New to photography

JessandLevi

So I am looking into a nicer camera for cruises as well as everyday photography like birthdays, holidays, and nature. We have deer, birds, geese, and a cow near our house that I'd like to take pictures of. I am the type of mom that always uses her phone but I'd like to start using a "real" camera. I have been told that the Panasonic lumix dmc-g6 is a good starter as well as the Nikon d3300. Price really isn't an issue as I'd rather have great pics.

What would you recommend and do I need to buy lenses with them? Like I said I am new to photography but will use this camera a lot!

I have run the gamut from bridge to compact to DSLR and am now travelling with an Sony A6000.

There is a thread here with a lot of folk's experiences with moving up to the A6000 from compact, over from DSLRs and just jumping in.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2215195

The old days when there was just Canon or Nikon if you wanted good photos are long gone. The size, weight and performance of the A6000 has allowed me to shoot anything I could with the DSLR with a camera the size of a large compact that still packs a sensor larger than the Canon Rebels.

This is my first impression article written just after I got mine. My overall impression has gone up a few notches since then.

http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/a6000.html

Here is a link to our recent Fall Colors cruise which was shot almost exclusively with the A6000. (An older NEX-3 was also carried as a second body/backup).

http://galleries.pptphoto.com/fallcolor

This isn't really an ad for the A6000. :) It's just that I have been very impressed by the bang for the buck it offers and feel confident offering it as an very competitive alternative to the cameras the zombies at the big box stores will shuffle over and point at. ;)

Good luck with your shopping!

Dave

Edited by pierces

Thanks for the post! Your pictures were amazing! I can only dream of taking pictures that good. I will definitely look into the a6000.

Do you use different lenses for the camera? Or just the camera itself?

Glad you enjoyed the photos! :)

It is an interchangeable lens camera and I have picked up some additional lenses for specific types of shots that I like to try. Though I took a few extra lenses, most of the images were taken with the 16-50 kit lens that comes with it. Between the 16-50 and the 55-210 that comes in the two-lens kit (both better than typical kit lenses), about 95% of situations are covered.

If you live near a Sam's Club, you may want to look at the bundle they sell. I saw the A6000 with both kit lenses for $799 yesterday. I assume pricing is pretty consistent country-wide.

Again, good luck with the shopping. Too many choices and pretty much all of them good to great. It's a great time to be a photographer!

Dave

My Camera story that leads up to what I highly reccomend.

My first camera was a simple point and shoot vivatar 35mm film camera. I was a kid and used it through my teenage years till it died. then a few years later in my mid 20's got a DSLR style or bridge camera fuji S5000 that my now 16 year old daughter has and still uses today and works great for her. I upgraded from that camera to a Olympus E-510 true DSLR and loved it. picture quality and sharpness was best i've ever taken. got in some money trouble later and had to pawn it. then lost it in pawn. :(

Finances got better so started looking at cameras again. but I had a dumb idea I would get a decent DSLR "style" camera or bridge camera with super zoom capability. got a Fuji HS50EXR took it up to Rocky Mountain National Park shooting for the first time and was disappointed in picture quality. The tack sharpness wasn't there that i got with the Olympus DSLR i had. I boxed it back up and hung onto it for a couple months and gave it to my oldest daughter for Christmas about 3 years ago and she still uses it today. Nikon was coming out with a DSLR D5200 in early spring so i waited. Soon as it was available I ordered it online with just the 18-55mm kit lens. Took it up to rocky mountain national park and was very pleased with results. but it needed a better main lens so I ordered the Sigma 17-50mm lens and picture quality jumped way up. I also have the Nikon 55-300mm zoom lens and now getting ready to pull the trigger on the Sigma 150-600mm lens and 10-20mm lens.

My photo gallery of photos from my Olympus camera up to my current Nikon. The Exif info on each picture shows what camera was used for that shot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeepenfun/

So what i learned with bridge cameras and true DSLR cameras is image sensor has a big factor in quality. Bridge cameras and point and shoot cameras have small image sensors (8.8mmx6.6mm in size or smaller, see photo diagram below) that cant really capture all the detail and sharpness in a photo. True DSLR cameras have much larger image sensors to full frame sensors that capture a lot more detail in photos and quality. (APS-C up to full frame) My Olympus had a Micro four thirds image sensor and my current Nikon has a APS-C or 23.6X15.6 mm sensor. MUCH bigger then the itty bitty 6x8mm sensor that was in the Fuji HS50EXR camera i had and usually found in most all bridge and point and shoot cameras.

