Sapphire Princess-Mexican Riviera

oceanair

My husband and I are first-time cruisers and are considering the Sapphire Princess' 7 day cruise in the Fall.

I have a few basic questions:

- What type of room/deck is nice? Preferably we would like an unobstructed ocean view and/or balcony. I have heard you hardly spend any time in your room, so a balcony is not really that necessary? True? Does anyone have specific room number recommendations?

- What type of dress code do people follow during the evenings? Long dress for women? Blazer/necktie for men?

- Any on-line booking sites you recommend? How is *****.com?

- dining recommendations?

- any other tips would be welcome!

We will be on this ship in the spring but haven't sailed Princess before, so I can't comment on the ship. I would assume that people who say "you hardly spend time in your room" don't stay in rooms with balconies.

I'm no cruise expert like many here but we've had one cruise without a balcony and one with --- the winner is the one with the balcony! We used the balcony alot, it was great to sit there and have a snack, do my nails, check the weather when getting up, etc.

We are booked on the Sapphire for April 2006 so I cannot comment on it's balconies, but we did book mid-ship on Aloha Deck because the balcony is completely covered and we found we liked that aspect when we were on the Sun Princess. The other balcony decks on Sapphire are partially covered and partially open (people above can look down, you can also look down on others is the way it was explained to me). I prefer having a smaller balcony and having it more enclosed.

On the Sun formal nights were dressy - most men wore suits (did see a few tuxes, but mostly suits and women wore long dresses, dressy pants suits or, like me, dressy black pants and dressy tops. For the other nights it was mainly dressy causual. Most men did not wear jackets, but did have shirts with collars. Women were dressed in various outfits from dressy sundresses to pants/blouse and other types of "going out to dinner" type clothes. No one looked grubby or wore jeans :-)

I did not deal with any on-line agencies, I got all my info from Princess and then had AAA book it. If you are an Auto Club member look into their prices.

What might help you is to read one of the "sticky's' on this page about 3 posts down. It is called "Memebers share what they know about Princess". There is a wealth of info there. On what excursions to do go to the Ports of Call Board and go to Mex. Rivera. All sorts of idea's there. Have a great cruise and welcome to Princess.

Marilyn

We were on the Sapphire this past June, in a balcony cabin on Caribe deck. The balconies on this deck are larger than those on Aloha and Baja, and are partially covered. While there may be some lack of privacy, I never felt this was a problem. If we wanted more privacy, or to be protected from the weather (we were in Alaska), we sat under the overhang from the balcony above us. Otherwise, we could move the chairs to be in the sun. And, having the larger balcony was nice.

We've only been on 2 cruises, both in balcony cabins (the other one was not on Princess), and I think it would be difficult to cruise without one. Besides all the other reasons people give for preferring balconies, I like the idea of having another place to go without really leaving the cabin - it's like having an extra room. And I think people spend more time in their cabin than they think they will.

I agree with LMCAT123 about evening dress. On formal nights, more men seemed to be wearing suits than tuxes. I saw more women in cocktail dresses than gowns or dressy pants suits. I couldn't say how many passengers skipped formal nights, but I did see one party turned away from the dining room for improper dress.

I hope this helps.

I agree with the previous poster who said the only people who don't spend time in their room are the ones without balconies.

The only reason to cruise without a balcony is if that was the only way to afford the cruise. I would trade off shore excursions if necessary to have the chance to enjoy that first cup of coffee on the balcony or the chance to read without the noise and distractions of the open decks.

Even better--again if your financial situation allows--are the mini-suites.

That doesn't mean we don't spend lots of time in public areas as well--just enjoy the chance to "have it all" for that fantasy we call vacation.

We've been on the Sapphire in Aug. 04 to Alaska and have done the Mex. Riv. route twice (on Carnival and Princess).

The Sapphire is a great ship IMO. Those who don't like big ships might not like it but as this is your first cruise, that shouldn't matter.

We usually get inside cabins. You can ask several people and you'll get several different answers about preferences. Every cabin on this ship has at least a mini-frig. And at least a shower (some may have tubs too). If you look at the info on princess.com, you'll get some sort of idea of what each cabin is like. But if you're going this fall (2005) and haven't yet booked, you may not have much of a choice left.

See the sticky on formal night wear. There's a range from suits to tuxes for guys and cocktail dresses to fancy long dresses for women. My hubby usually wears a suit and I wear cocktail dresses (I don't mind showing off my legs) or a long one-piece crepy black pantssuit that I bought for my first cruise 11 years ago.

