Best Time To Purchase Airfare

mike215

I was checking non-stop airfare from Phila to Ft Lauderdale for April 2, 2006 cruise and was surprised at the cost. AirTran and Southwest aren't that great and have also checked Expedia, Travelocity and Sidestep. Shoud I bite the bullet on the USAir schedule that I like or hold off a while? USAir is till $100 less than cruiseline. I am new to this airfare smorgasbord and would appreciate any input from the seasoned cruisers who read this board.

Thanks! Mike

There no longer is any "best time" to purchase airfares. In my experience, there is no rationale behind airfare pricing now-a-days. My recommendation would be to look at air fares for a few days to start getting a sense as to what the normal range of fares are. After that, when you see a fare you're comfortable with, go ahead and get it. I would advise on holding off for a better fare if you see one you like because you may not get a second chance.

jeff

AirTran and Southwest aren't that great

Actually, Southwest's rates for April have not been released yet. I flew direct from PHL to FLL in June on Southwest for $157pp, and I was very happy with both the price I paid and the flight itself. I would recommend that you sign up for Southwest's e-mails, and keep checking to see when they release their April fares. Normally their fares are considerably lower than the other carriers out of Philly, but make sure you purchase your tickets right away after the prices come out because they can go up if you wait too long. The price for my flights went up by $20 only a day and a half after the pricing was released.

Good luck!

When Southwest finally opened up their schedule this week for when my cruise is, their prices are still about $80/pp higher than what I booked on Delta 5 months ago. Delta itself has doubled.

If and when Independence finally packs it in, this will allow other airlines to generally raise fares in the east as well.

If you like to gamlbe, then try to wait it out a couple months. They say the oil trend will be down next year, but whether that will be soon enough to help for an April flight is hard to say.

I try to book during a "sale" if at all possible. A few weeks ago I booked my flights from Indy to Miami on AirTran during a fall sale, and the price has gone up over $100 for the same flights already. If you have the time and the patience, check the travel sites and airline websites once a day or a few times a week, get an idea of what "normal" rate is and what you really want to buy at, and wait and see. If you notice flights filling up or prices rising with no decrease, then you'd probably better go ahead and book.

Since we have already booked a cruise in Canada/New England for June of 2006. I too was looking ahead for the flight pricing.I usually check an engine like travelocity and then go directly to the airline's website. Since, we live in Atlanta, that means Delta...haha. The prices are a tad lower and you get to see you seat selection and then I check the location on the seat guru website to see if it's a good seat.

It seems that the price of oil is not going to fall enough to make a difference in our flight prices, since Delta offers the most non stops to Montreal....but now with the internet it's so easy to plan ahead we just do it...

Hope this helps...

Roy

I used to work in Philly and you are correct, it is a very expensive place to fly in and out of. I agree that you need to check places like expedia, I buy most of my airfare there. With gas prices climbing you might just want to bite the bullet on this one. What about driving to Newark? Is that a possibility?

And if you're looking a few months ahead for a good fare from Florida on a Sunday cruise return, forget it. I checked some flights on Airtran, FLL to PHL on Sundays in April, and they're outrageous. The major airlines are usually cheaper.

Thanks to everybody who posted a response. I will wait until Soutwest releases their rates for April (I was using Southwest's current rates for comparison) and also keep an eye on USAir. USAir has dropped its fare $20 since I posted this question so maybe it won't be so bad.

nicknack Yes AirTran is even higher than USAir. I got a one-way on AirTran to Ft Lauderdale in Dec 05 for $79. It would be $193 one-way for Apr 06. They must be close to being sold-out. Wait for Southwest.

NWA prices jumped $44 on Friday...then came down $20 today!

We're looking at paying more than double the fare we have ever paid to get to FLL. We're sailing the weekend of Thanksgiving...so that may add to our outrageous fares!! If you're going during Spring break...that may also add $$$.

"Biting the Bullet" may be the only option available to us!!

Deb

It could be that April 2 is still in the premium priced springbreak period. If you had a cruise 2 months earlier (Jan. 2)--Am Airlines has $168 fares (PHL-FLL). American has a sale right now and some excellent fares-but they do not extend to April. I have never obtained great fares during springbreak.

I was checking non-stop airfare from Phila to Ft Lauderdale for April 2, 2006 cruise and was surprised at the cost. AirTran and Southwest aren't that great and have also checked Expedia, Travelocity and Sidestep. Shoud I bite the bullet on the USAir schedule that I like or hold off a while? USAir is till $100 less than cruiseline. I am new to this airfare smorgasbord and would appreciate any input from the seasoned cruisers who read this board.

Thanks! Mike

ANOTHER USEFUL SITE IS SIDESTEP.COM

Archived