What can an older person do in Port Vila

Hi,

Im going with my mother, who is 81, on Voyager of the seas on a pacific island cruise on the 18th November. We have organised tours for all other ports except Port Vila which mainly seems to be scuba and snorkelling, both which she can't or won't do.

There is also the option of mele cascades, but I have read it can be quite challenging to get to? She is very very good for her age but has anyone had personal experience to know if older can get to the falls? Are there any other options for older people to do there?

I have tried this on the ports forum but no replies, thus why Im trying here.

thank you

Edited by Rencruzr
mistake

Several years ago we went on a family cruise taking my 87 year old mother-in-law. My daughter talked us into taking her with us to the Mele Cascades. At the time my MIL didn't need a walker or walking stick, but she managed to get to the Cascades and LOVED IT. Our family group walked slowly and helped MIL through the shallow (maybe 4-5 inches deep) stream we had to negotiate. When we went, there had been a fair bit of rain so the path was a bit muddy. We had our swimmers on and took turns to just sit in the lowest pool with MIL. She didn't have to walk further up the rocks to the waterfall.

Get a taxi and negotiate the price for the return trip and pay the driver at the end. He won't charge you waiting time even if he does wait.

Remember there is an entry fee to the Cascades. The last time we went it was $20 pp, but it well worth it. It is one place where everyone walks away with a smile on their face. :)

Several years ago we went on a family cruise taking my 87 year old mother-in-law. My daughter talked us into taking her with us to the Mele Cascades. At the time my MIL didn't need a walker or walking stick, but she managed to get to the Cascades and LOVED IT. Our family group walked slowly and helped MIL through the shallow (maybe 4-5 inches deep) stream we had to negotiate. When we went, there had been a fair bit of rain so the path was a bit muddy. We had our swimmers on and took turns to just sit in the lowest pool with MIL. She didn't have to walk further up the rocks to the waterfall.

Get a taxi and negotiate the price for the return trip and pay the driver at the end. He won't charge you waiting time even if he does wait.

Remember there is an entry fee to the Cascades. The last time we went it was $20 pp, but it well worth it. It is one place where everyone walks away with a smile on their face. :)

thanks so much for the reply, thats fantastic she made it and enjoyed it. I think my mother would enjoy it too, its just I also took her to the Kimberleys and we did a guided walk to a waterfall in the Elquestro national park area. When there started to be rocks starting to be haphazardly all over the tracks, sudden drops, then finally having to climb over rocks she had to turn back with another lady, but what you describe seems easier.

You recommend a taxi and I was thinking a cruise tour would be too crowded? and maybe time it to miss the guided tour one. Did you notice a lot of cruise people there when you went? The voyager is a huge ship so I would imagine port attractions would get crowded.

There is a section of steep stairs you have to climb on the walk to the falls, but if she can do stairs ok then that's the hardest part of the walk. The rest is pretty flat or a slight slope, and one section that you need to wade though calf deep water. We did a small private tour with 2 other couples and one of them was in their 80's, they did it ok.

I'd go privately with your own taxi man so you can go at your own pace up and down the falls.

Get taxi man to take you through a local village and to some sites as well so you get a nice little rounded tour.

I agree with these comments. People who go on the ship's tour usually comment that they don't have enough time at the falls. I would count on being there at least an hour. It is just so gorgeous.

I have also done the walk to the falls at El Questro. The walk to Mele Cascades isn't as rough. Except for a shortish flight of concrete stairs it is level or only moderate slopes. Moderately fit people would take about 25 minutes to walk to the falls at an easy pace. With MIL we went a bit slower.

I have been doing lots of research as my husband and I are spending 2 weeks in Port Vila over Christmas. We are both seniors. Re Mele Cascades, with a bit of help your MIL should be able to manage. The information I have found re transport and from a previous cruise:-

Heaps of mini buses just outside the fence at the dock. You can hire one including a driver for the day for approximately $120AUD. The driver will show you around the island including villages. Entrance to the Cascades was $25 per adult when I last checked. The driver should know if Cascades will accept AUD. If you need to Change AUD to VT ask him to take you to Goddies in the town centre. Their exchange rate is the best.

Thanks Aus traveller, Jacs, hellyes and happysnapper you have been very helpful. If it's only steps she can handle that. She's not really into swimming but loves beautiful

Nature sights.

Happysnapper nice to know re the cab driver was not sure if they waited at the falls for you but if they hang around for a day booking that is good. I've heard there is good shopping but we are there a Sunday and they may be shut:(

So we just say to the cab driver show us the falls and island sights for the day?

Thanks Aus traveller, Jacs, hellyes and happysnapper you have been very helpful. If it's only steps she can handle that. She's not really into swimming but loves beautiful

Nature sights.

