My badges of "Shame"

Dajo5601

... In the US we call them the "trophy generation," kids who got trophies for participating, even if they didn't win. Everyone is a winner, everyone is special. There was a trend in parenting to compliment kids generally (You are perfect, you are wonderful) rather than praising specific accomplishments. (You played well today. Congratulations on the A on your book report) So they grew up thinking they were special and they didn't have to do anything special because they were so special they were better than anyone else. ...
Not just in the US I assure you... Why bother to strive to achieve something in sports or academic tests, to be your very best, if you'll get a reward anyway for coming last?

Entering the world of work must come as one-hell-of-a-shock to these little princes and princesses.

Even at the Academy Awards the envelope opener has to say "And the Oscar goes to" rather than "The winner is".

I feel this is also why small interior cabins are named as "staterooms" in the brochures, pure advertising copy; a meaningless word. I've had several inside cabins, none were remotely anything to do with a "stateroom" (whatever that is). They constantly have to "big" everything up until words lose their meaning, similarly prizes/accolades/rewards become valueless.

One would always hope gentlemen stand for ladies arriving at the table.
I've tried that (many times) at formal functions on land (and at sea). Also moving a chair back from the table so a lady can stand to leave. In the former example I have been looked at by some (usually younger) at the table as if was having some sort of fit, bobbing up and down. And in the latter I was once told by the lady "Women are capable of moving a chair, you misogynist".

So now I do either on a case-by-case basis, depending on venue, circumstances and the ladies present.

Edited by pepperrn

I've tried that (many times) at formal functions on land (and at sea). Also moving a chair back from the table so a lady can stand to leave. In the former example I have been looked at by some (usually younger) at the table as if was having some sort of fit, bobbing up and down. And in the latter I was once told by the lady "Women are capable of moving a chair, you misogynist".

So now I do either on a case-by-case basis, depending on venue, circumstances and the ladies present.

I hear you pepper, I am fortunate that it is only my wife at the table as she very much appreciates manners. We once had a friend on my wife's side who hated me opening the door for her which I found totally alien however I respected her wishes.

This is reverse Darwinism at work. Years ago, people who were that stupid would have been eaten by a lion because they were to thick to run away.
Bring back the lion.

(Actually, the passenger who washed his hands will be along in a moment complaining that he couldn't get hot water out of the handwashing facilities in the Kings Court/Lido).

Edited by pepperrn

Bring back the lion.

(Actually, the passenger who washed his hands will be along in a moment complaining that he couldn't get hot water out of the handwashing facilities in the Kings Court/Lido).

Tank you pepperrn,that comment made me chuckle during my morning coffee.GMT not withstanding.

Rodger.

we have seen bad manner on board but for the life of me i hope i never forget the older Englishman with his perfect accent ,after holding the door for my wife and me saying thank you......quote ....."i didn't want madam to injure her arm".i think he was a real gentleman.:)

Just returned from another fantastic cruise on the Queen Elizabeth, couldn't fault anything, from very speedy embarkation, service, food, excellent staff and entertainment. All in all, just what we have come to expect from Cunard and we weren't disappointed.

HOWEVER, during the two weeks, I decided to award some "Badges of Shame" (obviously just mentally) to the following:

- to the man who washed his hands, yes washed them, under the iced water dispenser in the buffet area.

- to the people who sat in one chair and used another chair as a footrest out on the sundecks

- to the people who photograph or record shows in the theatre with their mobile phone screen illuminated

There you are, I feel better already, little things I know, but when everything else is so perfect, why a few selfish and thoughtless individuals feel they can act as they do, I'll never know.

David

Dajo, glad to know that you had a fantastic cruise. Nice to read that you couldn't fault anything - except your fellow passengers.

on our last crossing we where surprised about how many of the forwarded-aged people broke the rule in Royal Court Theatre and taped the entire show with their screens on.

While we sometimes enjoy multimedia presentations - the sight of the show displayed on multiple smartphone screens was not really enjoyable.

Selfish people :mad:

While we sometimes enjoy multimedia presentations - the sight of the show displayed on multiple smartphone screens was not really enjoyable.

Totally agree. As you've probably noticed, this is also an increasing problem with shows on Broadway and elsewhere. Not only is it an egregious violation of laws regarding intellectual property, it's rude and IRRITATING AS HELL.

Producers and venues seem to be at a loss how to deal with these concerns while trying to market the show in the current media and social environment. While I understand their pleas to "turn your phones off until intermission or after the show and then take pictures of yourselves (but not the show curtain or set) and tweet it like crazy to all your friends" might be seen as silly or hypocritical. So I have some compassion for those who are coming new to such things.

