Celebrity departure transfers Istanbul

gillsjottings

Hi,

We are beginning to make plans for our 2016 Med cruise on the Equinox. Just wondering whether anyone has taken the Celebrity transfer from the port of Istanbul to the airport?

On the Celebrity website it states that the arrival at the airport is 12:00, which makes me wonder whether those passengers taking the transfer get to spend the morning on the ship? I would have thought they would want all passengers off the ship asap.

I'd love to hear from someone who as actually taken one of these transfers whether you in fact arrive at the airport earlier than 12:00. Our flight leaves at 16:30, so we wouldn't really want to arrive at the airport any earlier than 12:00.

I also wondered about luggage. If you take the Celebrity transfer would they take care of your luggage from the time you put it out your door the night before until you arrive at the airport, or would you need to collect it from the carousel at the port and take it to the vehicle that would be transferring you to the airport? We are going to be travelling with a toddler, so the logistics are quite challenging this time around!

See you are fairly new to Cruise Crutic. Suggest you either ask your question on your ships roll call and or go to ports and look there. Either place is much more likely to get your question answered. I do know you need to pick up your bags in the terminal and move them about 30-40 meters to your transport.

All passengers are asked to disembark by 9:30 and would think the shuttle would get to the airport in about an hour.

Edited by az_tchr

Suggest you either ask your question on your ships roll call and or go to ports and look there. Either place is much more likely to get your question answered.

Thanks for your response az-tchr. I figured that most the people on my roll call would probably not have taken a Celebrity transfer in Istanbul before, as it appears that for the majority of them this is their first time visiting Europe. I was hoping that some people who had recently disembarked in Istanbul might have some details for me.

I did search the Mediterranean ports page and could find no relevant info. As this is specifically a Celebrity-related question, I felt it was probably better suited to the Celebrity page, than a page that deals with all the different cruise lines.

All passengers are asked to disembark by 9:30 and would think the shuttle would get to the airport in about an hour.

^Agreed, in my experience we have always disembarked by 9:30 and I also gather it takes roughly an hour to the airport, so it seemed strange to me that the Celebrity website says that time of arrival at the airport is 12:00. :confused:

Perhaps I will try phoning them to get more info.

Recently back from Constellation where we took the Celebrity transfer from the port to the airport. Here is a copy of the disembark sheet which hopefully you can read ok. They will probably want everyone off the ship by 9am. Our flight was at 1pm and we were originally in the 7.20am group, but I had it changed to 8.45am. We were delayed off the ship because of immigration hold ups and walked off at 9.30am, but still plenty of time. The traffic in Istanbul is very busy, but I've done the journey a couple of times in around 45 minutes.

disembark_zpsoyb78vzq.jpg

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Gill jottings just wanted to let you know about our experience but it was not on Celebrity.

Plan on one hour to get to the airport. It's not that it is that far from the city but traffic is the issue.

Depending on which airline you are sailing with some of the ticket counters don't open up until around 2 hours and 30 minutes or maybe 3 hours before departure. The ticket area has very little if anything to do there. Once you do get your boarding passes and check in then the main terminal area is quite nice with lots of shopping, etc.

I would either take the Celebrity Transfer or arrange private transfer. I would not take a taxi.

Keith

Was there last year October. Booked the Celebrity transfer, if I remember correctly was about $ (maybe Euro) 30 per person. After I found out I had to take the 7.30 bus for my afternoon flight, I cancelled and with 2 other passengers organized private transport leaving around 10 when everyone had to get off the ship. Was a very clean, punctual minivan for approx 50 Euro total. Driver waited for us where we came out of customs/emigration and was very helpful carrying luggage. Unfortunately do not know name of company anymore. Took almost 1 hour to get to airport, where we still had to wait quite a long time before we could check in (think 2-3 hours before flight, depending where you go) and get to the main terminal where as mentioned before there are nice shops and restaurants.

If you are a couple of persons, taxi or minivan is cheaper and best alternative.

Thank you so much for the replies. excitedofharpenden thanks especially for posting the disembark sheet - that makes it all very clear. I am thinking that a privately organised transfer may be the way for us to go. Really appreciate the advice :)