Alaska 2016 - Information on single supplements rates?

eggydreams

Ben and I would like to take a dear friend on her first cruise. She is in her 70's. We would prefer to have our own room even with the specials I keep getting in my email for 3rd and 4th passengers in the same room. I have heard that you can pair people to room together (though I don't think this would work for her). I have also heard that some of the cruise lines are becoming more accommodating in their pricing for singles to encourage them to travel.

I would appreciate any insight you may have and if you know which cruise lines offer the best deals for this.

Alaska is on her bucket list, and is on ours as well. I think I've narrowed it down to the type of cruise and the month of May. Your help will help me figure out the ship!

Thanks! I look forward to any replies.

Adrienne

Most discounts for singles are on cruises that are not selling well. Sadly, this does not apply to Alaska, especially if you are booking a year out. Single supplements are usually 200%, as cabins are sold per person, double occupancy. A few lines are including a very few singles cabins on their newbuilds. Some reasonable prices can be found if you wait until after final payment. Twice I have booked Alaska cruises as ann inside guarantee about 5 weeks out for very good prices. EM

Unfortunately, I have had to resort to last minute bookings too since Princess eliminated the 150% supplement on their inside cabins.

Last year in May all of the inside cabins were discounted to $399 pp (plus port & taxes) for August sailings on the Star Princess and then the double occupancy rate was affordable for solo travelers. I will be trying the same strategy in 2016.

Have you ever booked a regular booking and then cancelled, changing it to last minute when the date gets near?

Do you mean before final payment? If so, you can always get the rate reduction applied as long as the final payment date hasn't passed - so no need to cancel.

Edited by LEtue