Staterooms for disabled

Mandy412

It should be bigger so a wheel chair can get around. If it has a balcony, there will be a ramp. The bathroom will be set up with a roll in shower. IF someone with a disability needs that room, you might be ASKED to change rooms. You can ask for an upgrade and might get one.

NO you will be TOLD to change cabins if an ADA passengers needs it.

I doubt they would move anyone.

People use every excuse in the book to say they need the room

A few cruises ago I tried to get a specific room on the GEM approx 1 year before sailing and was told the HC room was taken. We got the room next to it, the room was occupied by 2 fully functional people who know how to to bypass the system. Just like the lady the other day who took the handicapped parking spot in front of me at the mall. she parked her very nice BMW and ran into the mall (it was raining)

Perhaps this "should" be NCL's policy when it comes to an able bodied person in an HC cabin, but if you can point me to one single report made here of someone who was involuntarily ejected from their HC cabin, I'd like to see it.

The only reports I've ever seen relate to being "asked", being offered an upgrade or other perk to enhance the request, but never a report of no choice in the matter.

A few cruises ago I tried to get a specific room on the GEM approx 1 year before sailing and was told the HC room was taken. We got the room next to it, the room was occupied by 2 fully functional people who know how to to bypass the system. Just like the lady the other day who took the handicapped parking spot in front of me at the mall. she parked her very nice BMW and ran into the mall (it was raining)

No one who books an HC cabin needs to "prove" a disability, nor even has to tell the booking rep that they have a disability in order to book one. So no one needs to make up any excuse.

I'm told that to merely "ask" about a person's disability is against the ADA regulations. I guess this is a great rule in some situations, but when it comes to HC cabins, it simply insures that many of them will be filled with non handicapped individuals. If instead, they needed to fax or email a Dr's statement verifying that Joe requires a HC cabin, even without including the specifics of the disability, would go a long way in freeing up some cabins.

So, if you feel this is unfair, then talk to someone about changing the ADA laws.

And of course, NCL is not going to sail with unfilled cabins, so at some point they are going to start offering these cabins to anyone who books.

No one who books an HC cabin needs to "prove" a disability, nor even has to tell the booking rep that they have a disability in order to book one. So no one needs to make up any excuse.

I'm told that to merely "ask" about a person's disability is against the ADA regulations. I guess this is a great rule in some situations, but when it comes to HC cabins, it simply insures that many of them will be filled with non handicapped individuals. If instead, they needed to fax or email a Dr's statement verifying that Joe requires a HC cabin, even without including the specifics of the disability, would go a long way in freeing up some cabins.

So, if you feel this is unfair, then talk to someone about changing the ADA laws.

And of course, NCL is not going to sail with unfilled cabins, so at some point they are going to start offering these cabins to anyone who books.

I totally agree within a certain amount of time before a cruise, all Handicapped rooms should be available to anyone.

NCL does send you a form to fill out with your handicapped needs.

Being confined to a wheelchair for 25 years I have seen it all and heard it all. I find cruising is a great way to travel for someone in my position, but when I see people playing the system , that is not right. I do not think NCl will do much, except try to fill rooms, in the past they have offered me upgrades, but to find out the upgrade is not handicapped accessible. So what does that tell you. I love going on NCL, but you have to be prepared for any hurdle like when I park in a HC parking spot and come out to see someone parking on the blue stripes (in between two HC spots) and I cannot get into my car. Imagin how much fun that is

Sorry for the rant

I have personally witnessed it.

If she had no HC placard or plate then a quick call to police non-emergency would have gotten a pretty quick response and a very expensive ticket. I have the number in my phone for just such cases. I have also blocked the offending parker into the spot until the police arrived.