Egg crates a thing of the past?

Snowrose

We leave in 11 days for our cruise and I have a question. I remember years ago that there was constant talk on the board about asking for an egg crate foam bed topper to cover the hard mattresses. I don't really see that anymore. Have the NCL mattresses gotten better? Is it no longer necessary to ask for egg crate foam on your bed to sleep in comfort?

Thanks for your opinions! :)

We leave in 11 days for our cruise and I have a question. I remember years ago that there was constant talk on the board about asking for an egg crate foam bed topper to cover the hard mattresses. I don't really see that anymore. Have the NCL mattresses gotten better? Is it no longer necessary to ask for egg crate foam on your bed to sleep in comfort?

Thanks for your opinions! :)

I think Norwegian has great mattresses, nice and padded and no need for an egg crate. We did need them in 2011 on the Star because the mattresses were rock hard. I am so happy with the mattresses on our last 3 NCL cruises, I think they have been replaced on most if not all of the ships. I hope that you find this to be the case. The last cruise was on the GEM in September, the one prior to that was on the Sun in 9/2014 and the mattresses were fine.

Just on the Jewel and I asked for a mattress topper. The room steward asked if we wanted a foam topper or an egg crate topper. We chose the foam topper thinking it would be like memory foam but it wasn't. The egg crate toppers are better in my opinion.

You can always ask for a topper on the 2nd day if you find the mattress too hard.

The egg crate topper was already on our bed on the Star in May. Very comfy. In September on the Pearl, I requested an egg crate topper after the first night. A well used foam topper was sitting on the sofa the second night. The room steward never put it on the bed. I wasn't going to put in on myself so it just dealt with the hard mattress.

:confused: Are NCL's mattresses that uncomfortable? They really require a egg crate topper? Hmm.

Mattress comfort is all a personal thing, some like firm some like soft.

Just like cars some like one brand some like others. If everyone had the same taste we would live in a boring world.:cool:

For me, the mattress on the Gem recently was very comfortable. On the Spirit in 2006, I had TWO egg crates and the mattress still felt like concrete. I was worried the Gem would be like that but it was great. Maybe they have all been replaced since the bad batch?

Edited by Zippeedee
corrected year