Other evenings you can't go wrong with nice shirt/slacks for men and a dress for women (I think nice slacks will also be fine for women). Often the formal nights are on sea days. The last night often is informal.

the most important thing about clothes is that the last night, take out an outfit to wear for disembarkation BEFORE packing (you'll put your suitcases outside your cabin that night).

There are so many options for booking: thru Princess, thru discount cruise sites (check them out first with other people), brick and mortar travel agencies, AAA. I think Cruise Critic frowns on people recommending a travel agency here. I have found that most of the quotes I've received while researching were pretty much the same.

Here's a major tip: if you're flying into the port, fly at least one day (not night) prior to the cruise. There are often delays with flights and you don't want to miss your boat. Plus, you don't want to be so jet-lagged that you can't enjoy the first day of your cruise. We got into Seattle at midnight (by train) for our last cruise, but we padded in an extra day to recover and shop for last-minute stuff and do a little sightseeing before our cruise.

Also don't book a flight for the morning you get off the ship. Sometimes customs takes a while and you don't want to stress out about missing your flight. Most people seem to shoot for afternoon flights.

So far this thread has been geared towards balcony v. inside cabin. We have had all types of cabins and never been on a bad cruise. In fact, on a couple of cruises I have felt "obligated" to use the balcony to get my money's worth. :eek: Yes, balconies are wonderful but they really shouldn't make the cruise. (Also, except for the actually balcony, the cabin is exactly the same size as an inside cabin). Unless you are a hermit by nature (or maybe a newlywed ;) ), you really won't be in your cabin that much. My contention is that "oceanview cabins" are a waste of money. I don't plan to ever book one again. If you see something out the window you'll run to an open deck to see it in person anyway. If I don't want to pay the money for a balcony I would prefer just getting an inside. The TV in the cabin shows the front of the ship, so when anything interesting comes up - just run to the Promenade Deck or the upper decks. On a Mexican cruise, except for Cabo San Lucus, the ports honestly aren't that picturesque.

To answer some of your other questions, I would get Personal Choice Dining and just go with the flow. Be sure to tell the head waiter that you'll sit with others. It's a great way to meet people.

We aren't really supposed to discuss travel agents on this site, but I would start out calling Princess and getting their price. Then go to Travelocity or Expedia or some of the ones advertised on this website. They are all remarkably competitive. Yes, there are bargains to be had, but before you book be sure you know what you want and what a ballpark figure is. AAA is a good place to go if you want to talk to someone face to face. Otherwise, most of the websites do have toll free numbers if you have specific questions.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

We sailed the Mexican Riviera last January on Diamond Princess,so I will comment because they are sister ships. My recommendation is absolutely to go for a balcony --- we saw lots of dolphins and a number of whales from ours, also enjoyed the views of the ports (especially Cabo) when we were arriving and leaving. Ours was on Aloha deck and we were really pleased -- it's the top deck of balconies so no one is looking down on you, and it was just one quick flight up to the Lido deck where the pool and Horizon Court (and pizza!!) are, great for running up there quickly for a snack to bring back and eat on the balcony. We had personal choice dining and this ship offers 4 small DRs with different ambiance for you to choose from. We loved the ability to eat when we were ready and to try the different rooms. Sabbatini's is a great experience at least once despite the $20/pp surcharge, and I hear that the Sapphire now offers a Sterling steakhouse ($15/pp) which we've really enjoyed on the other Princess ships.Formal nights (2) were pretty formal with lots of tuxes and long dresses, other nights were more casual, nice slacks and shirts for the men and sundresses or slacks for women, no jeans anywhere.Sportcoats are not required and seldom seen on the 5 casual nights. Really, we loved this cruise, although it was cool on the first and last days and a little rough sailing back to LA. For port info and excursions, there's a wealth of info over on the Ports of Call boards. Here's a link to our webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/cynbar101

I have a question about the poolside band on board. This is our first Mexican Riviera cruise (previously, all 17 of our cruises have been to the Caribbean). We're on the Sapphire Princess on Nov. 12. I really enjoy the reggae music when we sail so I am wondering what to expect - reggae or salsa? Can any of you who has done this itinerary / ship tell me what to expect?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I've been in inside, oceanview, balcony and mini-suite cabins and when I book, I make my choice based on pricing. I choose the itinerary and ship (to me, equally important) and I book what I can afford or be happy with. The only type of cabin I'd never book again is an inside. It really depressed me when I came back to my cabin during the day to have to turn on the light to see where I was going.

