Lanyards

Hows the Serenity

It is kind of ironic. Some people object to lanyards because they had to wear them for work. Some folks object to suits for the same reason. Do you think those people wore underwear to work every day? Are they "going commando" because they're on vacation or retired? What about people who had to dress business casual for work, but didn’t have to wear an ID badge on lanyard? Are they in jacket and tie with lanyards on vacation?

Why should it have to feel like you're still at work when you're actually on vacation? Just because you question how other people feel about wearing their keycards on lanyards doesn't mean they are wrong to feel the way they do. And I don't really see it as irony.

I wore nametags/ID's for school and work for years. I really don't like people being able to immediate know even my first name. Wearing your room key around your neck allows people to see at least your name. You couldn't make me wear my keycard around my neck or on a badge reel. I have a small bag for my keycards, phone, camera, iPod, etc. while on the cruise. Going ashore, I have a larger bag I drop the small one in.

I'd like to know where to get those stretchy things you can wear as a bracelet. you can punch a hole in the card, attach it to the stretchy thing and wear it on the wrist.

Here you go:

6pc Coil Stretch Wristband Keychain - Bright Pearlized Colors - Gym, Pool, ID Badge

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JF812M/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_SFmcwbF4J35ZB

Why should it have to feel like you're still at work when you're actually on vacation? Just because you question how other people feel about wearing their keycards on lanyards doesn't mean they are wrong to feel the way they do. And I don't really see it as irony.

I wore nametags/ID's for school and work for years. I really don't like people being able to immediate know even my first name. Wearing your room key around your neck allows people to see at least your name. You couldn't make me wear my keycard around my neck or on a badge reel. I have a small bag for my keycards, phone, camera, iPod, etc. while on the cruise. Going ashore, I have a larger bag I drop the small one in.

Exactly! I dress "Smart Casual" to work almost every day. That's why I wear a jacket to dinner almost every night on a cruise. Otherwise, I feel like I'm at work. Ditto with the tuxedo - Never wear one to work. But then I find myself surrounded by people in work uniforms (smart or business casual) 5 nights out of 7 on most cruises. It's just like being at the office! The Ocean Bar is like a meeting room with oh-so-tiny conference tables. It's maddening!

I don't have to wear a name tag, ID badge, or lanyard at work, so seeing people with them doesn't make me feel like I'm at the office. I wasn't questioning how other people feel about lanyards. I understand why some people don't like them while others find them convenient. As I said, I prefer keeping stuff in my pockets. I'm terribly afraid of being garotted by a lanyard. I know that they make breakaway lanyards -

breakaway-lanyard-lg.jpg

- but that will only help if someone grabs your ID. If they sneak up from behind, ninja style, they can grab the back of the lanyard, twist it, and there's no escape.

I suppose that the bottom line is that I'm OK with lanyards. It's the smart casual that reminds me of work. But, if people want to emulate tech company employees while they're on vacation, I suppose that's their right.

I don't know how people would see your name. How short would the lanyard have to be? Half the time my card flips over. It would be awkward for someone to stare at it to see my name. A lot of the time I have my lanyard in my purse so I'm not wearing it 24/7 on the ship anyway. It makes it a lot easier to find in my purse.

Here you go:

6pc Coil Stretch Wristband Keychain - Bright Pearlized Colors - Gym, Pool, ID Badge

thank you very much!!! I'm going to present this to our entire group and see if they want them before I order them for my three!!

It is kind of ironic. Some people object to lanyards because they had to wear them for work. Some folks object to suits for the same reason. Do you think those people wore underwear to work every day? Are they "going commando" because they're on vacation or retired? What about people who had to dress business casual for work, but didn’t have to wear an ID badge on lanyard? Are they in jacket and tie with lanyards on vacation?

My wife and DSIL use a waterproof case on a lanyard for ID, cash, and credit cards. I use my pocket - except when swimming, when I use a waterproof case on a carabiner clip. They're Witz See It Safes. Highly recommended.

In some cases, I'm quite sure the answer to one of your questions is yes.

thank you very much!!! I'm going to present this to our entire group and see if they want them before I order them for my three!!

Glad to help! If anyone in your group has Amazon Prime, it works out to about $1 per wristlet. And since they're "pearlized," they're suitable for use during festive occasions. :)

Just this weekend I was in Disneyland. Right in front of me in one of the shops a woman realized that her lanyard broke. There went her tickets, credit cards, Drivers license. She told her family, she could care less about the tickets or credit cards. She now no longer has a photo ID to pass airport security and was more worried about how to get home.

That is where the risk is. How well do you trust the device hanging from your neck with something so valuable as your ID.

Just this weekend I was in Disneyland. Right in front of me in one of the shops a woman realized that her lanyard broke. There went her tickets, credit cards, Drivers license. She told her family, she could care less about the tickets or credit cards. She now no longer has a photo ID to pass airport security and was more worried about how to get home.

That is where the risk is. How well do you trust the device hanging from your neck with something so valuable as your ID.

It's a tradeoff. Some folks lose their purses or wallets. Same result.

Most folks do not use a lanyard to carry their drivers licenses or credit cards. In fact, the only thing one would carry on a cruise ship would be their ship pass.

It's a tradeoff. Some folks lose their purses or wallets. Same result.

Most folks do not use a lanyard to carry their drivers licenses or credit cards. In fact, the only thing one would carry on a cruise ship would be their ship pass.

Exactly! That's why I carry my stuff in my pants pockets. I don't want my biggest problem to be that I lost my ID when it can be that I am pantsless - especially in light of the commando thing I referenced in my earlier post.

Seriously though, I've witnessed far more people who forgot their ID back in the room than I have people who had a lanyard malfunction.

I am just puzzled as to why on earth anyone would keep all that stuff on a lanyard. The most that goes on mine is my onboard card and drinks card. Now, if I lost the drinks card that would be devastating......:D

Exactly! That's why I carry my stuff in my pants pockets. I don't want my biggest problem to be that I lost my ID when it can be that I am pantsless - especially in light of the commando thing I referenced in my earlier post.

Seriously though, I've witnessed far more people who forgot their ID back in the room than I have people who had a lanyard malfunction.

That's one reason why we like lanyards. We usually can find a place near the door where we can hang the lanyards with the sea pass card. Easy to spot as we head out the door. Plus we don't have to look for them.

I love my lanyards. I wouldn't trust the plastic card holder for me. I always get a hole punched in the card. I do wear mine in port sometimes. It depends on the port. Another thing I've done is bring a large safety pin and I pin the card to my clothing .... like a belt loop on my pants. For me, pinning is handy at the beach. I've never lost a card that was pinned to me!

I have my favorite camp shirts with breast pockets that I save just for cruising. I've sewed snaps to the edge of one of the breast pockets on each shirt, stick my HAL boarding card into that when I go off the ship, and carry a few bucks in a wallet on a string around my neck. If I forget the wallet somewhere or someone steals it, I know I can get back on the ship. This has worked for me for years.

Here you go:

Exactly what I use on cruises. Love those! Got mine at local stationery store. Saw them at the County Fair last week for $1.50. Not as eye-catching as the lanyard and I can tuck it inside if I am wearing long sleeves. Easy to open the door, don't even have to bend down.

I bought a cute lanyard online. It's made of fabric with a plastic piece sewn to one side and small opening in the other. So, I slide my card into the plastic cover and used the little pocket to put my receipts in until I would get back to room. Nothing could "slide out" without me helping it. I never worn it off the ship. I don't alway have pockets and it worked great for me!