Disney - Never again

Grandma1961

I guess I need to explain myself since people are jumping to conclusions. I started researching Disney cruises when my granddaughter turned 5. I have read all the tips, got suggestions from friends who went on DCL and called them a few time s for clarification. I booked the cruise in December of 2014, one full year out. So no, Ex techie, I did not wait t until the last minute to book the cruise s e and I did do my research. No Disney ever again!

I was hoping there would be a post to confirm some of my suspicions

Let's title this: Managing Expectations

When we took our young kids on Disney Cruises they were super excited to just be on the ship, be in the clubs and see the shows ......

We never promised them any of the 'extras' and after 5 cruises they never asked for them ..... Along the way we sometimes surprised them with one but this was never a "deliverable" that they expected

Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong, but if you promised all the extras .... WHY?

You over promised and assumed your checkbook would be able to provide ..... you now know this is not always the case.

I work at a Florida "attraction" ... I drive the choo-choo train at the zoo. Our last train is at 4:15. One day a person came to the ticket booth while I was closing out the cash register, around 4:30.

We want to ride the train ....

The train is done for the day .....

We drove 2 hours to get here just to ride the train ...... my child will be VERY disappointed

ummmm sorry .. parent screaming child crying (over a 10 minute $3 train ride)

was the problem mine or their's?????

Edited by Capt_BJ

I guess I need to explain myself since people are jumping to conclusions. I started researching Disney cruises when my granddaughter turned 5. I have read all the tips, got suggestions from friends who went on DCL and called them a few time s for clarification. I booked the cruise in December of 2014, one full year out. So no, Ex techie, I did not wait t until the last minute to book the cruise s e and I did do my research. No Disney ever again!

Thanks for your reply post.

So if you booked a year out, and are paying $10k, are not Concierge, I am going to go out on a limb and guess you have booked more than one Stateroom, two or three possibly depending on category.

In that case you haven't booked a $10k cruise vacation, you have booked two or three cruise vacations, totalling $10k. Am I wrong?

Looking at it from the outside, it does not matter that one person is footing the total bill for the cruise to the cruise line. They will sell the Staterooms regardless in most cases, so it is best you get out of the mindset that YOU are paying for the cruise completely, and what your expectations for $10k are.

Think of it more like you have bought two $5k, or a $6k and $4 vacation or however you want to divide it up.

You also need to remember you are not alone. Many others have spent the same or more, so although it is a lot of money, unfortunately it doesn't provide ANY kind of status level when cruising.

Whilst you have been researching the cruise, unfortunately you have either assumed or have been given wrong information that you would get the shore excursions you want and be able to book your onboard activities as a first time cruiser. This is unfortunate and disappointing, but had you joined here earlier and asked the question, then maybe you could have been forewarned. I think Capt BJ has said it best, that it should be about managing expectations. Obviously yours are too high regrettably.

I hope you can come to terms with your situation before your cruise and do not board with the same mentality you have at the moment as it will no doubt spoil the cruise further for you and your grand daughter.

With regards to never Disney again, I think you will find pretty much every main stream cruise line will be the same. That is if you ever decide to cruise again.

I hope you do!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

If you haven't been on a Disney ship with kids, then you may not realize all the fun things there are to do on the ship for free and without a schedule. The kids clubs are great. Characters appear throughout the day. (Yes, there can be lines, but they move quickly.) The pool area with on-deck movies is excellent (can also get crowded at peak times). There's whatever food you want with an open fountain drinks bar and virtually all-day ice cream.

My family has been on four Disney cruises - all shorter 3-, 4-, and 5-night trips. We've never even left the boat except for Castaway Cay (which I give a thumbs down) and a walk into Cozumel to buy some vanilla. We've also never been to the shows. Regardless, we have a blast, and we are eagerly looking forward to our next cruise in December.

My advice (unasked for) is to get on the ship and just enjoy the moment with your grandchild. You will have a wonderful time. Your granddaughter will have some great memories.

