Spirit and Wind - ports in the Holy Land

sloopjohnb

I've been following the sad unfolding of events in Jerusalem over the last week with a personal interest as we are due to visit there on the Wind in a couple of weeks.

Could anyone who is currently on the Spirit tell me what Silversea is doing about calls in Ashdod (scheduled today, I believe) and Haifa (following two days)

Thanks

By the time this Athens to Athens leg began last Friday, the Ashdod port had been cancelled, as well as all of the ship's Jerusalem tours. We are now at Haifa for the first of two days. The long tours to Masada and Nazareth etc., originally to depart from Ashdod, were conducted from Haifa today. Some passengers arranged their own tours to Jerusalem. Rhodes was added as a port between Antalya and Santorini for 10/24.

Thanks, Wellseasoned.

It only occurred to me after I'd posted to check one of the ship tracking websites which clearly shows you alongside at Haifa.

I hoope you are having a great cruise and that the weather is favouring you

sloopjohnb

Just logged on and noticed Ashdod port no longer on itinerary. No notice from the line nor my TA yet.

Now not overnighting in Alexandria, and another sea day to Haifa. Rhodes added later in cruise. All of our shore excursions remain on the prior scheduled days, so unsure what will be available.

Jerusalem was one of the main reasons for booking this cruise; so disappointed, but I realize my inconvenience is nothing compared to their daily struggles at present.

Thanks, Brazzleman, for pointing that out.

Like you, we have had no notification from Silversea or our TA, even though I asked the TA only three days ago.

It's obviously disappointing, although not unexpected, that we would miss Ashdod. I've been to Haifa before and although it was worth a visit, it is really "marking time" as compared to Jerusalem.

I can't understand why they've cut the overnight in Alexandria. Like most others, I guess, on the full day there, we will want to go to Cairo and Giza. Alexandria would have been really interesting too.

It will take, at most a couple of hours more to sail to haifa from Alexandria than it would have done to Ashdod. Why add to the disruption and irritation?

Sloopjohnb

We do are on the cruise leaving Athens Oct. 30th and are deeply disappointed about Jerusalem. Wellseasoned, do you think you could get the contact info from the people on you ship who arranged for a private Jerusalem tour. We might be able to do the same.

We were lucky to make our stops in both Ashdod and Haifa on our Spirit cruise last year at this time. We booked private tours each day through Guided Tours of Israel and they were very good. They seemed to watch for potential unrest closely and we felt they they would not put us in a dangerous situation by modify the itinerary accordingly.

http://www.guidedtoursisrael.com/

It would be a shame to miss Jerusalem as that was a highlight of our trip. Hope it works out where you can at least do the Nazareth and Sea of Galilee or Masada tours. Israel is one of our favorite places ever to have visited.

Alexandria, on the other hand, not so much. An overnight there would be a waste when there are many much nicer and more interesting places to visit.

Perhaps the world is trying to tell us something but we are not listening to. :)

Many people when confronted with other considerations and criticisms about the cruise experience say that the most important thing about cruises - and Silversea in particular - is " the itenerary" and ports". But this is now increasingly a lottery. You seem then to end up not going to places which was the whole point of booking the cruise. And you go to places that are "nice to see" but not the reason you originally booked. And if the rest of the product is what you are left with then that makes it more important for people to be less gullible and compliant and demand better engagement with respect to changes of itinerary and a better overall cruise experience.

Otherwise it is simply an expensive over-priced poorly servicedd mystery tour.

:)

Jeff

Thank you, UKcruiseJeff,

Yes, Rhodes, for us, is also in your "nice to see" category.

Apart from the Library and the archaeology;

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/raising-alexandria-151005550/?no-ist

it would have been good to try to catch a glimpse of the faded glamour of the Levant in Alexandria.

We have now received, through our TA, an updated schedule from Silversea. Still no explanation. though.

They did, at least, ask my TA to forward the email I'd sent him.

Do you suppose I should hold my breath waiting for them to restore the full Alexandria visit?

To be honest, I don't think anyone can give you advice about what to do and think about your Alexandra visit.

If you haven't been to Rhodes before I think you are in for a treat. A tip I'd offer is try and be off the ship first and (particularly if there is another ship or two docked) go through the gate and turn right and make your way to the end of town smarly and walk back towards the throngs rather than with them all the time. With a couple of ships in, Rhodes town can feel a bit crowded and feel a bit like a tourist trap, which it is of course. Also if you are a bit of an "aimless wanderer" like us and prefer not to be in the crowd all the time then the most interesting wanderings are all on the side streets off of the main thrash (es) ...

Sorry to hear of your destination dissapointments but hopefully you will find solace in drink and the unexpected!

:)

Jeff

We were in Alexandria last month and felt fairly safe but would not have wanted to overnight there (unless we stayed on the ship). We saw a military tank on a side street less than a mile from the cruise port. There were also men in the back of trucks carrying military weapons (looked like machine guns). While this extra security seemed to work well during the day, I doubt if many tourists would feel comfortable walking around at night.

We enjoyed this port but feel that Silversea is making the right decision. In terms of Ashdod, that port seems to have more problems than Haifa. On both of our Middle East cruises, we have spend three days in Haifa and took long excursions from there.

I agree, Travelcat2.

Despite the fact the ship is now scheduled to leave Alexandria at 11PM, potentially giving us time for a few hours ashore after returning from Cairo, I would feel uncomfortable exploring the City during the evening.

If they had kept to their original schedule for Alexandria, we would have had the whole of the next morning ashore.

sloopjohnb