Excursion/port question

SubbyWife

Hubs and I have decided to do An Alaskan cruise next summer, yay! We have both said that there are two excursions that are 'must do', the helicopter to the glacier with dog sledding and one of the whale watching tours. (Forgive me, I don't have their specific names) It appears that these are offered at multiple ports. Can anyone give me insight into which excursion is best at which port? Does the specific port matter?

Thanks!

for 100% sightings of humpbacks, tours are available out of Hoonah and Juneau.

For glacier dog sledding- Juneau and Skagway on the inside passage, with a one way- easy to also pick up a tour in Seward,

With your claim of it being a priority, the glacier dog sledding tour is the most canceled tour, so book it at your first opportunity between Juneau and Skagway- IF canceled, then immediately get on your phone and see if any space in the next port. On the inside passage there are only 4 vendors, have their contact information in advance.

Thoughts...

• the one must-do I think is to ensure you ship goes into Glacier Bay for the day... especially if you haven't seen glaciers. Holland America and Princess ships are the prime choice for Glacier Bay.
  • With Glacier Bay secured, some feel Tracy Fjord is worth a stop.... most boats don't do both.... look for a ship that offers a mid-ship transfer into Tracy Fjord.
  • if there's kids.... check out the Disney Wonder.

Here's some Top 5 ideas for each port. Once off the boat... the excursions are about the same.

e_eMbvWq8lU F4PEcfMK1eY mjOwP2OAuPU [YOUTUBE]txO8VK4LaLQ[/YOUTUBE]

Hmm, speaking of glaciers, NCL also now has itineraries that cruise Glacier Bay and in my mind the Hubbard Glacier is arguably more majestic then Glacier Bay.

Yep, NCL has been going to Glacier Bay for years.

But, Hubbard- sure is "majestic" IF your ship gets up close to it. However, having been there many times- only about 1/2 my trips there in the last few years have had that view. The other 1/2 (I'm referring to over 10) were miles away, where the view was expansive, but didn't show the detail that I enjoy being closer to.

Every transit is going to be unique, with nothing the same. :)

I booked a dog sled tour independently with ERA out of Juneau. We did the Extended Adventure and got to help harness the dogs, brush them, and feed them in addition to the sled ride. We also got to eat lunch on the glacier. This tour lived up to all my expectations and then some. It was the highlight of our our cruise. In Hoonah, we did whale watching with Misty Bay Lodge and had a great time.

Hubs and I have decided to do An Alaskan cruise next summer, yay! We have both said that there are two excursions that are 'must do', the helicopter to the glacier with dog sledding and one of the whale watching tours. (Forgive me, I don't have their specific names) It appears that these are offered at multiple ports. Can anyone give me insight into which excursion is best at which port? Does the specific port matter?

Thanks!

A little more information is needed to provide you with answers. What is your itinerary, cruise line, and ship?

A little more information is needed to provide you with answers. What is your itinerary, cruise line, and ship?

We haven't narrowed it down to one specific cruise yet. I'm just trying to gather all of my info now so I can try to figure out what would be best. But I'm leaning towards the Ruby Princess on July 10th out of Seattle. But I'm not sure yet lol. I realize that's not much help.