Cruising Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay - small boat excursion at TA?

flatlander321

We're booked on the May 16, 2016 Carnival Legend transition cruise that goes to both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. People speak highly of the small boat excursion at Tracy Arm. Since we are going through Glacier Bay 3 days later, is the small boat excursion still a must-do?

We, 3 adults, will have a balcony cabin if that makes a difference in the excursion value.

Edited by flatlander321

These two areas are totally different. IF you want to get up to the South Sawyer glacier- the add on boat tour- is likely your only chance. I've taken this same sailing the last 3 years- with the Carnival ship, consistently turning back at Sawyer Island.

Up to YOU, if you want to take it or not? And what YOU want out of your visit. I will say- every time- there were "complaining" people about the distance from the glacier.

When I was on a cruise that went to Tracy Arm, the ship got within 4 miles 0f the glacier. The boat got to 1/2 mile of the glacier. Also, the boat stopped when wildlife was spotted. We stopped and watched a whale and it's baby play and a ton of sea otters. The ship would not have stopped for the sightings.

When I was on a cruise that went to Tracy Arm, the ship got within 4 miles 0f the glacier. The boat got to 1/2 mile of the glacier. Also, the boat stopped when wildlife was spotted. We stopped and watched a whale and it's baby play and a ton of sea otters and seals. We also topped to watch several bears. The ship would not have stopped for the sightings.