Anyway, I think balconies are great but it really depends on where you're cruising. I had a balcony on an Alaska cruise and it was a waste -- it was too chilly to sit outside or take advantage of the fresh air, even in early August. On my CB cruise last New Years, I had a balcony and the weather was so windy and awful that sitting out on the balcony was like sitting on the rim of a margharita (sp?) -- everything was caked with a layer of salt, even on Aloha deck.

I don't spend a lot of time in my cabin but one thing I do love about balconies, particularly in the Caribbean, is that I can have fresh air whenever I want it. We have a Caribe deck balcony for my Sapphire cruise over Christmas and I'm looking forward to enjoying it.

We did this cruise on the Diamond, which is the sister ship of Sapphire. I will try to answer some of your questions.

We had a mini suite on Dolphin ( D224). It was a very nice cabin and we used the balcony a lot. Plus the mini is so nice. We saw lots of whales. The balcony is not covered on Dolphin Deck but we didn't mind that at all.

Is a balcony necessary? I would have to say it is very nice, particularly for your first cruise, but if you decide against it there are lots of places you can go to sit and enjoy the views.

Dress code? you will see a variety of dress. On our trip on casual nights we saw sundresses, short dresses or nice pants and a blouse or pant suits for ladies and gentlemen wore polos or short sleeve dress shirts ( some ties) and slacks. There were some suits and cocktail dresses as well.

Formal nights - most everyone we saw participated. Lots of nice cocktail dresses and formal dresses and Palazzo pants and beaded tops. Gents - about 50 % wore tuxes and 50% wore dark suits with ties. ( for my husbands tux we ordered from the cruise line. He loved not having to pack and cart his formal wear.)

Dining recommendations? This is such a personal preference. We did traditional first seating and for us with the time change we often went to dinner when we weren't really hungry. It was fun to sit with the same people every night and exchange stories about our day but... our next cruise we will be doing anytime dining for the flexibility. Again it depends on what you want.

Other tips? Check out the spa on port days- you can get a good deal on treatments. Pack half the amount of clothing you think you will need... they have a self serve laundry if you need to run a quick load. Go to the afternoon tea it is fun.

Check out the roll call for your ship. You will meet lots of nice people who are also going on your ship - it will help make the planning so much fun and by the time it comes to sail you will feel like you are sailing with friends. Relax and enjoy your trip. - Shelly

Thanks to everyone's helpful tips! Due to the last minute booking, I could only get an obstructed ocean view room vs. a balcony in a good location. The only balcony that was available was toward the very front of the ship. So, I opted to go with a mid-section cabin on the Emerald Deck. Who knows maybe we'll get lucky and get an upgrade! Anyway, thanks for all your advice and info about cabins and dress codes etc..they were most helpful. I will continue to comb the boards and get suggestions! :)

Oceanair:

Be careful of the obstructed cabin you book...here is a photo of the emerald deck of the Sapphire. I made the mistake of booking E407 and it is dead center of the white square box on the Emerald deck. I would not book this cabin if I had known the position of the white box ahead of time. However, I am sticking with the location because it is close to the elevators and middle of the ship, and my mom uses a wheelchair some of the time. Hope this photo helps you!!!

Here is a picture of the outside of the Emerald deck on the Sapphire.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...24/118_1865.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I found out that my cabin assignment-E625 is obstructed by a lifeboat. I'm in the process of seeing if I can change it, but I'll probably have to get waitlisted for something else. It seems like all the good categories are taken. If it's obstructed by a lifeboat, I'm assuming you can' see much except the sky and the lifeboat? I wonder if you can see any part of the ocean?

Mexican Riv is my FAVORITE cruise itinerary.

BALCONY - MUST. If you can afford it, PH/VS suites are MAGNIFICENT. (I've been über-lucky, and have been upgraded and sailed in these three times. WOW! We ended up rarely leaving the cabin! And the aft versions of these cabins (VS) are almost as nice as the midship PH. The aft cabins have TOTALLY PRIVATE balconies, where the midship ones have half covered/half not - so you can lay out on your balcony and never worry about those evil chair hogs. But if you get a regular balcony cabin - CARIBE deck has the biggest balonies.

Sabatini's - go the first night. It's empty, and you'll be spoiled by the servers.

