Amtrak in New York state to New York city for cruise

Paddy41

I would be worried about weather in upstate NY in March. Snow is not unusual even in April. I would be sure to be in New York City the day before the cruise.

We have a hotel booked near the pier for the night before the cruise. We'll leave home 2 days before the cruise, stop over in Syracuse or somewhere, then travel to New York by Amtrak or Megabus the day before the cruise. You are so right about snow. We had that experience already a few March's ago. Booked to fly out of Syracuse to New York the morning OF the cruise. Snow storm the night before and can you imagine how stressful it is to get to the airport and see cancelled, cancelled, cancelled on the departure board. We were SO fortunate because the snowstorm hit south of New York and our flight was a go. I will never plan on arriving the day of a cruise again.

We are planning to use Amtrak in February. We live near Utica so will go from there the day before and spend the night in NYC. Right now, the Crowne Plaza in Time Square is the front runner for a pre-cruise hotel because there will be stuff to do right there. I looked at the the bus from Albany, but we'd then have to drive there still. The allure of the train is it's 20 minutes from home, we have 2 young boys and boys loves trains, and my husband drives all over the state so no driving for him is a big draw.

We have a hotel booked near the pier for the night before the cruise. We'll leave home 2 days before the cruise, stop over in Syracuse or somewhere, then travel to New York by Amtrak or Megabus the day before the cruise. You are so right about snow. We had that experience already a few March's ago. Booked to fly out of Syracuse to New York the morning OF the cruise. Snow storm the night before and can you imagine how stressful it is to get to the airport and see cancelled, cancelled, cancelled on the departure board. We were SO fortunate because the snowstorm hit south of New York and our flight was a go. I will never plan on arriving the day of a cruise again.

The last 2 years with my Jan. trips, Syr has been hit hard with me scrambling to get flights. :)

It is shorter to go to NYC through Binghamton, if that's any difference. But, in your time frame- Greyhound has Binghamton/NYC fares of $71

We are planning to use Amtrak in February. We live near Utica so will go from there the day before and spend the night in NYC. Right now, the Crowne Plaza in Time Square is the front runner for a pre-cruise hotel because there will be stuff to do right there. I looked at the the bus from Albany, but we'd then have to drive there still. The allure of the train is it's 20 minutes from home, we have 2 young boys and boys loves trains, and my husband drives all over the state so no driving for him is a big draw.

We are doing the same in March. Taking the Amtrak down from Vermont the day before the cruise, hotel in Manhattan, minutes from both Penn Station and the pier. Trip will take about nine hours but I hate driving around NYC and Mass. Less than $100 per person round trip.

We are doing the same in March. Taking the Amtrak down from Vermont the day before the cruise, hotel in Manhattan, minutes from both Penn Station and the pier. Trip will take about nine hours but I hate driving around NYC and Mass. Less than $100 per person round trip.

It looks like $105.20 each way for 2 seniors from Syracuse to NY city. But so many have said about Amtrak being late. On the other hand we would be on it the day before the cruise so do I care. Have been looking at the Megabus from Binghamton which can be $48pp depending upon the time we leave. Don't know if they have a senior rate.

Are you going on the NCL Gem in March? We are.

Same here. I would sooner ride a donkey into NYC than attempt to drive. My husband has, but hates it. I will report back on how the train was. We've only been on local scenic train rides and the ever famous Thomas rides.

Not sure if you've seen this, but fares are a little cheaper using this link if your dates aren't in blackout dates. I bookmarked it from someone else here who posted it a couple months ago. http://www.amtrak.com/train-days

Edited by Freckle53

Same here. I would sooner ride a donkey into NYC than attempt to drive. My husband has, but hates it. I will report back on how the train was. We've only been on local scenic train rides and the ever famous Thomas rides.

Not sure if you've seen this, but fares are a little cheaper using this link if your dates aren't in blackout dates. I bookmarked it from someone else here who posted it a couple months ago. http://www.amtrak.com/train-days

Thanks for the link. Coming back there is a train leaving at 10:20 a.m. What do you think? Doable? I'd arrive back in Syracuse late afternoon and still have to drive home that day (a 4 hr. drive). My experience on previous cruises is that we could get off the ship early and make it to Penn Station by then but does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for the link. Coming back there is a train leaving at 10:20 a.m. What do you think? Doable? I'd arrive back in Syracuse late afternoon and still have to drive home that day (a 4 hr. drive). My experience on previous cruises is that we could get off the ship early and make it to Penn Station by then but does anyone have experience with this?

Have you cruised out of NYC before? How do you plan on getting to Penn Station? IF you do consider this- the ONLY suggestion I have is to self disembark be in line and ready to go, a 1/2 hour prior to the posted time- AND have car service reserved ahead.

Your arrival time is when? I know, a cruise my sister is on in Jan. lists the time as 10am.

I have cruised out of NYC several times- every time- cab lines are severe. :) So don't even consider. :)

It looks like $105.20 each way for 2 seniors from Syracuse to NY city. But so many have said about Amtrak being late. On the other hand we would be on it the day before the cruise so do I care. Have been looking at the Megabus from Binghamton which can be $48pp depending upon the time we leave. Don't know if they have a senior rate.

