Emerald Princess Rome to Barcelona September 26 -October 3 2015 in photos and video

Bimmer09

Jackie, if you do go and Silvano isn't visible outside, go inside and if he's there tell him you'd like to have him serve you. The table we sat at wasn't covered by him but I asked him to serve us-no problem!

Norris

We are going to try and hunt him down next week. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Jackie, if you do go and Silvano isn't visible outside, go inside and if he's there tell him you'd like to have him serve you. The table we sat at wasn't covered by him but I asked him to serve us-no problem!

Norris

Will do and I'll tell him you recommended the restaurant to us.

Keep the info coming as I'm padding my cruise binder with a lot of info.

Jackie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Hi Norris, It's been great following your days in Rome. The pictures are amazing (think I mentioned this already). Lots of great ideas for when we're in Rome (both sights and eats). I look forward to the cruise portion of your trip. (Particularly looking forward to Cinque Terre, Florence and Barcelona.)

Thank you for your great review and truly beautiful pictures. I am really enjoying following your trip. On a side note...our first Alaska cruise was on the Song of Norway...still had actual room keys and sea water in the blue toilets! We had a blast. Judy

Norris,

Imagine my excitement as I opened CC and saw your new review in progress. I am an avid follower of your reports and as a lover of cruising, photography, and travel, especially to Europe, I could not stop reading and enjoying your pictures.

So far, your trip to Rome has brought back so many wonderful memories of that wonderful city. We have been to lots of wonderful places, but Rome is so special to us, because it was our first stop on our first European trip. It was magical to us to actually be there.

Thanks again for sharing all your wonderful pictures, experiences, meals and travel wonders. I'm going to enjoy following along. We love the Emerald and I'm especially looking forward to hearing about your Barcelona experience, another city we absolutely loved.

Ron

Oh you have really sparked my interest (if that was even more possible) for our trip to Rome next week. We will be there for five nights and I am drolling over the sights, but more the food/wine/beer/dessert

Thanks for posting.

Vickie

Vickie- have a great time in Rome!!

I wish we had eaten more regularly so I could have shown you more restaurant options. At home we have breakfast, lunch and a late dinner but we got so wrapped up in seeing the city that lunch got skipped without either of us noticing it. As we have done the major sites by now we may be able to slow down on our next visit whenever that is.

Where in the city are you staying?

Thanks for stopping by.

Norris

Hi Norris, It's been great following your days in Rome. The pictures are amazing (think I mentioned this already). Lots of great ideas for when we're in Rome (both sights and eats). I look forward to the cruise portion of your trip. (Particularly looking forward to Cinque Terre, Florence and Barcelona.)

Hi, I should get us onto the ship today. The only fly in my ointment are issues with the videos which sucked hours out of my day yesterday and are still not fixed.

In the worst case scenario I'll have to soldier on without them and add them when (if) my issue is fixed but they will be out of the timeline. I have two video programs on my laptop (iMovie and a Sony one) and both are flawed. Fingers crossed.

I haven't looked at the photos from the places you mention yet- but they were all scenic and interesting. Barcelona was a revelation. Love at first sight/bite for both of us!

Nice to see you again!

Norris

Thank you for your great review and truly beautiful pictures. I am really enjoying following your trip. On a side note...our first Alaska cruise was on the Song of Norway...still had actual room keys and sea water in the blue toilets! We had a blast. Judy

Ah, a new face-welcome!

Thanks for the compliments and for following along. It's taken me over 100 posts to cover the first two days...

Song of Norway-wow that is going back a ways...29 years since I stepped off her in Miami and settled in the USA.

Very primitive by today's ships. No balconies or suites. One small cold pool filled with seawater. One restaurant, 2 big lounges and a late night disco that closed down at 3 a.m. That's where I played mostly during my 21 hour work week.

Capacity was 1200 pax but some weeks there could be as little as 700 which would suggest they didn't dump the cabins. Prices about the same as today in the brochure I still have.

Lot of music on the pool deck-Caribbean Band. Polish dance bands in the lounges.

Bar waiters spinning trays and having a laugh with the guests. Midnight buffets with a live band. Mariachi band strolling the dining room at lunch time in Cozumel. Theme nights in the MDR where the head waiters wore Gondolier

outfits or French Gendarme costumes. Live strolling band on those nights. Fun.

I have many photos from those days.

Even though the ship was spartan by today's standards the pax loved it and from that little ship the RCCL brand grew to the giant it is today.

Thanks for reminding me of her!

Norris

Norris,

Imagine my excitement as I opened CC and saw your new review in progress. I am an avid follower of your reports and as a lover of cruising, photography, and travel, especially to Europe, I could not stop reading and enjoying your pictures.