We are taking our first disney cruise in a few weeks. I am a seasoned cruiser on other lines, and I will say this is an experience like no other. I sat up until midnight to get an early boarding time and to get the excursions I wanted. I usually always book private excursions, and I did in one of our ports, but there are 6 of us. We wanted to do the dolphin excursion, but half the extreme swim, the other half the regular experience. I thouhgt it easier to coordinate thru DCL. That said, I did not get the time I wanted but I was able to book the excursion.

I have found planning for this cruise more stressful than most, and truthfully, I find the class system a little ridiculous. It is not like this on all other cruises. Everyone can book things at the same time. However, that said, I am looking forward to the experience, to see what all of the hype is about. My mom is taking myself, my brother, my SIL and my niece and nephew. This cruise is for the kids. It is their first time on a cruise ship, and I want them to love it. That is why I am staying up till midnight, jumping through hoops, participating in an FE gift exchange and every thing else I can possibly do to bring the Disney magic to my niece and nephew. Will I ever do it again? That remains to be seen. :)

doublemm16,

How far off your desired PAT did you get? I understand they are in 15 minute increments, starting at 10:30 and open boarding (so show up when you want) is usually around 12:30?

Regarding other lines privileges, from a quick browse and not comprehensively, Carnival offer priority Spa booking, priority check in and boarding, priority tendering

Royal offer priority departure, priority theater seating, priority waiting list seating request in the main dining room

HAL offer priority debarkation, priority tendering, priority check in

NCL offer priority check in, priority tendering, priority debarkation

So whilst they may not be for shore excursions, and everyone may book at the same time, that does not guarantee you a space. And I;m not sure what kind of ticketed events they may have?

As you posted above you wanted an early boarding time. That is the problem! So do the 4700 other Guest's on a Dream Class cruise and why they have had to implement a staged embarkation process. It might not be to everyones liking or approval, but surely that is better than the queuing, pushing and shoving that would occur other wise, recently demonstrated on the Fantasy's late arrival?

ex techie

If you haven't been on a Disney ship with kids, then you may not realize all the fun things there are to do on the ship for free and without a schedule. The kids clubs are great. Characters appear throughout the day. (Yes, there can be lines, but they move quickly.) The pool area with on-deck movies is excellent (can also get crowded at peak times). There's whatever food you want with an open fountain drinks bar and virtually all-day ice cream.

My family has been on four Disney cruises - all shorter 3-, 4-, and 5-night trips. We've never even left the boat except for Castaway Cay (which I give a thumbs down) and a walk into Cozumel to buy some vanilla. We've also never been to the shows. Regardless, we have a blast, and we are eagerly looking forward to our next cruise in December.

My advice (unasked for) is to get on the ship and just enjoy the moment with your grandchild. You will have a wonderful time. Your granddaughter will have some great memories.

Great advice!

Go with the flow!

ex techie

I am sorry for your frustration. I think that Disney sets unrealistic expectations that they are having more and more trouble living up to. They advertise all of these great things onboard (like the princess tea) but limit it's availability so they are sure that have more demand than supply.

It's frustrating to pay so much money and then to experience a let down so quickly in the planning process. Especially due to DCL's class system when it comes to pre-booking. I remember a great deal of frustration on my first cruise when I couldn't get a Palo brunch reservation. On the other hand, I didn't end up trying Palo until my 5th Disney cruise and now I don't plan on doing it for number 6. If they didn't get me hooked on it that first cruise, I am become used to cruising without it.

Even without all of the extras, I am sure you and your granddaughter will have a wonderful trip. Take a breath and maybe a second look at excursions to find something else you may enjoy.

When you board the ship, make sure that you pick up tickets for Anna & Elsa and the Princess Gathering right away. Its no tea party but at least you'll ensure your granddaughter can meet all of them with a minimal wait.

What expectations are DCL setting that they are not living up to?

They are offering services and activities that are clearly indicated to anyone with a reasonable amount of common sense on a first come, first served basis and restricted availability?

Why else would you have to restrict them to being booked in advance?

What is the solution?

Build a ship the size of the Oasis, only allow 4700 Guest's aboard as the rest of the Staterooms would be full of crew members to service each and every activity and a 25,000 sq BBB? Not exactly cost effective or realistic?

