Cruise Account

Itsbeentoolong

Hi, if I run out of Dollars can I get some put on my Onboard Account?

Thanks

Dean

You could but at a terrible exchange rate. Try and take as much as you will need with you, or use your credit card. Try and take as small denomination notes as you can (I assume you are going to the Caribbean) otherwise on the islands you may get their currency back as change.

You could but at a terrible exchange rate. Try and take as much as you will need with you, or use your credit card. Try and take as small denomination notes as you can (I assume you are going to the Caribbean) otherwise on the islands you may get their currency back as change.

Do you mean they have ATMs in the Caribbean which dispense American dollars

And if you have a Halifax Clarity Card you don't pay a transaction charge (interest payable from the day of withdrawal though - but only about 1% p.m. until you pay off your card). We recently used ours in the US and Canada and got exchange rates which were much better than the best tourist rates we saw before we left. We were very pleasantly surprised by the rate!

I think Nationwide also do a good card - look at Martin Lewis' money site for best deals but he very much recommends travellers to have such a card. Much better than relying on the ship's exchange rate.

Not sure about availability in the Caribbean though and as others have said you would need to check they dispensed US$.

I agree with the poster about getting the local currency back in change when you have used US dollars. In a few shops i questioned why they do that, but was told it is there policy. Just seems a way of off loading their currency to tourists that you cannot spend anywhere else ?

I agree with the poster about getting the local currency back in change when you have used US dollars. In a few shops i questioned why they do that, but was told it is there policy. Just seems a way of off loading their currency to tourists that you cannot spend anywhere else ?

If you tell the shopkeeper that you won't buy the stuff unless you get dollar change for dollar purchases, he'll find some for you.