Cheers question on the 24 hour 15 drink limit

emod20

OK a simple question. And at 59 years old I don't need advice on how much a person can drink on vacation. As an example for my question about the 24 hour 15 drink max. Lets say I have my first beer at noon on embarkation day. And at about 10 pm I hit the limit of 15. When can I get the next beer? At noon the next day or 10:01 pm the next day? So is it 24 hours noon to noon or 24 hours from beer number 1 or 24 hours after beer number 15?

As other's have said its a 6am-6am clock, so on embarkation day with cheers if you have your first beer at noon you then have a 15 drink limit until 6am the next day when it resets. It's been a rumor that there is a way to get more than 15 you just have to pay extra for there, apparently once you get to your 14th drink you can start buying drinks which don't count towards your total of 15 since it's not on Cheers, and then once you decide its your last drink you take the 15th from cheers.

As other's have said its a 6am-6am clock, so on embarkation day with cheers if you have your first beer at noon you then have a 15 drink limit until 6am the next day when it resets. It's been a rumor that there is a way to get more than 15 you just have to pay extra for there, apparently once you get to your 14th drink you can start buying drinks which don't count towards your total of 15 since it's not on Cheers, and then once you decide its your last drink you take the 15th from cheers.

If you use your own sign and sail card all drinks will show up on the computer and a server may take the restrictions literally and deny you any drinks once you have had 15.

But then, no one said anything about someone else buying you a drink.

You can usually "buy drinks for friends" if needed since you're still allowed to buy rounds for others etc. So if you specifically ask to pay for something, saying you want to buy a drink for a friend, many bars will not count it against your Cheers. I'm not sure if any would "override" this. I suppose if you looked sloppy drunk they might, but there's no way they really know whether you're giving the drink away or not if you don't start sipping it there AND they get a grat per drink either way.

You can usually "buy drinks for friends" if needed since you're still allowed to buy rounds for others etc. So if you specifically ask to pay for something, saying you want to buy a drink for a friend, many bars will not count it against your Cheers. I'm not sure if any would "override" this. I suppose if you looked sloppy drunk they might, but there's no way they really know whether you're giving the drink away or not if you don't start sipping it there AND they get a grat per drink either way.

We were on the Fantasy during College Spring Break and if you had Cheers, they would not let you buy drinks for others. My friend (both of us in our 40's) ordered a round of tequila shots and once they saw the cheers sticker, they said she couldn't buy them and poured the drinks out!:eek:

Edited by WendyVF

We were on the Fantasy during College Spring Break and if you had Cheers, they would not let you buy drinks for others. My friend (both of us in our 40's) ordered a round of tequila shots and once they saw the cheers sticker, they said she couldn't buy them and poured the drinks out!:eek:

Bartender was an idiot then. Even if the rule was in place just for spring break, they should use some discretion. I've had Cheers 5 or 6 times now and not once did I have this problem.

Bartender was an idiot then. Even if the rule was in place just for spring break, they should use some discretion. I've had Cheers 5 or 6 times now and not once did I have this problem.

Exactly! It was 6 shots and not the cheap tequila.

The Cheers rules clearly state that when you want to buy a round of drinks for you and some friends, that your drink will be credited to the cheers program and the rest of the drinks will be charged to your sign and sail card at the regular rates. Make sure you carry a copy of the rules, or demand that you see the bar manager is someone says you cannot do it.

The Cheers rules clearly state that when you want to buy a round of drinks for you and some friends, that your drink will be credited to the cheers program and the rest of the drinks will be charged to your sign and sail card at the regular rates. Make sure you carry a copy of the rules, or demand that you see the bar manager is someone says you cannot do it.

Thank you! I missed that my first read through.

If your wife is staying in your cabin and she is 21 or over, she would have to sign up for the Cheers program as well. If you have kids under 21 and the wife is assigned to stay in their room (one child stays with mom in a cabin and one stays with dad) then mom wouldn't have to purchase the program.

How much does Cheers cost? And can I buy one Cheers pass then just order drinks for my wife?

Even the two of us together couldn't drink 15 drinks in a 24 hour period.

I found an FAQ that answered my questions. Thanks.

This program won't work for us. No way can we drink $100 worth of beverages per day.

This program won't work for us. No way can we drink $100 worth of beverages per day.

Don't be so sure it adds up quickly. I said there is no way I could ever drink 15 in a day but I managed to do it.

the rules changed from bar to bar. For example I asked for a beer to take back to my room, and I asked the bartender not to open it, she told me she had to open it. I said fine took the opened beer. Later that evening at another bar, I ordered a beer and the bartender asked me if I wanted it opened or closed. I asked her I thought you had to open them, she said no, never heard of that rule.

Plus another way to get around the 15 drink limit, is by using the mini bar in your room if you have one.

The break even number of drinks is about 6 or 7, depending on what you order.if you order just beer then you would have to order more to break even. A glass of wine at dinner is about 8 or 9 dollars per glass and hard liquor drinks can be higher.

If your wife is staying in your cabin and she is 21 or over, she would have to sign up for the Cheers program as well. If you have kids under 21 and the wife is assigned to stay in their room (one child stays with mom in a cabin and one stays with dad) then mom wouldn't have to purchase the program.

Even though this means she wouldn't have to buy the program, you still can't share. It's not a "split 15 drinks card". The 15 is a maximum, not an allowance.

Even though this means she wouldn't have to buy the program, you still can't share. It's not a "split 15 drinks card". The 15 is a maximum, not an allowance.

And you are right, I just meant that the only way the wife could get around not buying the Cheers program is if she wasn't staying in her husband's room. I didn't mean they could split it. I'm glad you illuminated that point so no one would be confused.

What do you guys think is a fair cash tip when like sitting at a bar close to pool . or I like to get up and walk to bar on sea days. A fair tip per beer when using the cheers card to provide thanks and get good service. $1 a beer sound fair? Also can I walk up to bar with my wife's and my card and get one beer each for us?

We tip $1/drink for most Cheers drinks as well (I have also been told several times that the grat on the package does get divided to the bar servers who serve you - hence why they swipe your S&S still; so they get the auto-tip as well - hopefully at least!).

Sometimes I will admit we don't add an above-and-beyond tip to a beer if it's a simple "Here ya go" interaction, but any bartender who talks with us, mixes a proper drink for us, or has helped us earlier in the cruise gets the extra $1. And if we liked a bartender, we will find them the last Sea Day and bring a cash tip with a card as well as make sure we have their name&position correct so we can compliment them to corporate properly. There's usually at least 1 of these exceptional bartenders.

The big exception to extra tipping is we hardly ever add extra tip to drinks ordered in the dining room because bar service in there is so bad and slow! This may be because we do ATD but we have found that we are often not even asked what we want to drink until we are eating appetizers (we do bring drinks in with us now, but even when we didn't, this was so) and it's always rushed and then we have to wait forever to get whatever we ordered. I've had it come out with dessert before! I am not super picky, but since we already paid the 15% gratuity on our package, I don't feel the need to tip for service that bad.

Don't be so sure it adds up quickly. I said there is no way I could ever drink 15 in a day but I managed to do it.

My bar tab for a week long cruise is rarely over $100. Cheers doesn't work for me. :p