(/personal opinion on)

Of course, considering most of the Cunard production shows I've seen, I feel a bit of pity for those who spent all that effort for a record of a mediocre-at-best revue. (Memories of talking to a performer on the QE2, who told me that during their "Starlight Express" number [on roller skates] during bumpy seas, they'd launch off and wherever they ended up, TA-DAA, that's the way it was intended to be.)

Edited by MarkBearSF

Totally agree. As you've probably noticed, this is also an increasing problem with shows on Broadway and elsewhere. Not only is it an egregious violation of laws regarding intellectual property, it's rude and IRRITATING AS HELL.

Producers and venues seem to be at a loss how to deal with these concerns while trying to market the show in the current media and social environment. While I understand their pleas to "turn your phones off until intermission or after the show and then take pictures of yourselves (but not the show curtain or set) and tweet it like crazy to all your friends" might be seen as silly or hypocritical. So I have some compassion for those who are coming new to such things.

(/personal opinion on)

Of course, considering most of the Cunard production shows I've seen, I feel a bit of pity for those who spent all that effort for a record of a mediocre-at-best revue. (Memories of talking to a performer on the QE2, who told me that during their "Starlight Express" number [on roller skates] during bumpy seas, they'd launch off and wherever they ended up, TA-DAA, that's the way it was intended to be.)

It IS annoying to see the cell phone photographers at work in a theater! I went to a wonderful panel discussion of actresses in NYC a year ago. They talked about many aspects of working in the theater, and the subject of people being on their cellphones came up. The wonderful Holland Taylor gave the audience (none of whom had a phone out) that Look that she does and said, "We can see them, you know." People have no idea that they're annoying/distracting people near them AND the performers (or they don't care). And, yes, they are violating copyright laws.

What lunatic came up with the idea of Starlight Express at sea?????????????

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

One of the many things I admire Lin-Manuel Miranda for - when HAMILTON was playing in the tiny Public Theater off-broadway this Spring...

It had already become THE show to see and for celebs to tweet selfies backstage. Madonna was rudely on her phone throughout the show (Jonathan Groff has confirmed) so, much to her consternation, Lin sent word that she was NOT to be admitted backstage - and later that evening tweeted "texting during show no selfies 4U"

As for Starlight Express, even more surprising, they had to get into skates for perhaps 2 songs out of their Tribute To Andrew Lloyd Webber production (which, in 1989, may have even been pre-Phantom) It was done in the old configuration of the Grand Lounge without the small stage and was performed on the dance floor.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Might I also add the man who just stole the one chip from the buffet with his fingers because norovirus obviously doesn't apply to him.

QV seems to encourage some of this, in the Lido (buffet eating area) in busy times the ice machine can not keep up(saw this on 2 QV cruises 2015 and 2013) and they just put out a tub of ice next to the machine and people use a glass to scoop ice out,

thats unsanitary in my mind.

They need to dump the ice into the top of the ice machine and have the machine dispense it.

My bugbear from World 2015 was ... women sitting or lying with feet up at a table or section for 4 /6 with crotchet, knitting, playing cards, reading a book and with NO coffee in sight. This area is supposed to be a place where we can sit and enjoy the sea view with a lovely cup of coffee, this was impossible at this venue. When I spoke to the person in charge they shrugged and said maybe I should come earlier in the day ! DOH

Cunard need to emphasis that the Cafe Corinth is a designated area for coffee and snacks in the day and a bar in the evening.

My bugbear from World 2015 was ... women sitting or lying with feet up at a table or section for 4 /6 with crotchet, knitting, playing cards, reading a book and with NO coffee in sight. This area is supposed to be a place where we can sit and enjoy the sea view with a lovely cup of coffee, this was impossible at this venue. ... Cunard need to emphasis that the Cafe Corinth is a designated area for coffee and snacks in the day and a bar in the evening.
No-one should have their feet on a table or another chair.

Otherwise I take the opposite view to you. I like that I can sit in a lounge or bar during the day or in the evening and NOT have a drink. I do NOT have to pay additional rent for my little bit of the ship. The steward will place a napkin in front of me to indicate to other stewards that I have been approached and declined a drink. I can sit and chat with friends, read a good book, write letters or postcards, play cards, study the Daily Programme, listen to music (if provided) or just... sit.

Often I do have a coffee, soft drink, or something stronger in the evenings. But sometimes I do not.

If you do want a prime seat with a sea view I would do as the man said, get there earlier to claim your spot. Seems simple enough, like the best seats anywhere (theatre, restaurants etc), they go first.

Edited by pepperrn