Question about Specialty Dining Promo

C. Anne

We booked two cabins. The men's cabin got the ultimate beverage package promo and because the other adult in the women's cabin is under 21, we got the specialty dining package. We were wondering if we would be able to use the dining promos with others, meaning if my husband and I wanted to go to specialty dining one night, could he use her promo? Norwegian told me we could do this, but I want to make sure and was wondering if anyone else has done this with the promo.

Thanks!

Edited by C. Anne

These packages are non-transferable. He will need to hand over her card at the end of the meal when he pays, and it's going to be obvious he isn't her. It makes no sense that you would have been told this, but it wouldn't be the first time an agent screwed up. I just wouldn't really count on doing it.

My moms name is Jean and I'd always use her card for things and tell them they spelled my name wrong.
"Jean" is a man's name, too, so I just wouldn't say anything. People's names are not likely to be spelled wrong on their cruise card (it's like having your name spelled wrong on an airplane boarding pass: not a good thing).

The problem in the OP's case is that he can't both pay for the meal with this other woman's SDP and get drinks during the meal with his own UBP without using two different cards. I think you'd have to be very very persuasive to get the restaurant staff to go along with that.

We booked two cabins. The men's cabin got the ultimate beverage package promo and because the other adult in the women's cabin is under 21, we got the specialty dining package. We were wondering if we would be able to use the dining promos with others, meaning if my husband and I wanted to go to specialty dining one night, could he use her promo? Norwegian told me we could do this, but I want to make sure and was wondering if anyone else has done this with the promo.

Thanks!

From UDP FAQ's.

Q. CAN I BUY DINNER FOR MY FRIENDS WITH THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE?

A. The Ultimate Dining Package is for personal consumption. If you wish to pay for someone else’s dinner, you will incur in regular cover charges for their consumption.

We just got off the Getaway last week and had the dining package and had a lot of hassles with it. The package is for the first 2 pax per cabin and it gets stamped on your card that you have it. When they run the card at the end of the meal, they can see who is on your card in the computer system. We had issues because there were 3 of us and my SO did not want the package so we wanted to use it for our son who is a minor but on the reservation, they kept putting his name in the 3rd position and it was only good for the people in the first and second positions. We asked if he could take his fathers card since that was the one marked with the free dining code and were told no. They finally had to call the corporate office to get it all sorted out.

They have your photo in the system, but I don't think it ever comes up when you swipe your card around the ship, only when the security staff scan you on and off the ship. So it is really not that difficult to get away with using someone else's card, but the staff are usually pretty good with names and faces and with all the packages these days (none of which are transferable or shareable) they are probably trained to be on the lookout for people using each other's cards, maybe they get a little bonus if they catch you, I don't know.

They have your photo in the system, but I don't think it ever comes up when you swipe your card around the ship, only when the security staff scan you on and off the ship. So it is really not that difficult to get away with using someone else's card, but the staff are usually pretty good with names and faces and with all the packages these days (none of which are transferable or shareable) they are probably trained to be on the lookout for people using each other's cards, maybe they get a little bonus if they catch you, I don't know.

I can't speak for NCL as my first cruise will be in January but I know on Carnival and Disney, your picture come up on the computer when they swipe it at bars and other POS systems. I have seen my picture come up on the screen.

• 2 weeks later...