Pier 88 check in then Intrepid - is it possible?

Cloudyrain

Hello!

We have always cruised from Europe and mostly we get there early, check in and dump our bags, and then go off into the City for a few hours before going back and getting on the ship.

This year we are going to be cruising from NYC on the NCL Breakaway.

Is it possible to check in early (we have transfers as part of our package, just need to confirm the times), dump the suitcases, and then walk down to the Intrepid museum to walk round there for a few hours before getting on the ship? We will be in NYC for a few days before so could go to the Museum then, but there is loads of other stuff we want to do too, so thought this would be a good option. If not the Museum is there anything else locally we could do? I would rather be wandering about making the most of our time there than standing in line to wait to get on a ship that we have 7 days to explore.

Thank you!

You can do it. Check in typically starts at about 10 am. If you're going to have an early transfer to the pier you don't even have to check in...just turn your checked luggage over to a porter. You can then go to the Intrepid as long as you get back to the pier to check in by 2 hours prior to sailing time.

One problem is that you can't carry much with you on the Intrepid, so at best you can take a very small carry on bag with your cruise documents, passports, medications, etc. There's no baggage check available on Intrepid and your bag will be carefully screened for any potentially prohibited items.

That's brilliant, thanks for that: we are going to Kennedy Space Centre and I noticed the warning about not taking much there because of security and didn't even think about the same issue at Intrepid.

I think we need to decide wether we are happy checking everything in and "travelling light" to see Intrepid, or if we need to look at going somewhere else where I can take a bigger bag - although we won't really need much, it's not like we are going to be hitting the slides as soon as we get on the ship - it will be November, it will be far to cold for any of that craziness :eek: