Cost of Drinks?

evelynaw

Trying to figure out whether or not we want to buy the Cheers! package for our upcoming cruise on the Breeze... how much do drinks typically cost? We are usually fans of mojitos, beer, and the occasional frozen drink when on vacation, if that makes any sort of difference.

I know there is a 15 drink max per day with the cheers program, which is more than enough for us. I'm just wondering how much you would need to drink to "break even"... I don't want to feel pressured to drink more than I normally would just to get my money's worth. Hangovers don't belong on vacation!! :D

Depending on what you are drinking, if figure average drink cost around $8 your break even point is 6 drinks. We have done it in the past when we drank more than we do now & it has saved us money. Only on a sea day do we get close that 6 drink level so don't get it anymore. FYI if you are going to do it, either wait until you are out to sea or the next day so you don't have to pay the sales tax.

Depending on what you are drinking, if figure average drink cost around $8 your break even point is 6 drinks. We have done it in the past when we drank more than we do now & it has saved us money. Only on a sea day do we get close that 6 drink level so don't get it anymore. FYI if you are going to do it, either wait until you are out to sea or the next day so you don't have to pay the sales tax.

I do not think that you have to pay a sales tax on purchase of the Cheers program even if you buy it in port. You will have a gratuity added to it, and you will have to pay taxes on each drink that you buy while in the port, but not on the whole package. (This might be slightly different in Galveston, but not in any other port.)

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

Trying to figure out whether or not we want to buy the Cheers! package for our upcoming cruise on the Breeze... how much do drinks typically cost? We are usually fans of mojitos, beer, and the occasional frozen drink when on vacation, if that makes any sort of difference.

I know there is a 15 drink max per day with the cheers program, which is more than enough for us. I'm just wondering how much you would need to drink to "break even"... I don't want to feel pressured to drink more than I normally would just to get my money's worth. Hangovers don't belong on vacation!! :D

Keep in mind you have to to drink that much everyday, just to break even.

if you purchase cheers can you buy it on day you want or if you buy it for each day of your cruise so a 7 day cruise would cost $349? that's a lot of alcohol.

If you think about it. your on a cruise, you wake up in the morning and eat breakfast and then head for shore to do your shore excursion and your gone most all day off the ship.

You get back to the ship, , shower, change cloths and possible head for dinner. That leaves a few hours in the evening to down at least 8 drinks to break even on cheers and then pass out somewhere on the ship. Wake up the next morning with a hang over and repeat yesterday day over again by trying to eat breakfast with a hangover, get off the ship at the next port for your next shore excursion, gone all day off the ship, come back at the end of the day, eat dinner and down another minimum 8 drinks to again break even, pass out, wake up repeat.

get the idea?

up to you though.

Keep in mind you have to to drink that much everyday, just to break even.

Actually, you only need to AVERAGE that much per day. You could, on sea days, get to 10-11 drinks (and not be passed-out drunk). On port days, it may only be 2, 3 or 4. But if the AVERAGE hits 6 or so per day, you are at that break-even point.

We didn't get it on our first cruise and I regretted that!

We are booked for Dream next year and I AM 100% sure we are getting the drink package.

If you have a couple of frozen drinks at the pool, a couple of glasses of wine at dinner and a few that evening during shows or at a bar....it is worth it.

I didn't drink near as much as I would have because the drinks were so expensive and I wasn't prepared. I'll be better prepared on the next cruise.

Even on port days, we were back in plenty of time to enjoy enough drinks to make the package worth it.

I say...if you think you want it...get it!! I wish we had.

if you purchase cheers can you buy it on day you want or if you buy it for each day of your cruise so a 7 day cruise would cost $349? that's a lot of alcohol.

If you think about it. your on a cruise, you wake up in the morning and eat breakfast and then head for shore to do your shore excursion and your gone most all day off the ship.

You get back to the ship, , shower, change cloths and possible head for dinner. That leaves a few hours in the evening to down at least 8 drinks to break even on cheers and then pass out somewhere on the ship. Wake up the next morning with a hang over and repeat yesterday day over again by trying to eat breakfast with a hangover, get off the ship at the next port for your next shore excursion, gone all day off the ship, come back at the end of the day, eat dinner and down another minimum 8 drinks to again break even, pass out, wake up repeat.

get the idea?

up to you though.

On the same note, you wake up have a few bloody Mary's with breakfast, go out for the day and come back and grab a beer on your way to your room to get ready for dinner. Grab cocktail in the bar on the main deck on the way to the MDR and possibly another with your appetizer, wine with dinner and maybe follow up with drinks while you enjoy the ship the rest of the night.

It's pretty easy to spend a $1k on drinks if you cruise with groups which we do while on the other hand I've been on cruises and haven't spent a dime. I know my dad buy it every cruise he goes on:eek:

We just budget it in as part of the cost of the cruise. We plan to have that expense, and especially now that we can buy it ahead of time then we don't have the huge bill at the end of the cruise.

