Escape/Oasis

NOSaints1

Just comparing the two, I know the Escape is new but we're looking at 2017. I know everyone loves the Oasis, but it's more enclosed to Ocean Views, I'm just wondering what NCL is like especially the Breakaway class and if you've gone on Oasis that would help to, is the food good on both, entertainment, onboard activities on NCL, how're the cabins good layout. I know the Escape is new so there wouldn't be much comparison to go on.

Having been on the Getaway and Allure OTS. There really is no fair comparison between the two, as the experience is vastly different. The Oasis class ships go for the WOW factor, with its layout & design while the AWAY class is more the traditional cruise experience.

What I mean is the Oasis is a revolutionary and unique ship. But as a family of 4, we LOVED the Allure. But I never felt either ship had that closed feel, maybe because we had an ocean view balcony on Allure and a balcony on the Getaway.

But on both ships, unless you were topside, you would not even know your on the ocean. I could go on for pages, but it all depends on what you are really looking for in a cruise.

If you want specifics, just let me know. I would happy to help

You don't say if you are traveling with children. We are adults only and we chose Escape because of the Waterfront experience - dining and bars with outside seating on what would traditionally be the promenade deck. That along with Spice H2O topside venue sold us. The indoor Main Street atmosphere in Oasis held no appeal for us. I did not look at either ship from the viewpoint of traveling with children and my decision may have been different.

I just did a B2B on the Getaway and then the Oasis. It was my first NCL cruise; I am Diamond on Royal. We LOVED the Getaway!! The Waterfront concept is genius!! I was out there on a sofa reading or staring at the water often totally by myself every day! On Getaway we loved the coffee machine in the rooms, the MDR being open on embarkation and the smaller venues of Taste and Savor. The food on Oasis was a let down. I absolutely would chose Escape over Oasis.

So I've been on the Epic and Oasis so I can't comment about the waterfront aspect. I though the activities on both ships were similar. There was a lot to do each day. Entertainment great on NCL. NCL has waterslides which Royal doesn't, until they introduce Harmony. I thought the food was better on NCL everywhere on the ship. The specialty dining on NCL is definitely a step above Royal. I loved Cagney's! I think the two lines are definitely more similar than they are different. NCL is a little more fun I think, and Royal is a little more refined. But very similar.

We don't have any kids, were in our mid 30s, only sailed on Carnival three times and one booked on Adventure next year. I like the Oasis class but it seems like a busy vacation. Did you find to be more busy and relaxed on NCL, what do you prefer the Freestyle or set dining times.

I prefer set dinning times... As we are 5 people next year on a cruise, we enjoy it to know " Okay at 8:15 we meet us at that or that point to go eat together ", if you are alone or 2, i would chose freestyle dinning..

Cheers

Please consider checking out our professional reviews of the two ships -- Oasis can be found here (and we just released a new album with more than 5,000 photos of the ship!) http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=368 and information on Escape can be found here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=691 We'll be onboard at the end of October and again in November so stay tuned for more details!

Find more user reviews here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=368

Happy Cruising!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

I'm in exactly the same spot right now. I'm trying to decide between the Oasis and Escape for next June.

It will be myself, husband and 10-year old daughter along with my mother-in-law. The plan is to have myself and hubby in a balcony and MIL and our daughter in an inside.

My daughter is small for her age and it looks like she won't be able to do the zipline or surfing on the Flowrider(which will really bum her out since she is a surfer). So, there is appeal to the waterslides on NCL for her.

Can anyone that has been on both comment on the kids club for her age group?

We did the Allure last January and are booked on the Escape for February. The escape will be our first NCL cruise, but we have been on disney, carnival, and princess. For me, the Allure was best with Disney coming in a close second. The entertainment was awesome (the ice skating show was so fun). Food was good to very good. The different neighborhoods really make you feel like you're on different ships, all with different atmospheres. There was just so much to see and do! We are planning on sailing the new Harmony because we enjoyed the Allure so much, but are really looking forward to the Escape too. As for the kids club, my kids (ages 5, 7, and 9) only went there for like 3 hours and said it was ok. They loved the ship though lol.

Edited by Biz64