Not offer those activities and services? They would get slammed either way?

ex techie

doublemm16,

How far off your desired PAT did you get? I understand they are in 15 minute increments, starting at 10:30 and open boarding (so show up when you want) is usually around 12:30?

Regarding other lines privileges, from a quick browse and not comprehensively, Carnival offer priority Spa booking, priority check in and boarding, priority tendering

Royal offer priority departure, priority theater seating, priority waiting list seating request in the main dining room

HAL offer priority debarkation, priority tendering, priority check in

NCL offer priority check in, priority tendering, priority debarkation

So whilst they may not be for shore excursions, and everyone may book at the same time, that does not guarantee you a space. And I;m not sure what kind of ticketed events they may have?

As you posted above you wanted an early boarding time. That is the problem! So do the 4700 other Guest's on a Dream Class cruise and why they have had to implement a staged embarkation process. It might not be to everyones liking or approval, but surely that is better than the queuing, pushing and shoving that would occur other wise, recently demonstrated on the Fantasy's late arrival?

ex techie

I got the PAT time that I desired....10:45am. I understand the PAT system and have no issue with that. I would have taken whatever time I could get. This happens on all cruiselines BTW....everyone wants to get on early and shows up before their assigned boarding time. My main gripe with the pre DCL experience is the priority given to past cruisers for excursions, dining and other events. I have never set foot on a DCL ship, and I am sure I will be amazed and have a wonderful time. But I am not a Disney fanatic. I do not need to sail with characters all of the time to have a great vacation. The service on my other cruises has been top notch.

All of that said, if this trip is beyond all of my wildest dreams, I have no doubt I will be first in line to book another Disney cruise. But given the pricing, that remains to be seen.

I got the PAT time that I desired....10:45am. I understand the PAT system and have no issue with that. I would have taken whatever time I could get. This happens on all cruiselines BTW....everyone wants to get on early and shows up before their assigned boarding time. My main gripe with the pre DCL experience is the priority given to past cruisers for excursions, dining and other events. I have never set foot on a DCL ship, and I am sure I will be amazed and have a wonderful time. But I am not a Disney fanatic. I do not need to sail with characters all of the time to have a great vacation. The service on my other cruises has been top notch.

All of that said, if this trip is beyond all of my wildest dreams, I have no doubt I will be first in line to book another Disney cruise. But given the pricing, that remains to be seen.

OK, so you got the PAT you wanted. One good thing.

Dining--the only dining that needs an advance reservation is adult only dining. 1/2 of the Palo and Remy slots are held back until after boarding. If you didn't book anything or couldn't get what you want, go to "Palo reservations" at the location listed on your "Welcome Aboard" Navigator which is available in the terminal before boarding.

Royal Tea--very limited seating. If you book a concierge cabin, you'll get it. Otherwise, as someone said, you can be on line as a platinum guest at minute one and not be able to book this. HOWEVER, with all things on DCL, there are people who cancel. Continue to look on line and check with GS after boarding. Cabana at Castaway Cay--same thing.

Excursions--check at the Port Adventures desk after boarding and continue to look on line.

All of these things have limited availability. On another line, my daughter couldn't get the excursion she wanted...and it couldn't be purchased privately because Celebrity had purchased all the available slots. Oh well. Such is life. Let it ruin a cruise? Not us.

Yes, I've been on other lines with better guest services and better food than DCL. But you made that choice when you chose DCL. Yes, DCL costs more. You knew that when you made the reservation.

A person can have a GREAT cruise on DCL and not spend a penny beyond the cruise cost and tips. Or a person can spend thousands of dollars more than these costs. Get on the ship and have fun!

OK' date=' so you got the PAT you wanted. One good thing.

Dining--the only dining that needs an advance reservation is adult only dining. 1/2 of the Palo and Remy slots are held back until after boarding. If you didn't book anything or couldn't get what you want, go to "Palo reservations" at the location listed on your "Welcome Aboard" Navigator which is available in the terminal before boarding.

Royal Tea--very limited seating. If you book a concierge cabin, you'll get it. Otherwise, as someone said, you can be on line as a platinum guest at minute one and not be able to book this. HOWEVER, with all things on DCL, there are people who cancel. Continue to look on line and check with GS after boarding. Cabana at Castaway Cay--same thing.