Are you going on the NCL Gem in March? We are.

No. We will be on the Breakaway March 6.

We got the "Train days" discount from AMTRAK, so that explains the difference in prices.

It's cutting it a little tight, but should be doable. I don't know what other folks are talking about with a long cab line. Walk across the street—that's what we did, and we had less than a 5 minute wait for a cab.

With 2 kids in tow, we're not going to risk the 10:20 departure time. I've read that you can have your luggage held at Penn station, so we may drop what we can off and explore nearby to waste time until the later train. I wonder if you can catch the earlier train with a later ticket providing they have room? Not sure if Amtrak is flexible with changes like that.

Edited by Freckle53

With 2 kids in tow, we're not going to risk the 10:20 departure time. I've read that you can have your luggage held at Penn station, so we may drop what we can off and explore nearby to waste time until the later train. I wonder if you can catch the earlier train with a later ticket providing they have room? Not sure if Amtrak is flexible with changes like that.

In 2011, when we last took AMTRAK after a cruise, we were able to do both of the things you mentioned. My sister and I wanted to go to Ground Zero after the cruise. So, we dropped our luggage off at AMTRAK and then took the subway to Ground Zero. Even though our train wasn't scheduled to leave for several hours, they took our luggage and checked it in, no problem. As for leaving earlier, we were exhausted after walking around so, we asked and we were able to get on an earlier train without issue. Now, as I said, that was in 2011 so your mileage may vary.

In 2011, when we last took AMTRAK after a cruise, we were able to do both of the things you mentioned. My sister and I wanted to go to Ground Zero after the cruise. So, we dropped our luggage off at AMTRAK and then took the subway to Ground Zero. Even though our train wasn't scheduled to leave for several hours, they took our luggage and checked it in, no problem. As for leaving earlier, we were exhausted after walking around so, we asked and we were able to get on an earlier train without issue. Now, as I said, that was in 2011 so your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the info! Hopefully they still do one or the other. Googling says that they are fairly easy going about trading in one ticket for another. Both trains are the same cost so that probably helps too. I would just hate to book the earlier train and have to rush and stress trying to make it.

Have you cruised out of NYC before? How do you plan on getting to Penn Station? IF you do consider this- the ONLY suggestion I have is to self disembark be in line and ready to go, a 1/2 hour prior to the posted time- AND have car service reserved ahead.

Your arrival time is when? I know, a cruise my sister is on in Jan. lists the time as 10am.

I have cruised out of NYC several times- every time- cab lines are severe. :) So don't even consider. :)

Thank you SO much. Reading your comments made me see it clearly. No way I want to be stressed out the whole cruise wondering how we're going to make it home.

I got a suggestion from someone else to stay in Ithaca and take the Cornell U. campus bus from Ithaca to New York City. They didn't mention getting back to Ithaca though. Are you at all familiar with this? I've no idea what it would be like to get to the hotel we booked near the pier from Cornell U. as I have no idea even where it is.

Thank you SO much. Reading your comments made me see it clearly. No way I want to be stressed out the whole cruise wondering how we're going to make it home.

I got a suggestion from someone else to stay in Ithaca and take the Cornell U. campus bus from Ithaca to New York City. They didn't mention getting back to Ithaca though. Are you at all familiar with this? I've no idea what it would be like to get to the hotel we booked near the pier from Cornell U. as I have no idea even where it is.

The Cornell shuttle will drop off and pick up at the Cornell club on 44 th street or 45 th street between Madison and fifth ave

Sorry don't remember if it's 44 th or 45 th but that's not an issue anyway.

They run a few scheduled times each day

You must reserve and if I recall prepay in advance

The people on the bus will be Big Red academic types and students for the most part. A very pleasant group and certainly no issues there.

The bus is spotless has wifi and they serve you snacks

It is not the cheapest ride but it is very nice and the reception area at the Cornell club is lovely and has free coffee tea etc

Btw the doorman isn't letting in the club unless you have a reason to be there...like a bus ticket

Once my daughter discovered the Cornell shuttle even with its much higher cost over Amtrak (which doesn't serve Ithaca btw) or port authority busses ....that is all she ever took back and forth to campus

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

• 2 weeks later...
The Cornell shuttle will drop off and pick up at the Cornell club on 44 th street or 45 th street between Madison and fifth ave

Sorry don't remember if it's 44 th or 45 th but that's not an issue anyway.

They run a few scheduled times each day

You must reserve and if I recall prepay in advance

The people on the bus will be Big Red academic types and students for the most part. A very pleasant group and certainly no issues there.

The bus is spotless has wifi and they serve you snacks

It is not the cheapest ride but it is very nice and the reception area at the Cornell club is lovely and has free coffee tea etc

Btw the doorman isn't letting in the club unless you have a reason to be there...like a bus ticket

Once my daughter discovered the Cornell shuttle even with its much higher cost over Amtrak (which doesn't serve Ithaca btw) or port authority busses ....that is all she ever took back and forth to campus

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm looking into this because it is a lower cost than Amtrak and maybe more reliable time-wise.