Brand New Cruiser

MtnDweller

I was in your shoes less than a year ago.

1. Take a deep breath.

2. DO NOT get freaked out by negative reviews. If you insist on reading one-star reviews, make yourself read a couple of five-star reviews too each time. Learn to spot the reviewers who are acting like they were on a cruise from hell--you can probably discard them as outliers who had unreasonable expectations or are just never happy. (That said: you can look for trends on a given ship--if the last ten reviews all mention the food being bad, it may be worth considering.)

3. DO NOT worry about making your first cruise "perfect". It's almost certainly not going to be your last.

4. If you're like me, an addendum to number 3: don't worry about making the cruise perfect for the other person. They're either going to like cruising or they aren't--little decisions you make along the way (excursions, dining, itinerary, etc) probably won't change the final outcome, so it's probably not worth driving yourself (and others) crazy, no matter how tempting. :)

Have fun.

Great info, perditax! I have the same thoughts about traveling. Reviews are subjective so I take them with a grain of salt. And nothing's perfect in life so, I just roll with the punches. We've been to Disney several times and always went without a plan and whatever happened, happened.

After many years of asking my other half to go on a cruise, he finally said YES!!! I have been scouring the internet for the past few days. Hope I don't overload on information. :D

Thanks for having me,

Tina

Welcome! Do you have an idea of where you want to go or an idea of how many days you want to spend?

Don't try to stuff too much into each day, not even when in port.

If you're flying (or taking a train) to get to your embarkation port, always go at least a day ahead. Less stressful if you're already there and you can have a relaxing dinner and maybe even get in a shopping trip in for whatever you didn't bring.

At what point do you schedule your MDR reservations? When you pay for the trip or once you get on board?

Depends on what cruise line. NCL has only 'anytime' dining so if you eant reservations in MDR do it onboard.

Some cruise lines have only assigned dining, when you book your cruise you choose one of two times, early or late, and table size.

Some cruise lines have a choice of anytime dining or assigned dining. You choose at the time of booking.

None do it at final payment.

Depends on what cruise line. NCL has only 'anytime' dining so if you eant reservations in MDR do it onboard.

Some cruise lines have only assigned dining, when you book your cruise you choose one of two times, early or late, and table size.

Some cruise lines have a choice of anytime dining or assigned dining. You choose at the time of booking.

None do it at final payment.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
After many years of asking my other half to go on a cruise, he finally said YES!!! I have been scouring the internet for the past few days. Hope I don't overload on information. :D

Thanks for having me,

Tina

Me too! I took 14 years, but I'm getting to plan our first cruise too. It is addictive! Information OVERLOAD!!:eek:

You didn't say which line. Personally we love traditional (assigned dining) as it's something unique to cruising. We got stuck with anytime a couple of cruises ago (booked the cruise just weeks before the cruise and never cleared the waitlist) and we found we missed our late traditional seatings.