Disney - Never again

Grandma1961

I also have to give the poster up thread props for daring to mention the child entitlement issue, especially when this thread almost certainly comes down to a $300 princess tea party. (Don't get ME started on how little girls should grow up with higher aspirations than "princess with a nice dress". Talk about a harsh comedown when you hit real life.)

Anyway, we'd both get eaten alive on other Disney forums.

That is the thing I enjoy about CC over other forums. You ARE able to express an opinion without the fan's defending DCL to death and excusing their every poor decision.

ex techie

Sprint' date=' this person is upset and hasn't even been on the ship yet. Yes, DCL does allow return cruisers and those who book at concierge level to schedule excursions, nursery hours (for infants), adult dining, spa, etc. before first timers. But many of those things continue to be available even after boarding the ship. Yes, there are a few things that "sell out." These include the Royal Tea and the cabanas on Castaway Cay...but even those may open up during the on line booking period or after boarding as some guests may regret having booked at the high cost these command.

You can do NONE of these things and still have an amazing cruise. OP was having a rant because she didn't get everything she wanted. OK. How often in life do you get EVERYTHING you want? Honestly, we've had DCL cruises that were better than others, but we've never had a BAD DCL cruise. Don't let a rant from someone who hasn't even boarded the ship yet deter you.[/quote']

I am getting ready to go on my second Disney cruise next week. I agree - the ship is AMAZING, the food is really good, there is plenty to do and we don't plan to do any extras, because there is plenty to do without booking excursions with DCL. I also agree with those that advise to book your own excursions, although you should do your homework to ensure a quality excursion. We are two 50+ adults, going with two 60+ adults - no kids - so, our situation may be a little different than some. But, there is PLENTY to do that is included with the price of the cruise.

I have read the forums over the years and when individuals complain about cruises, I definitely take it with a grain of salt. I have yet to be disappointed in any cruises that I've been on. I think some have expectations that can sometimes be unrealistic, IMO. The trick to a good vacation is to relax and enjoy it and not feel like you have to schedule every second. Just let it happen and be flexible.

I can understand the frustration of booking so far out for so much, then not getting the tours you want, esp for a child. Unf this happens on other cruise lines too for high-interest items like cabanas and spec events.

That said, I highly rec you look into private exc for the dolphin swim and zip line. We book our private exc thru our travel agent and they are slightly cheaper than cruise line. All have a cnx policy which includes full refund if ship doesn't dock there. Also they "guarantee" they will get you back to ship on time. So check with a TA or do online research for reputable private tours, I use tripadvisor for reviews.

We still use cruise excursions for all-day trips or far travel ones so we have piece of mind the ship won't leave. But short Carib tours, private is usually fine.

That said your grand daughter will love Disney so hide your disappointment and enjoy the ship. Next cruise go on a mega-ship on RCL or NCL which she'll love too, plus it's cheaper [emoji41]

I am so very disappointed with Disney. This is our first cruise. It is a surprise for my granddaughter's 8th birthday. We spent $10,000 on this cruise and everything we tried to book for her was sold out before I could get online to schedule them. For example, today was the first day I could schedule any port trips. I went online at 8:00am and The dolphin excursion, zip lining, the Royal Tea were all sold out! I was told that people who had cruised with Disney before were given first priority on these items. Now, can someone please explain to me why I would give this company any more of my money and take a 2nd cruise when I couldn't get the things I needed on the first cruise, which was the most important cruise. I am so upset with Disney. I guess one person spending $10,000 on a cruise is no big deal to Disney. I hope they choke on it. Never again!

1) First post complainer will often get very little sympathy, also little credibility to come to a cruise love site and throw stones, especially at Disney :D

2) I am sympathetic to your experience. Disney is a very popular and you pay thru the nose for the experience, be it the ship, excursions, amusement parks etc.

I can't tell you about how many times I went to the parks, paid crazy prices to stand in terribly long lines for the mouse ride. Same on the cruise about line lines for many things. But people love them, get used to that.. hear about how they will explore variable pricing to gouge people more at the parks, I'd do that too if I ran the company.

On a serious note, book your excursion private. The cruieseline shouldn't have a lock on things like Dolphin, do that independent, arrange the transportation independent, avoid the Disney hordes, you'll come out ahead if you do your research.

Good luck... and avoid anything popular if you don't want to be left at the back of the line :D

Edited by chipmaster