Excursions--check at the Port Adventures desk after boarding and continue to look on line.

All of these things have limited availability. On another line, my daughter couldn't get the excursion she wanted...and it couldn't be purchased privately because Celebrity had purchased all the available slots. Oh well. Such is life. Let it ruin a cruise? Not us.

Yes, I've been on other lines with better guest services and better food than DCL. But you made that choice when you chose DCL. Yes, DCL costs more. You knew that when you made the reservation.

A person can have a GREAT cruise on DCL and not spend a penny beyond the cruise cost and tips. Or a person can spend thousands of dollars more than these costs. Get on the ship and have fun![/quote']

All of my vacations are great. Why? Because they are vacations. This one will be no less than fantastic for that reason alone. Even better because I will be with my family.

I am not a champion of any particular cruise line. Lately I have been sailing on Celebrity. But I have also been on several others. I have heard wonderful things about DCL. I am looking forward to having an amazing experience.

The only point I was trying to make and for some reason gets lost, is that there are some differences on DCL for first time cruisers. Good or bad, it just is. I am not taking shots at DCL or anyone who loves them. It is just an observation and comment.

I am not the least bit angry or bitter...nor will this impact my cruise. I am an avid researcher. I did my homework, planned to the best of my ability and am making sure my niece and nephew have the time of their lives. I read up on everything and none of the above was a surprise. Only a few weeks left and off we go! :D

I second the idea that being on a Disney cruise is a pretty exciting and wonderful experience. We don't buy many extras because the "basics" are so fantastic. My kids are happy to be on the ship with their family, and we have plenty to do without buying extras. Is your grandaughter's heart really set on the Tea party, or will she be just as thrilled to have a hotdog on deck with you and see Goofy walk by? Both are fun! We have done Palo and once lucked into a cabana, but the cruises without those extras have been just as great. I hope you have a warm, fun, funny, exciting, wonder-ful time with your family!

I am so very disappointed with Disney. This is our first cruise. It is a surprise for my granddaughter's 8th birthday. We spent $10,000 on this cruise and everything we tried to book for her was sold out before I could get online to schedule them. For example, today was the first day I could schedule any port trips. I went online at 8:00am and The dolphin excursion, zip lining, the Royal Tea were all sold out! I was told that people who had cruised with Disney before were given first priority on these items. Now, can someone please explain to me why I would give this company any more of my money and take a 2nd cruise when I couldn't get the things I needed on the first cruise, which was the most important cruise. I am so upset with Disney. I guess one person spending $10,000 on a cruise is no big deal to Disney. I hope they choke on it. Never again!

geez I had no idea. I was thinking of taking my grandkids on a Disney cruise. I have never been on Disney but have been reading about. Glad I read this, for as expensive as they are maybe I will look at another line. We will see.

geez I had no idea. I was thinking of taking my grandkids on a Disney cruise. I have never been on Disney but have been reading about. Glad I read this, for as expensive as they are maybe I will look at another line. We will see.

Sprint, this person is upset and hasn't even been on the ship yet. Yes, DCL does allow return cruisers and those who book at concierge level to schedule excursions, nursery hours (for infants), adult dining, spa, etc. before first timers. But many of those things continue to be available even after boarding the ship. Yes, there are a few things that "sell out." These include the Royal Tea and the cabanas on Castaway Cay...but even those may open up during the on line booking period or after boarding as some guests may regret having booked at the high cost these command.

You can do NONE of these things and still have an amazing cruise. OP was having a rant because she didn't get everything she wanted. OK. How often in life do you get EVERYTHING you want? Honestly, we've had DCL cruises that were better than others, but we've never had a BAD DCL cruise. Don't let a rant from someone who hasn't even boarded the ship yet deter you.

