Hotel Recommendations: Portsmouth

orvil

We are on the QV for January 10. We are coming into LHR a day or two before sailing. We were thinking of staying in Portsmouth in order to tour the Royal Marine Museum, a special request of my DH. There seems to be much more of interest in Portsmouth.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good hotel in Portsmouth?

Do we need to hire a car service to get over to Southampton on departure day? I have a service that I used leaving Southampton that was satisfactory and I can use them again. Or, would a taxi be easier? How much time should I plan on travelling between Portsmouth and Southampton?

Last, has the construction around the terminal been completed? It was a mess when we were last in Southampton.

If you are going to stay in Portsmouth just to visit a few places I would suggest that you stay in Southampton then just go to Portsmouth for the day.

Southampton has a lot more going for it. Possibly very few answers to your question for this reason:)

Just reread assuming you are staying more than one night

Re taxi we had one from ship to Portsmouth Harbour a few years ago it was over £40

Edited by electra2008

We stayed in Portsmouth earlier this year. I wouldn't particularly recommend the Marriott, the hotel itself was fine but it was quite a way from the centre.

We were driving so we needed somewhere with a car park.

There is plenty to see in Portsmouth but we only got chance for a quick look round in the morning.

A couple of years ago we stayed near Gosport and took the passenger ferry over to Portsmouth.

The Historic Dockyard is certainly well worth a visit.

The best place to look for hotel recommendations is on Trip Advisor. There's also Booking.com, Trivago, Laterooms etc.

Another vote for choosing a Southampton hotel, it is winter and travel could be difficult if it snows, the UK does not cope well with snowfall IMO!

If its a fine day you could always travel by train or bus, both of which operate regular services to Portsmouth. Lots of hotels in Southampton, the Grand Harbour and a Holiday Inn overlook the docks, any many other major brands nearby.

We far prefer Portsmouth as a place to stay for more than a pre cruise night. There is lots to do and it is a much nicer sea front. However, we have only stayed in the Hilton which is fine (much better than Southamptons Hilton) but it is a way from the centre. We had a car with us so that wasn't a problem.

The journey from Portsmouth to Southampton is easy but I can't remember how long it takes. I would suggest a private transfer would be best. Just build in some contingency in case there is a problem on the motorway. The dreadful construction work chaos appeared to have finished. Thank goodness!!

In 2011 we stayed at the Royal Maritime Club and found it affordable and convenient (not pre cruise, specifically for the museum)

In 2014 we stayed at Beaulieu in the new forest which is an easy drive from Portsmouth (we did a day trip) and Southampton (this one was pre cruise)

Portsmouth is a great destination for a couple of days- lots to see. The Historic Dockyard and Charles Dickens birthplace, Southsea Castle, DDay Museum, Emirates Spinnaker Tower & Gunwharf Quays to name but a few. Hotels range from budget to boutique - take a look at a few on the Port website http://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/ferry_passengers/local_information/hotels

Hi!

We've not (yet) stopped in Southampton so can't comment what it's like to stay there.

But having visited Portsmouth a couple of years ago we'd happily go back for longer. A fascinating historic place with loads to see and do!!

There's an hourly direct train from Portsmouth & Southsea station to Southampton Central. Takes 58 mins leaving at 42 mins past the hour. £10.10 single ticket.

(£10.90 for a day return if you were to stop in Sou and head there for the day)

Regards,

Mr. H.

Ps... We're on QE in December and stopping overnight in Winchester to see the Crimbo Market. A beautiful city and well worth a visit!!

We have decided to stay in Southampton. We'll take the train over. Thank you for all of the suggestions. After a mention of snow and traffic, we thought it would be best to go ahead get into place.