Leaving Red Hook.. On Time?

skyhawk352

I have first seating dining.. But I was hoping to get a picture going under the bridge.. The last time I was on the QM2, we left late and I missed it. I've checked the web cams of various departures, and it seems many times the QM2 leaves later than the estimated 5pm time. Anyone ever leave close to 5pm?

Cunard posts their entire sailing schedule well over a year in advance not only for public use but for the scheduling of such things as tug boats, refueling barges and coast guard and NYC police security. I suspect (having lived in the NY metropolitan area and done business there) that Cunard may be unwilling to provide certain folks with the proper incentive to arrive in time with the refueling barge. Every time both in Red Hook and in Manhattan I have been on board they have been late in sailing due to the late arrival of the refueling barge. That does not just happen unless ----. (Those who know will understand what I mean, those who do not know need not know.) enough said.

..Every time both in Red Hook and in Manhattan I have been on board they have been late in sailing due to the late arrival of the refueling barge. That does not just happen unless ----. (Those who know will understand what I mean, those who do not know need not know.) enough said.

I've noticed just the opposite. Whenever I've disembarked in Red Hook the refueling barge was there almost upon our arrival. Maybe it depends on how many ships are in port and waiting to be fed? :confused:

We were on the crossing that departed 11 October. We'd been told we would depart at 1700 but one of the Cunard tour buses (picking day trippers up from a day visit into Manhattan) broke down, and there was a delay getting those passengers back on board. We actually started moving at 1800 and were heading under the bridge just before 1900.

In this instance, the delay worked for us. The sun slipped below the horizon just as we set sail so I got some great shots of Manhattan with low sun glinting on the buildings.