Many lines have "class" separations or loyalty programs for on board/shore bookings, spa appointments, alternative dining, when you are allowed to embark, even a pillow menu, etc. You either pay for a suite or you sail enough times to get them. This works for the cruise lines - as it used to be only Cunard with Grills class (they never stopped this system, your cabin class has always dictated your restaurant on there - for the past 175 years!) - but now NCL, MSC, Disney, HAL, Princess and others caught on and have separate "ship within a ship" facilities, some more extensive than others. If they were not popular among most travelers, they would decommission those facilities, but instead, more of them are being built in and planned. Cruise lines know they make money, so I suspect the "ship within a ship" priority experience will grow even more. Some people do not like that system, and there are plenty of comments on various CC boards about it but - it is here to stay I believe. Disney's priority reservations seem to cause more consternation than others. I have never used priority status on the other line I sail to book excursions or on board alternative dining, etc., because it isn't necessary, but on Disney I made sure I used it because it seems to be extremely popular and necessary to do if you want a specific activity at a specific time, or if you want to absolutely have main seating dining, etc.

I am so very disappointed with Disney. This is our first cruise. It is a surprise for my granddaughter's 8th birthday. We spent $10,000 on this cruise and everything we tried to book for her was sold out before I could get online to schedule them. For example, today was the first day I could schedule any port trips. I went online at 8:00am and The dolphin excursion, zip lining, the Royal Tea were all sold out! I was told that people who had cruised with Disney before were given first priority on these items. Now, can someone please explain to me why I would give this company any more of my money and take a 2nd cruise when I couldn't get the things I needed on the first cruise, which was the most important cruise. I am so upset with Disney. I guess one person spending $10,000 on a cruise is no big deal to Disney. I hope they choke on it. Never again!

So you haven't taken the cruise yet? Things will probably open up on board. I wouldn't get too discouraged. Once you get on board, its worth seeking out openings. It should have to happen like that, but it does.

I think cruise lines do this in order to drive participation.

My thoughts as a person who has sailed DCL 8 times (all 7+ days, 2TAs, PC, etc.):

* If you did do a lot of research, as you mentioned, you would've known that booking those things would be out of reach for a first-time cruiser. It's just the way it goes.

* There is plenty to do on the ship, and frankly, those special "events" don't thrill me or my children at all. I don't think she will be missing out to the point that it will ruin your cruise.

* I have very strong feelings about child entitlement. As a psychologist, I can tell you that it is sad to see how children are taught that their happiness supersedes others and people try to keep their youngsters in some sort of happy bubble. Bad things, disappointment, hurt, failure...all those things happen A LOT in life. The sooner they get used to it and figure out how to cope, the better. She will have plenty of opportunity in the future to experience other things.

* Sorry, but $10k is nothing to DCL. For our Greek Isles cruise next year, the Royals paid $65k. The British Isles sailing went for $68k. Our 4B was $21k for 2A, 2C and I booked on opening day for gold (the day before it went public). And even I expect things to be sold out already when my online window opens.

* The CMs will be great, especially with your granddaughter. You will experience a level of service that (IMHO) surpasses all but is difficult to describe. It's a vibe, an aura...they just treat you differently.

* Private excursions are the way to go. Much better than with a giant group of people on a bus. I understand that some prefer the guarantee that you won't miss the ship, but we have never had any problems.

I do wish you the best, and hope that your experience shifts while on board. We cruise RCI for the different ports, but truly do prefer DCL for the magical experiences. She will have plenty of opportunity to meet the characters, and there are plenty of exciting activities for her to enjoy.

turn it off gang

she ain't been playin since Oct 6

Hahaha totally didn't even notice that! Thanks for the laugh though! :D

It's still a great reminder for new cruisers to have high expectations for their cruise, as long as they are realistic.

ex techie

I also have to give the poster up thread props for daring to mention the child entitlement issue, especially when this thread almost certainly comes down to a $300 princess tea party. (Don't get ME started on how little girls should grow up with higher aspirations than "princess with a nice dress". Talk about a harsh comedown when you hit real life.)

Anyway, we'd both get eaten alive on other Disney forums.

Edited by perditax

I was very disappointed with the same issue. No princess tea or cabanas and those were the only 2 things I cared about :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People get way too set on giving a lot of extra money to DCL. We had many wonderful days at Castaway Cay before the cabanas existed. They aren't necessary for a great time.

But if those things really matter to someone, the only way I know to get them is to book concierge.

Edited by moki'smommy