Making sense of awarding upgrades

NCHPcruiser

I love to feel that it like Santa knowing which girls and boys have been really good this year....

I always hope the upgrades will go to those who have worked and saved like mad to get on board, those who have had a tough year or are really celebrating something special.

I always imagine the upgrade fairy having a bit of a sense of humour, never sticking to the same rules for too long, just to keep us busy hoping, wishing and guessing...

Need the *LIKE* button

Karma - I agree -

I tend to ignore people who brag about upgrades - I like to think I booked my cruise - happy at the price I paid - and secured the deal that works for us

I have never had an upgrade - I HAVE had a downgrade - yes - indeed - we have - my 40th birthday in fact - P&O - at Southampton check in - they told us our balcony cabin was double booked. I WAS a smoker at the time - my husband didn't smoke - I only smoked on the balcony - never in my life did I smoke in our bedroom - They offered us an oceanview + 100GBP OBC - or "bugger off and find something else" - Needless to say as it was my 40th we took the oceanview - I hated that I smoked indoors (I don't smoke now BTW) .We SO regretted this - and despite driving 600 miles - wish we had turned around there and then - should have told them to stuff our oceanview and headed to LHR caught the first flight out to anywhere sunny and had a great time! Absolute pits of a cruise - and never again - From filthy everything to guests bragging about the £399 special deal - ugh!!

So - God knows what our Karma had been that year but hey- a downgrade it was!

I agree with you though - hope the upgrade fairy casts her wand on those who somehow - deserve it :)

I've never been upgraded, but I had a bizarre stroke of luck with Celebrity...

A few years ago my grandmother passed away and I received a little money from her will. Nothing earth shattering, but just a little something to remember her by. My fiance (then my boyfriend) and I decided to take some and take a trip - after a ton of research I decided on a Celebrity cruise and our first ever suite (and first time with Celebrity). We got an S1 - in the aft corner with a larger balcony. It was on the Reflection, about 3 months after its inaugural sail. We booked relatively late (only 30 days or so before final payment was due).

A couple of weeks after booking, my TA called and asked if I was sitting down. She said she'd never heard of this happening, but the Reflection had just had its first voyage and in honor of that slashed some random cabin prices. I'd already booked my cabin, but my price had been slashed by over 50%. My aft corner S1 was now costing me a little less than we'd paid to sail on an ocean view cabin (no veranda) the prior year with Royal Caribbean.

When I called back a couple of weeks later to make my final payment, I had someone other than "my" TA help me. When he pulled up the account and saw the fare and our cabin there was instant silence. I asked if he was looking at the rate and he said yes and where did we find that. I told him the story and he said he'd never heard of that happening either.

That's when I decided that it was grandma - she approved of what I'd decided to spend her money on and wanted to make it extra special for us. :)