Travelling with toddler - 20 month old - list. Please help!

EscaladeHybrid

We are new parents and we will be travelling with our toddler for the first time. She is 20 month old, still use diapers and eats regular food but cannot live without cow’s milk. I would like to get your recommendations of what to bring on the cruise and while flying with the toddler as well. I already read some posts and here is my list but please help me with anything that I forgot to mention. Again this is for flying, on the cruise and while in port. We will be on Oasis in a month!

An inflatable tub/blow up paddling pool

Watering can for playing in above

Baby cutlery

Extra nappies and wipes

Zip-lock type bags

Stacking cup type toy

Dishwasher detergent for washing cups/bottles

Brush for washing bottles

Disposable bibs

Pre-mixed drinkable formula in case milk is not available while in ports

Soft sided Cooler

Ice packets for keeping milk cool

Plastic container

Drinking cup

Baby carrier

Disposable bags

Stroller

Car Seat

Toys

Sunscreen

Hat/glasses

Baby soap

Baby food jars for port days

Receiving Blanket

Diapers/wipes

Horizon milk boxes (don't have to be refrigerated): http://www.walmart.com/ip/Horizon-Organic-1-Organic-Lowfat-Milk-8-fl-oz-6-count/35506194

I would do apple sauce or baby food pouches instead of jars. Don't have to worry about breaking, and no need for spoons when you are out and about.

For flying, most airports will let you wear a baby/toddler in a baby carrier through security. This is a lifesaver when I fly alone with DS, but still very handy when we have DH or another adult with us. Personally, I am ok with lap babies but will never again fly with a lap toddler. The flight is much more pleasant for everyone if I buy him a seat and use his car seat on the plane.

When you fly, put one set of extra clothes for everyone in your carry on bag. You never know when you will get poop, puke, a spilled drink, etc. on your lap when you have a toddler with you!

Assuming you are flying in the day before, I would buy diapers, baby food, snacks, etc. at a store near the port. DS was only 10 months when we cruised (though I have flown with him at every age from 2-18 months) but we went to a K-Mart that was near our hotel in Florida and picked up diapers, baby food, a box of cheerios, and a few other things the afternoon before we cruised.

I would use disposable bottles, to avoid the washing paraphernalia! Receiving blanket???? Or "blankie"! Yes..bring any comfort items. You don't need a watering can....

If you aren't in a suite, you will need the blow-up tub for bathing,...not for playing.

Sounds like you've got what you need!

But I heard people said here that saw how workers were disinfecting them at the end of the day. I would come very early morning and pick up mine and would lysol them again.... It doesn't matter how many toys I bring, my baby gets bored with it pretty quick, she just loves variety, spend 5 min with one toy and off she goes, so I don't want to bring suitcase with all the toys.

Whoever had experience please let me know. Is it free of charge? Are there good toys? Are they easily available? Please let me know, that will give me an idea how much of our own toys to bring?

I definitely agree with getting to your embarkation city at least a day ahead (try for the morning if the day before). This way you'll have time to go to the store and stock up on what you couldn't pack.

I would add "medicine" for the toddler. The ship's store won't have them (and whatever they do carry will have a giant markup) and it could be that the infirmary will have a limited variety of medicine for the little one.

We brought baby Advil and a baby allergy medicine and powdered pedialyte. We didn't need any of it, but better safe than sorry.

We brought her blanket, pillow, lovey and a bedtime story. She liked climbing around and playing in the empty lounges during the day and we had grandparents there to help entertain.

It went really well, she had just turned two. We went again when she was three and it was even better. Good luck, hope you have a great trip!

Great advice! I added some additional items to my already robust list for my daughters. I had a few questions though.

1. We are sailing on NCL. Do they have whole milk available?

2. I will have a 15 mo and 4 year old sailing with me. What do you do if your kids get seasick?

Disposable bottles? Never heard of them? where to buy those? Can someone give a link where to buy them in Canada? We tend NOT TO HAVE anything that you guys have in States..... :(

I'm sure all the other Canadians will be happy to hear that!:eek: Just go to a Walmart or similar in the baby section and ask about bottles with disposable "liners". They are much more convenient and you won't need dish wash soap. Where in Canada do you live anyway? Your list of stuff sounds fine with the exceptions mentioned here...don't overthink this...you are not going to a third world country!:D Have fun! :)

That's a great point. I never ever used any medicine for my toddler and since the day she was born. Can you please tell me what medicine I should bring for her just in case? I would really appreciate your help on this one.

Don't forget something for diaper rash since a change in baby's routine/food can sometimes cause this to happen. Probably won't, but better safe than sorry.:)

Yes, definitely a good one. I will take cream against the rush. Humidity and all that will definitely affect it. I am from Alberta and will definitely visit Walmart for disposable bottles.

What else from medicine I need to take. Like something against stomach bug, or fever?

A thermometer so on the off chance your child gets a fever, you know if there's a need to see the doctor.

By the way, we visited the doctors on board a number of times when my girls were toddlers - the medical staff was always wonderful and well-prepared.

Best,

Mia

Yes, definitely a good one. I will take cream against the rush. Humidity and all that will definitely affect it. I am from Alberta and will definitely visit Walmart for disposable bottles.

What else from medicine I need to take. Like something against stomach bug, or fever?

Bring Benadryl. It will help with sea sickness. We are going on the Allure in a month with our 20 month old. We plan to bring just about all meds for her. Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Benadryl, Butt Paste, Gas X, and potentially Gripe Water. The gripe water has ginger in it which will also help with sea sickness.

