Has informal night dress code changed for men?

BrendaJ

This one will never go away! Just went through dh's wardrobe so we can head out shopping for the upcoming TA and he actually shocked me (very hard to do). He decided to take a dress shirt and tie. He has done the dress pants, mock turtle and jacket for informal since one of our tablemates on the Century showed up in black shirt and ship purchased tie on formal night (girlfriend was dressed to kill). All the rest were in tuxes including dh! He will stay in his tux all night but guarantee that the tie will disappear within 15 minutes of leaving the dining room!

From the cruiseline perspective it is possible that listing the tie makes it appear a bit more formal and the compromise of jacket appears to be well accepted.

Hi, I am just back from Summit. The cruise endet on 30.sept.

Here are the dress codes from the "Daily":

Casual:

Gentlemen: Sports shirt and slacks. Ladies: Dress, pant suit or sporty outfit.

Formal:

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit and tie. Ladies: A dressy outfit. Formal Gown or Cocktail Dress.

Informal:

No jeans, please. Ladies: Informal dress or pants & blouse. Gentlemen: Jacket optional, slacks.

We are also just back from the Summit. Also noticed the "jacket optional" for the informal night. Ties have not been required on the informal nights on any of our last 6 Celebrity cruises, no matter what the docs or website says. Would be more than happy if X jettisoned informal nights and either added additional formal and casual nights. With the optional jacket and ties (which you do not find out about until arriving on board) it becomes a hodge-podge of dress and requires you to bring unnecessary extra clothes.

Interesting! On our Infinity Alaska cruise in June the Informal dress code for the gentlemen was jacket & tie. Most complied. There was never any notice in the Daily that jacket OR tie was optional.

LOL...

I just want to add that the more I read about men's tie 'discomfort', the more I believe that men are the FAR weaker sex.

I've begun to think that a large part of the problem is not the tie, but the shirt. I wonder how many guys who never wear ties buy whatever shirts, and until someone says they've got to button it up to throw a tie around it, don't realize that they've been buying shirts with necks that really don't fit? Spending the evening with your shirt collar trying to strangle you really is the pits.

Wait whist I don my asbestos informalware!

I got into a rather "heated argument" argument this summer about "formal attire" and that got bloody. So now we are discussing informal attire - this should be interesting.

My comments: for what they are worth and feel free to flame.

1. I do not think Jeans are appropriate in the dining room under any circumstances after 5pm.

2. I think depending where you are cruising to and where you are from is going to weigh greatly on what you wear to dinner be it formal night or "casual/informal night.

3. Formal night in Alaska is IMHO likely to be less formal that say the Caribbean and in Europe likely to be more formal.

4. Jacket and Tie / Suit and Tie are as appropriate as Tux.

5. Now here comes the Vitriol. Someone complained about a Texan wearing Stetson and Boots on Formal night. Well Pardner - down in Texas I suspect that is probably acceptable and I would imagine that if you went to a formal affair in Dallas the likelihood is you would see more of that then suit and tie or tux. SO WHY DOES EVERYONE GET SO UPSET IF SOMEONE WANTS TO WEAR THAT ON FORMAL NIGHT.

6. We have all accepted the fact that Kilts are considered formal wear as are Dress Uniforms - Again - why not Boots and Western wear??

7. Work clothes for me ( and I work for a Fortune 500 company who'se initials are three letters) dictate NO JEANS or T shirts - but Collar'd Shirt and Dockers are acceptable business attire - Can't see why this would be frowned upon for casual night. If you want to wear a jacket - and a sweater great - but this concept of the fashion police bugs me especially when you see what Actors/Actresess wear on stage - I wouldn't be caught dead in in some of the "threads" they call high fashinn. JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION

Thanks for all of the interesting and often conflicting information. I suspect that Celebrity changes their definition of "informal" depending on who is typing the information, and a tie is likely optional.

I have always thought it would be funny for someone to dress to the letter of the dress code, but do something wild and crazy, like wear a florescent yellow jacket and purple tie with bright green pants and red shoes. I mean, what could they do?

I like the somewhat formal atmosphere of Celebrity and enjoy dressing suitably but how others dress won't affect the enjoyment of my vacation. I'm happy as long as no one forces me to wear 3 inch heels with pointy toes. :)

I have always thought it would be funny for someone to dress to the letter of the dress code, but do something wild and crazy, like wear a florescent yellow jacket and purple tie with bright green pants and red shoes. I mean, what could they do?

Mistake you for one of the CdS performers and send you up to 11 Forward for rehearsals?

We were on the Zenith last week and the "informal" night was the one night I felt most people broke the dress code. Most men wore golf shirts and khaki's and women wore pants and blouses. It was no different from casual night, imo. Hubby and I, knowing we were dressed accordingly, actually felt a little foolish because he had a sport jacket and tie on and I had a dress on. Mind you, I told him that although some things said to wear a tie and some didn't, he could probably get away with no tie. Who knew that 90% of the men wouldn't even have jackets on??

Thanks for all of the interesting and often conflicting information. I suspect that Celebrity changes their definition of "informal" depending on who is typing the information, and a tie is likely optional.

I like the somewhat formal atmosphere of Celebrity and enjoy dressing suitably but how others dress won't affect the enjoyment of my vacation. I'm happy as long as no one forces me to wear 3 inch heels with pointy toes. :)

One could always imitate Elton John or Liberace for formal nite - Would that fit with Brenda's definition <heh heh>

I'm sorry but when I go on vacation the only thing i want to get dressed up in Tommy Bahama shorts and a hawaiian. I can't believe people actually care what anyone else is wearing. It's almost unbelievable. I'm on the Infinity tomorrow and I'll be in my shorts and the like the entire time. Why all the fuss on the dress. It's everyones vacation I paid the same money for the CC as someone wearing a tie... Don't get it! I will have a great time and "relax" which is what it's all about.

I hope you realize that you will not be admitted to the dining room in the evening in shorts. It's Celebrity's policy...not your fellow cruisers. You certainly can dress this way if you like, you will just have to eat in the alternative dining or your cabin every night. It has nothing to do with paying your money.

Archived