus ride that much, there is some walking between the lines, but I don't remember there being that much, or anything difficult. At the time I wasn't very outdoorsy, nor was I in great shape and I didn't have any issues.

I remember thinking I really wanted to book the zip lining excursion in St. Lucia based on the description, but I had already set up a land and sea tour, so that left St. Kitts. From what I heard from some other cruisers I made the right choice by going here.

I just asked my DH what he remembered from the excursion and he says the ride was pretty bumpy, so if you are especially sensitive for motion sickness or have moderate to severe back issues you may not want to go, but he also says it may also depend on the source of the back pain. He also reminded me that at the end of the line you will spring back a little bit and will be hanging until they put the block under your feet so you can stand up and unhook from the line. They did this pretty quickly since there would be someone coming down the line not long after you, so you're not hanging for very long. The harnesses were full body, so he thinks that might make it easier on you than if they only used the waist harnesses like other places.

I have back issues from time to time, and this didn't give me any issues. However, my back issues are generally soreness or pinching from improper lifting, or from restraining particularly willful dogs at work. It's not chronic.

I also get occasional motion sickness, usually from rough seas, but I didn't have any issues during the excursion. I may have also been taking a daily anti-emetic just in case we were to hit particularly rough seas. I would recommend doing the same for the trip if your friend gets motion sickness anyway, in which case she should probably be fine. I also have a fear of heights and the monkey trainer is the first line, which is barely off the ground. They use it to teach you how to use their system. It helped ease me into it.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if you have gone yet or not, but we just went on this excursion last week (Oct 2015) and it was wonderful. My DW was sort of scared, but once she got there and saw what it was, she loved it.

The trip up the hill is an adventure in itself. Yes, it is bumpy, but I felt safe all the way. The crew that took use was kind of "crazy" but they made you feel comfortable at all times. I think that the longest of the four lines is like 1300 feet long. The view is amazing. I wished that we could have gone back up and do it again!

It was our first experience in doing zip line, I am 60 years old and not in real good shape, but loved it and had no issues. I can't wait for our next chance.

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if you have gone yet or not, but we just went on this excursion last week (Oct 2015) and it was wonderful. My DW was sort of scared, but once she got there and saw what it was, she loved it.

The trip up the hill is an adventure in itself. Yes, it is bumpy, but I felt safe all the way. The crew that took use was kind of "crazy" but they made you feel comfortable at all times. I think that the longest of the four lines is like 1300 feet long. The view is amazing. I wished that we could have gone back up and do it again!

It was our first experience in doing zip line, I am 60 years old and not in real good shape, but loved it and had no issues. I can't wait for our next chance.

ssteve923 -- did you book this zip line excursion thru the ship? i thought I read that is the only way to do it. I will be on Adventure of the Seas in December.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, St Kitts has the best Zip Lining in the Caribbean. We enjoyed this very much! Other places have been a disappointment compared to St Kitts. However, I have not done the LONG 1 line zip in Labadee Haiti. But, that is just 1 long zip line. The one in St Kitts has 7 or so... cant remember exactly. You are going from mountain top/side to mountain top/side.

In my opinion, St Kitts has the best Zip Lining in the Caribbean. We enjoyed this very much! Other places have been a disappointment compared to St Kitts. However, I have not done the LONG 1 line zip in Labadee Haiti. But, that is just 1 long zip line. The one in St Kitts has 7 or so... cant remember exactly. You are going from mountain top/side to mountain top/side.

Have you by any chance done all three zip line tours in St. Lucia? I'm debating between two different tours and it would be helpful to know if one tour is superior to the others. Thanks.

Have you by any chance done all three zip line tours in St. Lucia? I'm debating between two different tours and it would be helpful to know if one tour is superior to the others. Thanks.

We have done one in St Lucia. I have not read any reviews that said to go to a particular one as it was better than the others... We did the one through the cruise lines excursions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are leaving out on the Adventure of the Seas in just FIVE days and can't wait! :) We don't have anything planned for St. Kitts yet and I've been dying to Zipline on one of our cruises! After these posts, it's really making me want to go for it! I'm 55, so relieved that I'm not the only older adult who is CRAZY!

tew...DO IT!! We really had a great time and the guys were great! (Baby Boy was a sweetie!)

I see you are going to St John...we went to Trunk Bay and it was stunning!! Easily the most gorgeous turquoise water I have seen. Unfortunately we only had time for that one beach as we docked in St Thomas and had to do cab, ferry, cab to get there and back. Since the ferry only runs once an hour, we were afraid to miss the 4:30 all on board. Would just have loved to explore the island more.

Have fun!

Did any of you do the zip line through Royal Caribbean? Is it the same location/company that you are all referring to?

I'm curious too! Trying to plan out shore excusions for our RCL cruise on AOS in March. I want to Zipline, never done it before and this one sounds good. I'd like to know the company used and if you booked/can book with RCL or if it's a private company. Thanks!!

Sky Safaris has agreements with most of the cruise lines that call on St Kitts. I do not believe that if your ship/cruiseline has an agreement with Sky Safaris, you probably will not be able to book this excursion independently.