Happysnapper nice to know re the cab driver was not sure if they waited at the falls for you but if they hang around for a day booking that is good. I've heard there is good shopping but we are there a Sunday and they may be shut:(

So we just say to the cab driver show us the falls and island sights for the day?

Tell the cab driver you want to go to the cascades. Ask him to take you to sights on the way (Parliament House, Chiefs' Meeting House opposite Parl House, lookout where the war memorial is and through a village). Give the driver the option to come back to pick you up, but he will stay. On one occasion I paid for the trip to the Cascades and the driver hung around anyway. That was the time we had the whole family there. When we came out and wanted to go back to the ship, he wanted double the money to do the return trip. Lesson learned. :)

In Vila on a Sunday the duty free shops will be open and the markets behind the main street (along the harbour edge) and also the markets outside the wharf will be open. Businesses that cater for the locals will not be open.

We always use AUD and do not bother changing money to VATU. It is always a question of how much money to change. If you do change money and have some over, the stalls outside the wharf will be only too happy to change it to AUD because they would rather have VATU.

Have a great cruise.:)

Hi happysnapper.

Are you going to the Meet n greet? We can discuss that we live about 80ks away from you - to the south. (**near** Forster)

If not - have a great cruise.

CC (not Cruise Critic)

No we are not cruising. Just going to Vanuatu for a holiday.

Hazydavo: think we will risk the steps she's very good for 81, it was just the uneven rocks on the trail at equestro that got her balance off.

Aus traveller: thanks again I think we will definitely do cab, hope there's one available with the number of people getting of a big ship like voyager!! Thanks for the sites tips...sounds much better than the cruise tours

Hazydavo: think we will risk the steps she's very good for 81, it was just the uneven rocks on the trail at equestro that got her balance off.

Aus traveller: thanks again I think we will definitely do cab, hope there's one available with the number of people getting of a big ship like voyager!! Thanks for the sites tips...sounds much better than the cruise tours

Cool, I'm sure you'll love it there. Enjoy :)

There will be plenty of taxis and many will be vans, ideal if you have several people in your group. There are no meters in the taxis and you will have to negotiate the price. I am sorry to say that the taxi drivers often try to over-charge massively. The price previously quoted of $120 for the whole day for a van would be the maximum you should pay. If you just want to have the short sight-seeing trip I outlined, then go to the Cascades (allow a couple of hours for walking in and then enjoying the place) you should pay around $70. These are in AUD. Don't get in the taxi until you have agreed on a price. The drivers will agree to a price then say "per person". Just refuse firmly and politely but with a smile. Port Vila is the one place where I suggest it would be wise to write the price down (on your port guide or whatever) then show the driver and get him to agree before the deal is finalised. There will literally be a hundred taxis so you can just walk up the line. You will probably notice that some of the drivers will argue (in their own language) with one you are negotiating with trying to get him to "toe the line" on price.

Don't feel that by paying these prices I have mentioned you will be taking advantage of the locals. These prices are way, way higher than that charged to the locals or on non-cruise days. Even so I don't object to paying these prices, as the locals have to make a living, but I won't go along with the exorbitant prices some of the taxi drivers want to charge. I know of people who have ended up paying hundreds of dollars. I have gone into detail so you are prepared. Some people feel intimidated by the drivers as several of them are yelling at you at once, then at each other, trying to get your business. I must say, that in the last year or so the situation has become more orderly as the police now keep order at the wharf gate.

After your visit to the Cascades I suggest you have the taxi drop you in town (if your Mum isn't too tired). If she is, then take her back to the ship and ask your taxi to wait for you so you can go back into town. Don't try to walk. It is too far, the weather will be hot and humid and footpaths are non-existent. Usually the best place to buy duty free is Fung Kuei. This is a pale yellow building on the left at the far end of the main street. If you are going by taxi, you can just say "the Chinaman's". I don't mean to be racist (Kevin the owner is a lovely man), but it might be difficult to remember the name of the ship and the taxi drivers will know where you mean if you refer to the ship as "the Chinaman's".

A taxi to town in the morning costs $15. The price might come down later in the day. To get back to the ship will cost $10. This is for the whole taxi.

Edited by Aus Traveller

We just visited the Mele Cascades this month with my 74 year old parents. Entry is $25AUD adults and $15AUD children. Dad made it to the very top, and mum to the hut just before the top. Both of them are in reasonable health and very fit. It does require crossing streams on the way - which can be rather slippery with mossy weed in the water, but there are ropes to hold onto. Just be prepared to get your legs wet. We were wearing sandals/thongs but I would recommend wearing reef shoes - ones that can get wet but have good grip. The stairs at the start are quite big steps (and uneven heights), equivalent to maybe 3 or 4 flights of stairs, then the rest is dirt tracks like bushwalking here in Australia with dirt steps with wooden board edgings. One thing I did notice was some of the rocky areas near the stream crossings had become slippery with mud from people trudging through. Our driver was our guide for the day, so we asked him to accompany us to the places we went. Here's a photo of mum being helped across one of the streams.