Dont get me wrong though. point and shoot cameras take good photos too but the fine detail and tack sharp quality can only be found in true DSLR cameras.

So after all that I would highly recommend a true DSLR camera like the Nikon D3300 or even the D5300 or D5500 for more features you'll grow to love and the fully articulated LED screen on the D5200 and up series. If you go Canon side and they also are a very good camera I would look at getting the newer version of the Eos Rebel like the T5i. The T3 series has the older CMOS image sensor and back then was a good image senosr but the new CMOS sensors in the T5 or T5i series blows the T3 out of the water.

Dont know much about the Lumix but I know that the mirror less sensor is becoming very popular and showing up in a lot more cameras like Sony also because they are extremely fast. that fraction of a second delay to move the mirror out of the way of the image sensor when you push the shutter button just became a thing of the past. although you really cant notice the difference but for some pro photographers it can mean the difference in a high speed shoot of getting that one shot.

Those lenses your looking at with the Canon or the lens that comes with the Nikons are what everyone calls "kit" lenses. Their ok for getting started with a DSLR camera but I would later on look at getting some better glass for your camera and you will definitely see a difference in the quality of your shots. Look at Sigma or Tamron for a good mid quality lens. The pro glass is ultimate and what everyone would love to have but for a hobbiest or a non professional photographer its not practical spending thousands on a lens.

Just something to consider later when you want more quality out of your DSLR later on down the road is better quality glass or lenses.

camera-sensor-size-12_zpsytdc6zzd.jpg

Just for the record, the A6000 has a 24mp APS-C sensor that is essentially the same as the one in the D5500 (which is also a Sony sensor).

The reason I went to mirrorless after 30+ years with SLR/DSLR wasn't because they were new and cute. It was because I could carry two bodies and four lenses in a bag that is literally 1/4 the size of my old walkabout bag and that weighs less than half as much. If you are looking for a camera to take travelling with you, keep the size factor clearly in mind.

What did I give up in going to the smaller camera? My A77 DSLR had great battery life and a fully articulated LCD. The A6000 usually uses two in a day and the LCD tilts up 90° and down 45°. The A77 shot at 12 frames per second but locked focus and exposure after the first shot, The A6000 shoots at "only" 11 frames per second but focuses and adjusts exposure between each frame. It also has 179 focus points that cover most of the image area and do an incredible job of tracking moving objects. The A77 has a 24MP APS-C sensor that delivered usable low-light shots up to about ISO1600. The A6000's 24MP APS-C sensor is two generations newer and is pretty darn clean up to ISO6400. The A77 had a bright, clear, high-resolution electronic viewfinder that showed a larger view than all but the top-end DSLRs and additionally shows picture effects like exposure compensation and filters in real time before you take the shot. Same for the A6000. That's where the comparison slows down and the A6000 starts pulling away. I mentioned tiny and light but you have to carry both for a day at a port or even a wedding shoot before you realize how big a deal this is. The kit lenses for the A6000 are good but I had some good lenses for the A77 and a couple of great ones. In looking forward I found that eight of the top ten sharpest lenses ever tested by DxoMark we Zeiss or Sony/Zeiss lenses and though all can be used on the A6000 (some with adapters), three of them are available only in the Sony E-mount. I have picked up a few additional lenses and have found some incredible price/performance bargains. The kicker is that I can still use all of my old lenses on the A6000 with a simple adapter.

The growing popularity of the mirrorless cameras while the DSLRs decline isn't because they are new or cool. It's because you get the same and sometimes better performance in a diminutive package that takes another hassle out of packing and travelling. The reason for that big mirror started to fade when film did and it the times are finally catching up with it.

I'm not just wetting in jeepfun's Wheaties. He makes some good points that I would have made three years ago before I tried the big sensor/small camera joy that is the Sony E-mount. :)

Happy shooting!

Dave

Like Dave, I have also switched to the A6000, the size difference for traveling was the sell for me, but I actually dread carrying around my old full size gear nowadays. There are several mirrorless cameras on the market and would look at them instead of a full size DSLR. Of course my preference is the Sony A6000, I hate wasting money I want quality and something I can use out the box.

John

So after careful consideration and researching as well as talking with my husband we decided on the A600! One of the selling points is the size/weight. I already have to carry around an almost 30 pound toddler the last thing I need is something huge and heavy. I have watched several YouTube videos and it seems like the A6000 is a good starter camera. I should have the camera Wednesday! Just in time for my son's 3rd birthday party on Saturday!

