Renting Car / Self Touring

babysparkle

Hello!

I am having the hardest time deciding what to do in Cozumel. This is my first trip to the Caribbean. I have my other two ports figured out, but this one is tough.

It will be me and my two daughters, ages 10 and 14.

Snorkeling is a maybe since my youngest is scared she'll get eaten by a shark. :eek: At first I thought Mr. Sanchos would be great, but then we might not get to see more of the island.

I'm probably completely overthinking this, because now I am interested in possibly renting a car and self touring Cozumel. Do y'all have any thoughts one way or the other?

Thanks so much!!

Paige:confused:

Instead of renting a car I would hire a driver for 3 hours -- hit the ruins or the chocolate factory, the far side of the island (less touristy, great views, dangerous waves/currents) and then have the driver drop you at Paradise Beach or one of the other pay-as-you-go beach clubs for a few hours of sun and sand. Taxi back to your pier (there are 3 on Coz - be sure to write down the name! ;)).

A cheaper option is to cab to the Money Bar for snorkeling -- I've looked every time and still have not seen any sharks :rolleyes: -- and either spend the day there or head to Paradise Beach after an hour or two of snorkel fun.

Good luck! :)

John has a good suggestion. But what are you doing at the other ports? Beach? Tours?

Not sure if a tweener and younger teen would like riding around in a car for 3-4 hours listening to someone else give a running dialogue. And you do have to be careful of your driving, if you choose to rent on your own. Even if, god forbid, you are involved in an accident and it's the other vehicle's fault, you may be at risk. Be sure to purchase all the Mexican insurance.

But stopping at one of the beach clubs, or even taking a taxi to one could be a better day for your girls. Mr. Sanchos, Paradise Beach and Playa Mia all have water toys, pay-as-you go options, lots of other kids near their ages running around. Chankanaab Park also has lots of things to do and you can get in a little culture before hand by visiting Discover Mexico across the main road. Google both for websites and details. Both have entrance fees but there's combo packages that reduce the cost a bit. I think for 3 the taxi will be around US $10 each way.

Instead of renting a car I would hire a driver for 3 hours -- hit the ruins or the chocolate factory, the far side of the island (less touristy, great views, dangerous waves/currents) and then have the driver drop you at Paradise Beach or one of the other pay-as-you-go beach clubs for a few hours of sun and sand. Taxi back to your pier (there are 3 on Coz - be sure to write down the name! ;)).

A cheaper option is to cab to the Money Bar for snorkeling -- I've looked every time and still have not seen any sharks :rolleyes: -- and either spend the day there or head to Paradise Beach after an hour or two of snorkel fun.

Good luck! :)

She will be happy to hear that! Thank you for the information!

John has a good suggestion. But what are you doing at the other ports? Beach? Tours?

Not sure if a tweener and younger teen would like riding around in a car for 3-4 hours listening to someone else give a running dialogue. And you do have to be careful of your driving, if you choose to rent on your own. Even if, god forbid, you are involved in an accident and it's the other vehicle's fault, you may be at risk. Be sure to purchase all the Mexican insurance.

But stopping at one of the beach clubs, or even taking a taxi to one could be a better day for your girls. Mr. Sanchos, Paradise Beach and Playa Mia all have water toys, pay-as-you go options, lots of other kids near their ages running around. Chankanaab Park also has lots of things to do and you can get in a little culture before hand by visiting Discover Mexico across the main road. Google both for websites and details. Both have entrance fees but there's combo packages that reduce the cost a bit. I think for 3 the taxi will be around US $10 each way.

In Belize we are cave tubbing. Both girls are very excited about this.

In Roatan we have hired Rony's Tours for a freestyle tour, and right now the plan is to zipline, visit an orphanage, and just see the sights.

I'm trying to maximize our time in Cozumel. I'll check out your suggestions!

We have always rented a car when we had the kids with us. We liked tooling around and checking out different things. We did the ruins, random beach clubs and just explored. It is an easy island to drive around.

We have always rented a car when we had the kids with us. We liked tooling around and checking out different things. We did the ruins, random beach clubs and just explored. It is an easy island to drive around.

Hi, can I ask who you used to rent a car? We will be there in Dec and are think of just renting and touring the island.

I have rented in advance from Avis and Hertz but I have also just rented a jeep when we got off the ship. All the agencies are right there. Just make sure you really examine the car for damage and take photos.