So far, your trip to Rome has brought back so many wonderful memories of that wonderful city. We have been to lots of wonderful places, but Rome is so special to us, because it was our first stop on our first European trip. It was magical to us to actually be there.

Thanks again for sharing all your wonderful pictures, experiences, meals and travel wonders. I'm going to enjoy following along. We love the Emerald and I'm especially looking forward to hearing about your Barcelona experience, another city we absolutely loved.

Ron

Ron, good to see you again. Thanks for joining us!

The Barcelona experience is one I'll be very happy to share. It exceeded our expectations and then some.

When we first visited Rome in September 2014 we didn't realize how much of an impact it would have on us-we had a lot of "pinch me" moments.

In this story we will leave Rome (today)-but we know we will be back for a third visit someday.

Stay tuned.

Norris

Vickie- have a great time in Rome!!

I wish we had eaten more regularly so I could have shown you more restaurant options. At home we have breakfast, lunch and a late dinner but we got so wrapped up in seeing the city that lunch got skipped without either of us noticing it. As we have done the major sites by now we may be able to slow down on our next visit whenever that is.

Where in the city are you staying?

Thanks for stopping by.

Norris

Hi Norris

We are staying at the Green Apartments - yup that is the name. It is a small four plex. He rents out all four apts for visitors. It is right near the Colosseum for a very good rate. It will be lovely having a kitchen. There is a small terrace that all the apts share and everyone who is staying here before the trip is from the cruise we are boarding on the Sunday. I see wine being enjoyed there.

Keep the posts coming I am looking forward to it. I will be blogging too, you can find a link in my signature.

Hi Norris

We are staying at the Green Apartments - yup that is the name. It is a small four plex. He rents out all four apts for visitors. It is right near the Colosseum for a very good rate. It will be lovely having a kitchen. There is a small terrace that all the apts share and everyone who is staying here before the trip is from the cruise we are boarding on the Sunday. I see wine being enjoyed there.

Keep the posts coming I am looking forward to it. I will be blogging too, you can find a link in my signature.

Apartment sounds good Vickie-especially near the Colosseum! I have never seen it lit at night-take photos for your blog please.

Wine on the terrace-some cheese, grapes and olives-la Dolce Vita!

Meantime I have called Apple Support to help me fix my video issues.

Video files uploading...

Norris

My promise to my patient readers....we will get to the ship TODAY

First I have to finish the Rome part of the trip. We have Rome in Limo coming at 11 a.m. We've had a light breakfast, some great coffee, visited the Pantheon, packed our luggage and attached our Emerald Princess luggage tags Now that is exciting!!

We've spent two short glorious days in Rome and our heads are still swimming from that. A blur.

Those two days were spent in Albergo del Senato.

Here are a few shots from the hotel. First our room.

21470929223_73b005f8f5_b.jpg[/url]

21470931463_508ef46d79_b.jpg

21903881160_23828b154f_b.jpg

22079558622_794c49e911_b.jpg

22079561472_d823a98102_b.jpg

21905148789_af2ddb0705_b.jpg

• Like 1

absolutely beautiful pictures and review so far. greatly enjoying!

Thanks indeed!

People enjoying this is what it's all about.

I have time to upload a bunch of stuff today. I spoke to Apple and have my video problem fixed-so....full steam ahead!

Norris

Here is my last batch of Rome photos, taken early on Embarkation Day, in the square in front of the hotel.

We start with the 4 sides of the fountain and the fierce animal faces there....

22149733262_0de92e078c_b.jpg[/url]

22172596171_095e332067_b.jpg

22162360795_e2aaf6af80_b.jpg

21974547398_4f3ecb1f54_b.jpg

22149745452_af1817634c_b.jpg

Restaurant trash being picked up in the morning

There are a couple of handy things in the square...

and an ATM

Many small cars like this to fit into the tight parking spots

Horse and carriage rides

Tiny little streets to explore

21539605674_c8e78b5c7f_b.jpg

21975522659_cf3ff61372_b.jpg

• Like 1

Eye-catching mobile souvenir shop

Back at the hotel we are packed and we take our luggage down to reception in the tiny elevators (one each as they are so small).

Rome in Limo is on it's way.

Norris

I'm right with you Norris I'm squeezing in between you and Carol just imagine I'm not there (wait I wasn't there but I feel like I am)

Norris, what kind of converter did you use for your room/computer etc?

Looks pretty small.

Keith, I took a huge thing about 8in x 5in which Carol got a day before we left and it weighed about 1.5 lbs- but we didn't use it (at least I didn't) I'm not in the house where it lives today but I will get you more info/a photo tomorrow.

Most of our gear is 110/220 and just needed a tiny plug adaptor to the Euro 2 round pin configuration. Some things like my Sony camcorder I charged through a USB port in my laptop.

I'll get back to you.

Norris