18 year old High School Student

GypsyLife

Ok so I've looked at old posts, and I've seen lots of opinions on this subject.

We are traveling in Feb with our son's 15 and 18.

We have cruised carnival before, our boys loved the kids clubs....made lots of friends from all over that they still chat with from time to time.

Our 18 year old understands that he can't join the "teen club" this time and he's ok with that.

So I have 2 questions I guess:

Can he go everywhere we go? Like the late comedy shows and so on.

How did your High School "adult" go about meeting peers on the ship?

If he brings his high school ID and he is still a senior in High School I think they will let him in Club 02

Everything I've read on here and on Carnival's site says no :(

Which is the policy, and that's fine.

I guess the part I don't understand is that kids can got to school in this age group. (ours boys school is 9th -12th grade) but can't do a club on the ship together???

It is what it is, just wish they could offer something somewhat organized for the "young adult"

If he brings his high school ID and he is still a senior in High School I think they will let him in Club 02

On our last cruise, our boys were 14 and 16...and they wanted nothing to do with the kids clubs. They went their the first night, met some new friends and just hung with them the rest of the cruise. I would see their little group at different places on the ship throughout the week.

So maybe this 18-year old can just hang outside the club and meet some kids their, or perhaps the gym or lido pool.

There is supposed to be a new group for 18 - 20 year olds. I don't know that much about it but I remember reading on CC about it starting up and I think I saw something on board about it in September.

On our Miracle cruise a few weeks ago there were several 'meetings' for the 18-20yo. The ones I noticed took place in the Disco an hour before the Disco opened to everyone. Bring ID.

I've posted about this before. Last year our then-18 YO son was entering his senior year of high school when we went on our Alaska cruise. He had no intention of registering for Club O2, but he met some friends in the arcade and the sports deck who asked the director whether he might be able to join. He had his high school ID and, since there wasn't a large number of kids registered for Club O2, he was allowed to register. Even though he was 18, I did have to complete paperwork for him. If there are a lot of kids registered, though, don't count on the high school ID getting them into Club O2.

How this son finds friends: he goes to the arcade and the sports deck. He loves playing basketball and always finds people to play with, and they end up hanging out together.

As for activities onboard - anything is fair game except alcohol and Serenity. Our son doesn't drink and would never want to hang out with the old folks (like DH and me) on the Serenity Deck.:p

How this son finds friends: he goes to the arcade and the sports deck. He loves playing basketball and always finds people to play with, and they end up hanging out together.

This. They may also find a group of 18 (+) year olds hanging out just outside the entrance to club 02.

I had an 18 year old H.S. Senior (girl) in 2012 when we cruised. The Club 02 Director DID allow exceptions as the demographics on this sailing was a light load in the 15-18 range. They also allowed in a couple almost 15 year old kids who were in H.S. As others have stated, many times the 15 and up kids use the area outside Club 02 to meet up and hang out.

I was also active on our roll-call and knew several families with kids in that age range (including one of the 14 year olds...). We had an informal meet and greet after muster drill so the older kids could meet early in the cruise. Via the roll call, we also chose some of the same excursions so the kids had others their age for port days.

I completed several surveys and mentioned having something for the 18-20 year olds early in the cruise so they can meet. Glad they are trying this again. When my DD was 19, there was a Meet Up for 18-20 in the Fun Times but she was the only one who showed up. Seems now they are putting invites in the cabins on day 1. For those with kids in this age range, please encourage your kids to attend these events. If the activities are not utilized, they will be discontinued.

And, if your son wants to just hang with you... enjoy the time with him. Time passes so quickly after H.S.

My most recent experience with this is in 2014 on the Dream. At that time they still allowed 18yo high school kids with ID to register and join club O2. They didn't even treat it as an "exception". Things could have changed since then, but I haven't cruise with teens since then. I will be doing so again in December on the Freedom and can update then. I have an 18yo high school senior again.

Edited by Athankfulheart
Fixing typos

Thanks everyone!!

This is all very helpful. We are hoping for the meet and greet and otherwise we will go from there.

I'm glad that he will be able to participate in the entertainment with us if he doesn't find a group to hang with on the ship.

He loves the sports court which should help to meet people.

I'm sure it will all work out. I am more worried about it then he is......but that's what mom's do I guess.

We are all just happy to sneak in a family vacation before graduation.