Dining - depending on what you perfer, I've always been a traditional gal - but the last Princess cruise, we did PC, and made standing reservations in Pacific Moon with a team of wonderful guys at a great table for two at 8pm every night, and never had to worry about anything. Could get any item from any menu any night we wanted. It was AWESOME! I'll do that again.

Puerto Vallarta - GORGEOUS. WARM, inviting, GREAT FOOD. Spectacular views! My last cruise we grabbed a cab and went down the coast and had lunch at El Set which is just north of Mismaloya. The town is nice to walk around in too. Best excursions: Hideaway at Las Caletas, and Dolphin SWIM. Tequila tour is good if you want the rest of your day to wander.

Mazatlan - take a cab to the Golden Zone, shop, walk the beach (say "no gracias" and smile to the vendors and they'll leave you alone, unlike in the Caribbean), and have lunch at The Shrimp Factory.

Cabo - SPECTACULAR. Take a water taxi for around $3pp to The Office (on the beach) for breakfast of lunch, then water taxi back to the pier and walk into town to shop and hang out. Snorkling here is good at Santa Maria Cove.

I've seen more tuxes on this itinerary than any other, but you won't feel out of place if you don't dress up that much.

feel free to email me for questions. I've also got an über-long review on the Diamond-MexiRiv in the review section.... bardgal@sbcglobal.net

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks you for your helpful tips...much appreciated..I posted another question about cabin choice just now, but my TA just bumped me up to a forward cabin CC 103 on the Caribe deck and I had a mid-section category F obstructed ocean view on the Emerald prior. I'm worried that the forward cabin on the Caribe deck will be rocky and noisy..true?

Thanks again.

Here's what I posted to another thread...hope this helps.

Ok, so I got to this tonight instead of waiting until the weekend.

Because of possible bandwidth issues from my web hosting service, I'm not going to post a new thread in the Princess area with what I've done...because lookie-loos will just go to my site to be nosey with no intention of taking this cruise or going on the sapphire princess.

However, feel free to mention me on any roll calls if you find that people are interested in the Princess Patters for the 2005/06 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera.

Honestly, I'm happy to provide the information, but I just don't want to waste bandwidth and have to take these down.

With that being said, here goes...

You'll see that I've also added reviews and pictures from our other cruises.

Lastly, if you don't want to click on all these files, I have them in one winzip file. My email address is listed just above the princess patters on the Sapphire Princess page so you can email me and I'll send you the whole kit & kaboodle at once. (Please make sure you mention Princess Patters in the subject line of your email. Since this email address tends to get a good amount of spam, I tend not to open emails from people I don't know.)

thanks for sapphire pics...we are going in december back to back cruises...here are our pics from last years Diamond Princess-we took scruffy along-he loves to cruise woof!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/263200454qNwFoh/2

Here's what I posted to another thread...hope this helps.

Ok, so I got to this tonight instead of waiting until the weekend.

Because of possible bandwidth issues from my web hosting service, I'm not going to post a new thread in the Princess area with what I've done...because lookie-loos will just go to my site to be nosey with no intention of taking this cruise or going on the sapphire princess.

However, feel free to mention me on any roll calls if you find that people are interested in the Princess Patters for the 2005/06 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera.

Honestly, I'm happy to provide the information, but I just don't want to waste bandwidth and have to take these down.

With that being said, here goes...

You'll see that I've also added reviews and pictures from our other cruises.

Lastly, if you don't want to click on all these files, I have them in one winzip file. My email address is listed just above the princess patters on the Sapphire Princess page so you can email me and I'll send you the whole kit & kaboodle at once. (Please make sure you mention Princess Patters in the subject line of your email. Since this email address tends to get a good amount of spam, I tend not to open emails from people I don't know.)

=I'm worried that the forward cabin on the Caribe deck will be rocky and noisy..true?

We were in C123 and I loved it, other than the long walk from everything in the center of the ship, the room was great.

I get horrible seasickness on the last night because of the captain hauling butt back to disembark but found it not to be a problem this far forward (although my experiment was not scientifically sound since I also switched from dramamine to bonine on this cruise).

I had no problems being this far forward. I've heard that if you get seasick, you need to be in the middle or front of the ship, never the back.

We were on the sapphire 10/8/05. I have my review, pictures and the princess patters available on my website if you are interested...

http://www.julieu.com/cruises/0510Sapphire.html

Archived