1gW2t9

Also, I don't know how many people know about it but at the top of the formal stairs there is a track to a lookout over Hideaway Island and if you look closely, and you have better weather than us, you will see your cruise ship in the far distance (assuming you arrived on one).

2Q533o

Just on the town side of the Cascades is the road that leads to Hideaway Island and not far down that track is the Tanna Coffee shop, where they roast their beans - and which makes a great Iced Coffee! Entry is free and coffees are about $4AUD each.

K310Dk

Everywhere we went accepted AUD - the Cascades, Tanna Coffee, the Duty Free shop (we went to Paris Shopping), and the big market in town - our driver told us you would probably get a better price here than at the wharf markets along the road.

Port Vila was my favourite day of our whole cruise.

... sorry working on the photos...

Edited by RayWitt001

Photos from above:

Mum crossing a stream on the way up.

22555692435_dc3b001f20_m.jpg

Mele Cascades - view from the hut at the top.

21934516063_eb6f6f7085_m.jpg

Lookout

22542153532_986ebb3ed3_m.jpg

Tanna Coffee

22368036918_a41e3a92fa_m.jpg

fantastic photos Ray, thanks so much for that. Your mum looks to be negotiating that section well though it does look a little slippery! I think I will be holding onto mums elbow if it gets a bit hard for her, although she is very good for 81 most think shes in her early 70s...... thanks again for the photos

There will be plenty of taxis and many will be vans, ideal if you have several people in your group. There are no meters in the taxis and you will have to negotiate the price. I am sorry to say that the taxi drivers often try to over-charge massively. The price previously quoted of $120 for the whole day for a van would be the maximum you should pay. If you just want to have the short sight-seeing trip I outlined, then go to the Cascades (allow a couple of hours for walking in and then enjoying the place) you should pay around $70. These are in AUD. Don't get in the taxi until you have agreed on a price. The drivers will agree to a price then say "per person". Just refuse firmly and politely but with a smile. Port Vila is the one place where I suggest it would be wise to write the price down (on your port guide or whatever) then show the driver and get him to agree before the deal is finalised. There will literally be a hundred taxis so you can just walk up the line. You will probably notice that some of the drivers will argue (in their own language) with one you are negotiating with trying to get him to "toe the line" on price.

Don't feel that by paying these prices I have mentioned you will be taking advantage of the locals. These prices are way, way higher than that charged to the locals or on non-cruise days. Even so I don't object to paying these prices, as the locals have to make a living, but I won't go along with the exorbitant prices some of the taxi drivers want to charge. I know of people who have ended up paying hundreds of dollars. I have gone into detail so you are prepared. Some people feel intimidated by the drivers as several of them are yelling at you at once, then at each other, trying to get your business. I must say, that in the last year or so the situation has become more orderly as the police now keep order at the wharf gate.

After your visit to the Cascades I suggest you have the taxi drop you in town (if your Mum isn't too tired). If she is, then take her back to the ship and ask your taxi to wait for you so you can go back into town. Don't try to walk. It is too far, the weather will be hot and humid and footpaths are non-existent. Usually the best place to buy duty free is Fung Kuei. This is a pale yellow building on the left at the far end of the main street. If you are going by taxi, you can just say "the Chinaman's". I don't mean to be racist (Kevin the owner is a lovely man), but it might be difficult to remember the name of the ship and the taxi drivers will know where you mean if you refer to the ship as "the Chinaman's".

A taxi to town in the morning costs $15. The price might come down later in the day. To get back to the ship will cost $10. This is for the whole taxi.

wow thanks Aus traveller that is a super comprehensive guide there, that will really help us, especially negotiating with the taxi cabs and knowing which sites to see. Its also going to cost a lot less than the rip off cruise ones. I spent $900 for tours for the both of us in the three other ports we are going to with the cruise company, RCI...... at least we are doing our own thing in Port Vila now

fantastic photos Ray, thanks so much for that. Your mum looks to be negotiating that section well though it does look a little slippery! I think I will be holding onto mums elbow if it gets a bit hard for her, although she is very good for 81 most think shes in her early 70s...... thanks again for the photos

When we went with my MIL, on the more difficult parts, one of us was on each side. She had a real sense of accomplishment to get to the Cascades. Even if the OP's Mum doesn't really like to get totally into the water, she might like to sit on the side of the lowest pool with her feet and legs in the water. Take a pool towel for her to sit on.