Penn Station or Port Authority

Verde Man

Hello,

On my next cruise out of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal I am planing on taking the Path from Newark Penn Station to World Trade Center.

From the Trade Center would it be better to go to Penn Station or Port Authority to catch a taxi to the pier?

Thank You

PATH doesn't stop at either Penn Station or Port Authority Bus Terminal. The only direct service from Newark Penn Station takes you to World Trade Center.

If you change trains at Journal Square you can get from Newark Penn Station to 33rd St. (Herald Square), which is the closest PATH station to the cruise terminal.

I recommend that instead of PATH you take NJ Transit from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station and take a taxi to the cruise terminal from there.

Edited by njhorseman

Why not just take a taxi directly to the pier from the vicinity of the World Trade Center? It's a straight shot up West Street/9A along the Hudson River to the Upper West Side piers--about four and a half miles. It really doesn't make much sense to take the subway to either Penn Station or the Port Authority Terminal just to catch a taxi there for the last mile of the journey.

I was planning on taking the subway from the PATH at the WTC to either Penn Station or the Port Authority. I figured this would be better with luggage than trying to get it on a bus with luggage.

Gary

I was assuming that the post meant you were looking to take PATH from WTC to Penn Station or Port Authority.

I agree with Post Captain's recommendation to take a taxi directly from WTC to the pier.

Just curious where your trip is originating that day. Are you staying in a hotel near Newark Penn Station Such as the Newark Penn Station Hilton and starting from there? If not, neither PATH nor NJ Transit may be your best option. Since you're carrying your cruise luggage I assuming you're not doing any sightseeing in the WTC area, which also makes me question why you want to travel via that route.

I think to give the best advice we really need to have a better handle on exactly what your objective is.

Edited by njhorseman

I was assuming that the post meant you were looking to take PATH from WTC to Penn Station or Port Authority.

I agree with Post Captain's recommendation to take a taxi directly from WTC to the pier.

Just curious where your trip is originating that day. Are you staying in a hotel near Newark Penn Station Such as the Newark Penn Station Hilton and starting from there? If not, neither PATH nor NJ Transit may be your best option. Since you're carrying your cruise luggage I assuming you're not doing any sightseeing in the WTC area, which also makes me question why you want to travel via that route.

I think to give the best advice we really need to have a better handle on exactly what your objective is.

We are staying at the Newark Penn Station Hilton. Will be there a week before the cruise leaves on Sept 3. Will have all our sightseeing done by the time we leave. I have checked taxi fares and have come up with an estimated fare of $25 from the WTC and estimated $13 from Port Authority. The difference is not a big deal and, for me, the subway ride from WTC is more of an adventure than just a ride. So I was just wondering which location other than the WTC would be better to get a taxi from Penn or Port Authority. I know that in 10 months a lot could change, but for now this is what I have planned.

We are staying at the Newark Penn Station Hilton. Will be there a week before the cruise leaves on Sept 3. Will have all our sightseeing done by the time we leave. I have checked taxi fares and have come up with an estimated fare of $25 from the WTC and estimated $13 from Port Authority. The difference is not a big deal and, for me, the subway ride from WTC is more of an adventure than just a ride. So I was just wondering which location other than the WTC would be better to get a taxi from Penn or Port Authority. I know that in 10 months a lot could change, but for now this is what I have planned.

Since you're staying at the Newark Penn Station Hilton and have no real objective other than getting to the cruise terminal I'm returning to my original recommendation of taking NJ Transit to NY Penn Station and then taking a taxi from there to the pier.

To me going on the subway with luggage isn't an adventure, it's a pain in the neck and other parts of the anatomy. Since you will have been in the area for a week of sightseeing you'll have ample opportunity to take the subway without dragging luggage along for the ride.

Fare for NJ Transit between the two Penn Stations is $5.25 per person, or $2.45 for seniors .

Edited by njhorseman

Fare for NJ Transit between the two Penn Stations is $5.25 per person, or $2.45 for seniors .

Thanks, that is what I will do. I did not realize there was a train other than PATH available.

Gary

Edited by Verde Man

Since you're staying at the Newark Penn Station Hilton and have no real objective other than getting to the cruise terminal I'm returning to my original recommendation of taking NJ Transit to NY Penn Station and then taking a taxi from there to the pier.

To me going on the subway with luggage isn't an adventure, it's a pain in the neck and other parts of the anatomy. Since you will have been in the area for a week of sightseeing you'll have ample opportunity to take the subway without dragging luggage along for the ride.

I absolutely agree on all counts. (And I say this as someone who has occasionally ridden the subway with light luggage!:eek:)

Moreover, Verde Man's "adventurous" route involves walking several blocks from the WTC PATH station to a subway station (presumably Chambers Street, for the 1, 2, or 3 train to Penn Station, or the other Chambers Street station for the A or C to Penn Station) & possibly getting somewhat lost en route--not to mention having to negotiate a fair number of stairs at the various points of entrance and egress, plus a warren of underground passageways at Penn Station, of which this is a representative example:

Verde Man ~ There's actually a far more scenic "adventure" route that involves riding the light rail on the NJ side of the river, plus the ferry... But I'll hold back on that for the time being, unless/until you ask for specific details.