Checked Luggage vs. Carry On Bags

evelynaw

We are cruising on Carnival and the guidelines for checked luggage size are the same as for carry on bag size. I get the sense that the distinction between carry on and checked is whether or not you want to be holding onto your bag until your room is ready.

We are very light packers. On our last week-long vacation to an all inclusive, I packed a 20" spinner bag and a large purse, and he packed an 18" bag. It will probably be the same for our cruise.

Do you think it would be a pain in the butt to carry these bags on instead of checking them? How long are you typically waiting before rooms are ready? Check in is from 1-3pm and we leave port at 4pm, if that makes any difference.

Personally, I prefer having my bag where I can see it - So, I don't mind lugging it around with me since it a 22-inch duffel bag with wheels. Makes unpacking alot sooner than later too - Room's Ready is announced, I can just make a beeline to my cabin instead of waiting for my bag to deliver later that evening. (Remember, your checked bag has to go through x-rays along with thousand other people bags which can take a while, like about 6pm or later delivery time. Unlike carry-on, where it's x-ray while you're getting scanned / wanded at the same time). Plus I don't have to worry about port employees or the cruise line breaking the handle to the bag like they did last time with my checked bag - I'm never going to check a bag again at port, too much extra anxiety to start off a trip, for me anyway....

It all depends on your level of comfort - if carrying your carry-on bag is too much of an hassle, then check it in. If you don't mind carrying/wheeling it for extra hour or 3, then carry your bag.

You don't have to wait for "your check-in" time!!! They are simply trying to spread out the newcomers...if you arrive earlier, they will check you in. Cabins are ready around 1pm...so if you don't mind dragging your stuff around with you, then carry it on. ANYTHING of value should NEVER be checked....so most folks will have something they are carrying on!

We are pretty light packers and the largest suitcase we own is 20", so I don't think we will have any issues fitting through the x-rays. ;)

I have seen posts about people arriving for embarkation around 10 or 11am, but our cruise boarding pass document says that you're not supposed to arrive sooner than 30 minutes ahead of the 1pm check in time. Hopefully our rooms will be ready shortly after we get on the ship :)

We always pack in airline carry on size bags which fit very nicely through the scanner at the port. We choose to keep them with us as we don't fight any lines for lunch and are unpacked and enjoying the ship as soon as the rooms open. our final reason is no chance of misplaced luggage.

Have fun!

It all depends on your level of comfort - if carrying your carry-on bag is too much of an hassle, then check it in. If you don't mind carrying/wheeling it for extra hour or 3, then carry your bag.

Or go on a line such as Princess that allows you to go to your cabin as soon as you board.

You can board as early as noon (be at the pier by 11am and get checked in)

Cabins become available about 1:30 so if you are on by noon you keep your stuff with you until 1:30 and head directly to the buffet area.

Checking your bags will have your bags to you by 5pm.

you can pay for the service to get to the lines quicker-- first to get bags and your cabin ready when you board-- The service is called FASTER TO THE FUN (FTF) and costs 50.00 per cabin Not per person. but only a limited supply is available

Or go on a line such as Princess that allows you to go to your cabin as soon as you board.

We are already booked on Carnival ;) I feel like it has a bit of a bad reputation as a low-class "party and get sloppy" cruise line, but I've read quite a few reviews from people who frequently cruise on some of the more premium lines and were pleasantly surprised by what the Breeze has to offer. I'm hoping for the best :)