Thanks for all the information and advice. I truly appreciate it from everyone. I am looking forward to learning photography. [emoji3]

...it seems like the A6000 is a good starter camera.

That's the beauty of it. If you are looking for a way to get started with something a little more advanced than a point & shoot compact, the A6000 set on Intelligent Auto will cover the bases for almost any situation. If you want to branch out and get into external flashes, different lenses, long exposures and other more advanced techniques, you don't have to buy another camera. It supports everything from Sony flashes to radio triggers for studio equipment and you can use virtually any lens made for a 35mm camera with an adapter.

This was taken with the A6000 and the remarkable but inexpensive 12mm f/2.0 Rokinon wide angle lens. (Not bad for a starter camera! ;))

p968451891-5.jpg

I never really use the feature myself but the A6000 is also a superb video camera with full 1080p high-definition recording (I noticed your toddler comment).

The only thing I dislike about it is that when a picture comes out badly, I only have myself to blame! :)

Enjoy your new camera and feel free to post questions. The community here is very gentle and helpful (99.9% of the time ;))

Dave

Edited by pierces

So I am looking into a nicer camera for cruises as well as everyday photography like birthdays, holidays, and nature. We have deer, birds, geese, and a cow near our house that I'd like to take pictures of. I am the type of mom that always uses her phone but I'd like to start using a "real" camera. I have been told that the Panasonic lumix dmc-g6 is a good starter as well as the Nikon d3300. Price really isn't an issue as I'd rather have great pics.

What would you recommend and do I need to buy lenses with them? Like I said I am new to photography but will use this camera a lot!

Any advance mirrorless, DSLR or bridge will yield wonderful pictures.

A good site to read is below, but everyone is an expert and has an opinion. Some are more honest when they recommend noting all the tradeoffs in selecting the brand they shoot. Anyone with skill can share amazing photos from any brand sold in the last 5 years, maybe even a brand that is one generation from bankruptcy :D

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

I'm partial to Nikon and wouldn't consider any other brand given what is important to me. It ain't a perfect brand and has numerous downsides as well as advantages that wouldn't make me consider any other, YMMV.

I am going to make a much different recommendation.

If you are buying a new camera to get better photographs then you, like many others, will probably be disappointed. I do have loads of different cameras, lenses and other gear. They are all rubbish at taking good photographs. Sales people will tell you all about the fantastic features that this body has over that one etc. These are all features which you need so they can make a profit. Photographs a decade ago were great without them as they were two decades ago. Today I do not know how to use many of those features which are on the bodies I own. All I want is a good sensor (or good film) and a body which is robust and intuitive to use for the basic features.

What will make a difference is learning about exposure. Knowing how light works and the way you can manipulate it will make a huge difference when coupled with a creative mind. Then get a camera which will allow RAW capture and learn how to turn the light data you have captured into photographs. Along this journey you will pick up gear but the brand does not matter too much. Most of mine is Nikon, but Canon, Sony, Pentax etc. will all do much the same job.

A good book to buy is "Mastering Exposure" which is a recent release and I think a bit better than "Understanding Exposure" which has been around longer.

When you know how light works you can then make a better decision for yourself about what gear you need.

I grew up with film and watched exposure aids go from selenium cells in a handheld meter to tiny supercomputers crammed into increasingly capable digital cameras. I have always been thankful that manual cameras and a small film budget forced me to learn all there was to learn about exposure but my understanding of it has made me appreciate the largesse given to today's new photographers in the form of the "P" mode. While understanding the basics of the trinity of exposure (shutter, aperture and sensitivity) are indeed needed to break away from normal and polish the end result but there is an awful lot to be said for decades of research and development in the field of autoexposure. The advanced program modes that sit on just about every camera mode dial are capable of making decisions regarding lighting and scene content that give every beginner a huge assist in realizing the potential of their equipment. An advanced camera with a better sensor and lens on Auto is very, very likely to produce better photographs than a pocket compact on Auto (barring gems like the RX100 series). The big win and the reason photography is experiencing a new golden age is that technology has given new photographers an advantage that Ansel Adams would have killed the last member of an endangered species to get his hands on.

Learn all the settings and what they do. Read books on exposure and use the knowledge. Your photos will be better for it and you will get great ideas about becoming more creative. In the meantime, don't let the camera sit on a shelf while you quiver in fear of taking a bad shot. Twist that dial to full Auto and revel in decades of experience that was stuffed into your camera's little brain just waiting to jump to your aid when you to point at something pretty and press the button.