It's just our way of making the trip feel more "all inclusive", it's a fixed cost for any alcohol we'd consume and like hotels we just want it to be taken care of in one shot.

Drinks are a lot cheaper in port as well. And if you do any all inclusive excursions you will be drinking as well. 7 day cruise, with 4 ports. I really don't understand how the Cheers program is a good deal from most people. Some people maybe, but I wouldn't want their liver :D

I don't understand thinking it's not a good deal.

If I wake up in the morning and have a Kahlua and coffee or a mimosa or two, a couple of drinks at lunch and dinner, and then spend an evening bar hopping, it's easy to reach 6-7 drinks.

I drink ice water throughout, so I was never fall-down drunk or anything. Also, I never woke up feeling hungover. I imagine it's due to the drink at breakfast and all the water I drink in between.

I only drink once or twice a month at home.

The point is, to each his own. The Cheers Program is offered because there's demand for it. To people being judgmental regarding people who choose to let loose on their vacation, mind your own business. No one is forcing you to purchase the program.

For me and my friend, it's worth it.

It's a good deal if you drink from the time you get up until you go to bed and you do that every day on your cruise.

When I was younger I could do it, but I do longer cruises now, usually 10+ days, and I have no desire to drink that much alcohol every day.

Nobody needs an excuse why they get it. If it fits their drinking habits, then it's worth it to them. But it's not worth it to some of us.

I cruised to Australia for 22 days and alcohol bill only came to $250. But there seemed to be lots of parties with free drinks.

So for the OP, it's $57.44 (gratuity included) per day, times number of people in your cabin over 21. You have to figure out if it's worth it to you.

Actually, you only need to AVERAGE that much per day. You could, on sea days, get to 10-11 drinks (and not be passed-out drunk). On port days, it may only be 2, 3 or 4. But if the AVERAGE hits 6 or so per day, you are at that break-even point.

Bahahahahahahahahaha. No. No I could not. I am terrible at drinking. But your math makes sense. :D

Based on the 6 drink/day average and the price of the program, I don't think it makes sense for us to purchase it. But I can see how it would be a good deal for anyone who is able to handle a little more alcohol than me.

The way I read it on the website, it sounded like the entire cost of the drink wasn't included, that it only pays for most of the cost of your drink ànd then gratuity on top of that. And they are charging you 15% gratuity per day or per drink, so depending on how many drinks you have that day, the per day cost can change?

The way I read it on the website, it sounded like the entire cost of the drink wasn't included, that it only pays for most of the cost of your drink ànd then gratuity on top of that. And they are charging you 15% gratuity per day or per drink, so depending on how many drinks you have that day, the per day cost can change?

No drinks are covered in full under the program as long as the drink costs 10.00 or less before tip. Almost all drinks are covered... the tip is 15% on the cost of the cheers package. Versus, 15% per drink if you buy your drinks individually. If you drink more then 6 or 7 drinks in a day, you actually will be paying less of a tip under cheers then you would if you bought your drinks individually.

thank you for responding :)

Almost - meaning?

I love the frosty drinks, the margaritas and daquiris.

My sister love Jack Daniels on the rocks.

And my little sister and middle sister love shots (not me! can't handle it)

Are those all covered?

thank you for responding :)

Almost - meaning?

I love the frosty drinks, the margaritas and daquiris.

My sister love Jack Daniels on the rocks.

And my little sister and middle sister love shots (not me! can't handle it)

Are those all covered?

If the drink is under $10, it will be covered. Not sure on the shots. Are they straight shots or mixed alcohol shots? Mixed would cost more, I assume.

You can google drink prices on Carnival, since we can't post links.

Edited by crzndeb

Also remember you can pre-order bottles of liquor via Carnival's Bon Voyage and have those in your cabin. They're liter-sized bottles in my experience. Bring your own mixers such as powdered margarita mix or cans of Coke. Mix in a lidded tervis cup and carry where you wish. Works well if you're happy with one or two different liquors and want a few drinks but won't drink enough to justify Cheers.

Edited by dd2355

Great suggestions! I will google it and also bring mixers.

Question:

My last two cruises I brought rum in my luggage and each morning me and my friend would get juices from breakfast and store them in our mini fridge, then make rum punch.

Are there juices available in the morning during breakfast as well?

Also, how many cases of water can I bring on, and if I bring a case of water, can I also bring a case of soda?

Thanks!

Great suggestions! I will google it and also bring mixers.

Question:

My last two cruises I brought rum in my luggage and each morning me and my friend would get juices from breakfast and store them in our mini fridge, then make rum punch.

Are there juices available in the morning during breakfast as well?

Also, how many cases of water can I bring on, and if I bring a case of water, can I also bring a case of soda?

Thanks!

You can no longer bring cases of water on board. Only a 12pack of soda.