Brand New Cruiser

MtnDweller

Just to pop in with an alternate view--solo cruising can be unbelievably relaxing, should you have a significant other whose favorite word is "no".

I'm thinking his "no" was mostly because of the costs involved. We're much better off now than we were then. ;)

I just finally booked my first cruise after years of convincing the hubby to try it. We finally agreed on an itinerary where neither of us have been to the sailing port and a 4 night cruise. That way if we don't like cruising we don't have to sit on the boat for a week, but if we do like it, we can book another one for a longer time relatively quickly behind that.

My husband insisted on a balcony unit at a minimum, and a cigar bar! So after doing my research here I booked an aft corner unit on a 4 night RCCL Independence of the Seas, hopeful that we will like it. It's more than a year out since we timeshare also and are already booked solid for 2016 vacation wise.

You can always book something with a deposit and change it or get a refund if needed, so try not to overthink it. Start with what ports you want to see and go from there.

Edited by alexadeparis

Note that, depending on your timeshare, you can "exchange" for a credit agaInst the cost of your cruise. Also note that some airlines have a Cruise Travel subsidiary through which you can earn mega miles for booking or which allow you to spend mega miles to book. In a recent search it seemed to be priced at about 20,000 miles per person per night for a balcony cabin. Not a good rate, but if you have miles to burn, this option may help pay for the future cruises I am sure you will be taking.

After being in the Navy, my son-in-law was totally against cruising, which my daughter always enjoyed. He is also "the cheapest man alive." We celebrated my parents 50th wedding anniversary on a cruise and he loved it. He bitched about the cost and so my daughter went with us, without him. She mentioned our upcoming cruise to him, as she usually does and without any encouragement whatsoever,he wanted in on the cruise. He doesn't want to say he has missed it, but he already has his passport (for a July cruise) and has decided which islands he wants to go on a diving excursion. For him, that translates to "giddy with excitement" for other people. He's talking about the food he wants to eat, liquor on the islands and asking about the ship. That's SO not like him. He's more excited than us. I think leaving him out for a few times has made him jealous...lol.