Dave

Thanks Dave for all the input. I have been reading a lot about the camera and watching videos. I will look into exposure so I can understand it better. I should be getting my camera in 2 days so I still have time to do more research.

My first picture will probably be of the trees in my yard...I know it sounds plain but they are in their prime. Beautiful reds, yellows, and oranges. I would like to capture it before it is gone.

If I can figure out how to upload pictures I will post it here.

Thanks John. I am a researcher. I like to know everything and anything about something I buy especially electronics. I know it will take me a while to figure it out but I plan on using this camera a lot! I want to be comfortable using it before our Thanksgiving cruise.

Shoot RAW, even if you do not know how to use the RAW files yet and are in Auto.

You should be able to set it to RAW + JPEG which will give you two files each time. The JPEG will be familiar (.jpg extension). At the moment just store the RAW files away (Nikon will be .NEF, Canon are .CR2 etc.) These may come in handy in the future.

The easy analogy of what this means is if you remember when we all shot film. You would take a roll of film to be processed and printed. You got back a set of Prints and the Negatives. The Prints would usually be auto corrected when passed through the Mini-Lab. If you wanted a reprint you would take along the Negative, as it was the original source. A skilled technician in a darkroom could produce a far superior print when they processed it as there is all the detail available and faults could be corrected.

The JPEG out of your camera is the Auto Print and the RAW is the Negative. If you snag a great shot you will be pleased if you have the RAW in the future.

Jessandlevi:

RAW is a great tool and has benefits. However, if you aren't using a processing application like Lightroom, it's value can be limited. It used to be that the dynamic range of camera sensors was so limited compared to film that RAW was the only reliable way to recover blown out highlights or blocked up shadows. Modern sensors have far greater dynamic range and range enhancers like in-camera HDR (not available with RAW) can produce JPEGs that exceed what you could squeeze out of a RAW file even five years ago.

The A6000 has a wide range of special modes and in-camera processing that are not available when shooting RAW. Some, like sweep panorama and auto HDR can be remarkably handy and eliminate tons of after-vacation post processing. If, after researching, you decide it is in your best interest to shoot RAW, I would strongly suggest subscribing to Adobe's Creative Cloud Photography plan. For $10/month it gives you Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC with perpetual upgrades. Lightroom is almost required and is definitely a plus for a photographer learning to use RAW since it's import, processing and export workflow treats RAW and JPEG almost exactly the same It doesn't even require you to install the manufacturer's (usually sucky) conversion software. When I said "the same", you can read that as; it is a great program even if you never shoot RAW since JPEG files can be widely manipulated for corrections using the same tools used to process RAW files.

Lightroom is also a great tool for managing your photos. It reads and displays the folder structure on your PC and allows you to create folders and move/rename/tag images without having to jump out to File Explorer or whatever they call that on a Mac. It can also create slideshows, photobooks and a lot more. I waited quite a while before taking the plunge and now regret waiting as I re-process a lot of old images.

I wrote an article on RAW vs. JPEG to illustrate the similarities and differences. It is newbie-friendly and may help you decide what is best for you. I will also add that Lightroom has softened my attitude a bit towards RAW but I still maintain that it is a choice based on need rather than an all-or-nothing, do-or-die necessity.

http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/rawvsjpeg.html

Keep us posted on your new arrival!

Dave

Edited by pierces

Just my .02...

I've been into photography for 45 years - it is my favorite hobby by far and I take it pretty serious.

The scenario's, description's, and experiences Dave is writing about pretty much mirror my situation - and I have nothing worthy to add.

I had the big DSLR's and a gaggle of heavy lenses - more doo-dads than I know what to do with. After stepping back and looking at what new technology had to offer, I realized I was missing out on the enjoyment of photography for all the paraphernalia I thought I needed.

I took the plunge with the Sony a6000 and sold the rest. I used it in Program mode at first (and still do quite a bit) - even with all my "experience" I'm appreciating the "set it and forget" modes that let me snap away when I want.

Long story short - technology, simplicity, and compactness has brought back the fun to my hobby. I still research the heck out of the features as well as techniques and continue to learn and gain proficiency with the extra's the camera affords me.

I look forward to lurking in this thread some more and see the results of your efforts. I fully believe it will be positive.

Just my .02...

Totally off the subject but if you type "2" then hold down the <Alt> key and type "0162", you get "2¢".

0188 = ¼

0189 = ½

0190 = ¾

0176 = ° (as in 32°F)

0169 = ©

0233 = é (as in café)

No, I haven't memorized all of the extended ASCII characters but the few that I have come in very handy.

Call it the tip of the day... ;)

Dave