You might want to bring some beach toys as well. You could probably find those easily near the port before departure.

I also didnt see you list a bathing suit and swim diapers. You will want at least 2 bathing suits. We plan on bringing 2 and they both have long sleeved rash guards.

Horizon milk boxes (don't have to be refrigerated): http://www.walmart.com/ip/Horizon-Organic-1-Organic-Lowfat-Milk-8-fl-oz-6-count/35506194

I would do apple sauce or baby food pouches instead of jars. Don't have to worry about breaking, and no need for spoons when you are out and about.

For flying, most airports will let you wear a baby/toddler in a baby carrier through security. This is a lifesaver when I fly alone with DS, but still very handy when we have DH or another adult with us. Personally, I am ok with lap babies but will never again fly with a lap toddler. The flight is much more pleasant for everyone if I buy him a seat and use his car seat on the plane.

When you fly, put one set of extra clothes for everyone in your carry on bag. You never know when you will get poop, puke, a spilled drink, etc. on your lap when you have a toddler with you!

Assuming you are flying in the day before, I would buy diapers, baby food, snacks, etc. at a store near the port. DS was only 10 months when we cruised (though I have flown with him at every age from 2-18 months) but we went to a K-Mart that was near our hotel in Florida and picked up diapers, baby food, a box of cheerios, and a few other things the afternoon before we cruised.

I second the horizon milk. It is so convenient even to take in port because it doesn't need to be refrigerated. I always buy a big box at Sams/Costco before we go cruising. We also bring kids ibuprofen, tylenol, and benadryl.

Don't forget sunscreen and if your kid will wear it a hat. Also sand toys.

That's a great point. I never ever used any medicine for my toddler and since the day she was born. Can you please tell me what medicine I should bring for her just in case? I would really appreciate your help on this one.

I would imagine your pediatrician will be happy to help with suggestions. My Girl Scoutism is showing, but I feel it's better to be prepared than to suddenly need something for a fever and not to find something in the ship's store (if it's even open at that moment). My little one had preferences by her first cruise (at 22 months) of flavors she would take. So I would bring Tylenol (in non-grape) if she needed it as she was a late teether. She needed some anti-histamine for a rare cold on one cruise and the ship's infirmary had only one type, and not the one I would normally give her. Learned my lesson to carefully check the medicine cabinet.

I'm not a parent, but I do have 14 nieces and nephews :D

You've gotten great advice. What I would suggest is look in your medicine cabinet and take a supply of what you would normally have on hand for your little one. I'd also start really paying attention to what the little one uses on a daily basis (favorite sippy cup, favorite bath toy, et cetera) and make sure you pack those. And then just plan on hitting a Wal-Mart or Target or whatever close to the cruise port for the big items -- diapers, et cetera -- that you wouldn't want to lug on a plane.

We'll be taking our 22 mo old on his 4th cruise at the end of this month. We haven't sailed RCCL since he was born so we haven't experienced the toy check-out programs. We always take a variety of small toys. We also take a variety of his books as we read books every night before bed. Our son is used to showering as opposed to baths so we don't bother with the inflatable tub (we took it once and for us it was more of a pain). As far as meds, we always take infant Tylenol, diaper cream, triple antibiotic salve, band-aids. I put some dish soap in a small travel shampoo bottle and take the bottle brush and the # of bottles he drinks in a day (3 now) plus a straw cup. So basically I wash bottles once/day. In addition to what you have listed we always take his sunglasses, swimsuit, baby powder (helps remove sand more easily if you go to the beach), some sort of door decoration (just for fun, helps him recognize our room as we approach it and it's exciting for him), a nightlight. We also usually take enough laundry soap & dryer sheets for a couple loads of laundry (just in case), but I don't remember RCCL having laundry facilities. Of course the laundry soap could still be a help if you need to wash something out in the sink and hang up in the shower. Hope this helps. Have a great time!

As per your recommendation I started search for Organic Valley and Horizon milk in Fort Lauderdale grocery stores and they don’t have it. I am specifically looking for the milk that doesn’t need to be stored in the fridge, so called shelf milk and I was told that brands above sell them in 8 fl cartons, it basically looks like a juice box with a straw but it’s milk. I need it to take on a cruise with me for my baby to have on the islands and I was told that it’s widely available in Fort Lauderdale. I checked Walmart and it’s out of stock in all stores within the areas. I called Publix and they sell it only in half a gallon size which is very inconvenient for me. Does anybody know where to buy this size of a milk in Fort Lauderdale?? Thanks a lot.

As per your recommendation I started search for Organic Valley and Horizon milk in Fort Lauderdale grocery stores and they don’t have it. I am specifically looking for the milk that doesn’t need to be stored in the fridge, so called shelf milk and I was told that brands above sell them in 8 fl cartons, it basically looks like a juice box with a straw but it’s milk. I need it to take on a cruise with me for my baby to have on the islands and I was told that it’s widely available in Fort Lauderdale. I checked Walmart and it’s out of stock in all stores within the areas. I called Publix and they sell it only in half a gallon size which is very inconvenient for me. Does anybody know where to buy this size of a milk in Fort Lauderdale?? Thanks a lot.

If you cant find it anywhere in FLL you could always either order through Amazon and have it shipped to your hotel, or you could alternatively buy a small cooler (think lunch box sized) and put regular milk in there with a bunch of ice. That will keep the milk cold enough and you could always get more ice from any bar/restaurant that you go to on the island.