Break it down? Liberty of the Seas Dining

I called RC today and they said 60 to 90 days before the cruise is when you can make the reservation for MTD.

I have never eaten diner at the buffet, only lunch. Will I miss out on anything by eating at the buffet compared to the main dining room? If they have lobster in the MDR, will they also have it at the buffet?

Thanks,

Joe

Yes, you will miss MDR items. The buffet will have one or two of the MDR entrees available, but not all of them. Have not seen lobster in the buffet.

We did MTD on Liberty last week and loved it. I made reservations about 45 days in advance. It is a pain to make them online as you have to make each individual day but it is worth it. I made a reservation for 6, at 6:15 every night. No wait, walked right in and had the same wait staff each night. To me the best thing about MTD, is it felt that they brought out the food faster than traditional dining (important if you have kids). Traditional dining at 5:30 seemed to early and the 8 is too late. We do like eating as a family although we did do the Windjammer for the kids once so we could go to Chops.

My one tip that I tried this time with my kids was going to the MDR for breakfast and lunch rather than dealing with Windjammer. I felt Windjammer is very crowded, hard to find a table and hard to deal with kids and a buffet. I felt both breakfast and lunch were good there and much more relaxing. Plus, if I wanted to go to the salad bar, I felt it was much easier to leave the kids and keep an eye on them.

We are cruising on the Liberty in Feb 2016.

My last RC cruise I tried to get a 2 person table for Traditional Dining, but could not get one. I had requested this when I purchased the cruise, but the request never made it to the dining room. I was told that if you want a 2 person table you have to do the MTD. There are only a few 2 person tables in the traditional room. I had cruised on Princess twice before and both times we requested and receive a 2 person table during traditional dining. So I thought we could on RC. Is the only realistic way we can get a 2 person table is by dining MTD? We like people, just do not like being forced to sit with people we do not know or when we want a private meal.

I tried to make a MTD reservation on the website by going to cruise planner, but it said "they could not make the reservation right now, please try again when on board the ship." Am I to early? How far in advance can you make the MTD reservations.

I like the 5:30 traditional, so we can catch the early show, but I guess we will have to eat fast on the MTD, or do the buffet, when we want to catch a show.

Is the food at the buffet the same as the MTD or traditional at night? If they have steak or lobster in the main dining room, do they also have it at the buffet?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Joe

I saw quite a few 2 person tables in MTD on deck 3. They used this dining room for lunch and dinner and noticed quite a few 2 and 4 person tables.

Edited by melski

On my last cruise, I went to the dining room immediately upon boarding and made MTD reservations for my party of six for our preferred time for all of the nights of our cruise. I can't promise that will work for every cruise, but it was very simple for us, and we had the same table and the same (fantastic) team of waiters every night.

Hello - Curious as to why you do not see the shows? We have a 12 and 7 year old and I came to the conclusion there are few if any shows we will take them to see.

In the Air is a great family show. Don't miss it! My 8 and 9 granddaughters loved it.

Edited by ARCruisinNana