Lido Buffet Hours

HectorAchilleus

Also, the pizza lines are usually insane at that time - another indication that more food options are needed.

I think that's the real key issue. Most people on this thread don't share your (and my) sentiment, but this thread must not be an accurate representation. If the pizza lines are insanely slammed, then that means that plenty of people are wanting food at that time, and they don't want to mess with room service (lack of decent options, having to pay--tip, waiting around in the room, etc). And if there is a common thread to those times that they are slammed (after returning from a port or late evening-especially after deck parties), then it doesn't take a genius to realize that more food options are needed at those times.

I rarely eat on shore in the ports. Many reasons for that. Cost, picky eater, having to hunt, a stomach that doesn't handle unusual foods too well. Many other reasons why people may not want to eat on shore. Again, if we were an extreme minority, then the pizza and/or deli lines on board wouldn't be very long.

I think that's the real key issue. Most people on this thread don't share your (and my) sentiment, but this thread must not be an accurate representation. If the pizza lines are insanely slammed, then that means that plenty of people are wanting food at that time, and they don't want to mess with room service (lack of decent options, having to pay--tip, waiting around in the room, etc). And if there is a common thread to those times that they are slammed (after returning from a port or late evening-especially after deck parties), then it doesn't take a genius to realize that more food options are needed at those times.

I rarely eat on shore in the ports. Many reasons for that. Cost, picky eater, having to hunt, a stomach that doesn't handle unusual foods too well. Many other reasons why people may not want to eat on shore. Again, if we were an extreme minority, then the pizza and/or deli lines on board wouldn't be very long.

I agree that it would be nice and I'm sure that there would be plenty of people who would partake; however, I also understand why Carnival would not want to keep the buffet open. As I'm sure you've experienced, there is alot of wasted food every time the lido closes. Not all options are very popular. Also, this would be a significant cost to CCL - having a full buffet open for extended hours would be expensive.

Most ships have a Deli that is open until 10:00 p.m. - I believe their hours are 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. (something like that), so CCL is providing something other than pizza for passengers. If you're unable to eat during the normal buffet times, it seems reasonable to me that people should be satisfied that there are options though you may not like them.

If you're unable to eat during the normal buffet times, it seems reasonable to me that people should be satisfied that there are options though you may not like them.

What if they shortened the hours and YOU could not eat during those times?

In the hospitality business the reasonable thing is to listen to your paying guests and make changes that they want. You can't just generalize and say people should be satisfied with whatever they get. If people aren't satisfied, as I said earlier, let Carnival know. If they know they have the opportunity to do something about it at least.

We will be sailing on the Inspiration at Thanksgiving...We have not sailed with Carnival in about 5 years...I was not aware they have changed the lido times...can someone tell me what hours it is open and what hours the deli is open?

We would have to agree with there being limited options at around 3pm or after dinner buffet closes.

Sometimes we have had this experience happen.

While no one is suggesting the full buffet stay open and a bunch of food is wasted, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have more choices than pizza, Guys before 6pm and deli before 11pm.

It would be Sooo great if Guys & the Blue Iguana would stay open late.

After a night of ship play, I'd bet plenty of people would go for good burgers or tacos/burritos.

Yes, there is room service which is what we end up using in these situations.

They are changing the RS menu to exclude at least 4-5 of the sandwiches, which really, really stinks and is a big step backwards.

They are adding for charge items, maybe good, maybe not.

It is what it is, for sure, but if anything is ever to change, it is true you should make comments about to the vendor.

When the majority raises a voice, change can happen.

The recent beverage policy changes is a good example of that.

If your happy with what is, in an effort to keep your fares low, so be it.

We are all allowed our opinions, it seems so many posters here on CC spend their time trying to tell others their opinion is wrong or are trying to jam there opinions down others throat.

Edited by silvercrikhix

We would have to agree with there being limited options at around 3pm or after dinner buffet closes.

Sometimes we have had this experience happen.

While no one is suggesting the full buffet stay open and a bunch of food is wasted, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have more choices than pizza, Guys before 6pm and deli before 11pm.

It would be Sooo great if Guys & the Blue Iguana would stay open late.

After a night of ship play, I'd bet plenty of people would go for good burgers or tacos/burritos.

Yes, there is room service which is what we end up using in these situations.

They are changing the RS menu to exclude at least 4-5 of the sandwiches, which really, really stinks and is a big step backwards.

They are adding for charge items, maybe good, maybe not.

It is what it is, for sure, but if anything is ever to change, it is true you should make comments about to the vendor.

When the majority raises a voice, change can happen.

The recent beverage policy changes is a good example of that.

If your happy with what is, in an effort to keep your fares low, so be it.

We are all allowed our opinions, it seems so many posters here on CC spend their time trying to tell others their opinion is wrong or are trying to jam there opinions down others throat.

I really do appreciate a lot of the suggestions from everyone, but some of the alternatives will not work for us. We are on a budget - we have enough for a cruise now and then, but can not justify buying lunches and meals on shore. We do like Guys, but it is not on all ships, and is not something that you would want two hours before dinner. They used to have a Caesar salad with the awful old pizza, but not on the last two cruises that I was on. The room service menu seemed limited, we did not want to eat in the room, and now they charge for a lot of items.

The one poster was correct - We will certainly not go hungry; but it would be nice to have choices other than Pizza.

I have never found the lines too crowded but haven't been on Carnival for years. Does it depend what time you get back on the ship when in port? I think we may just have room service and use the time to freshen up. Do they not serve cakes etc. In the afternoon?

I have never found the lines too crowded but haven't been on Carnival for years. Does it depend what time you get back on the ship when in port? I think we may just have room service and use the time to freshen up. Do they not serve cakes etc. In the afternoon?

The lunch buffet usually closes around 2:30, leaving Guys (if the ship has it) and on some ships the deli. Other than that it is pizza. I think that the dinner buffet closes around 9:00 leaving only pizza. No salads, cakes, dessert (other than ice cream). Because the pizza is made to order, the lines can get very long.

Room service is now changing to a fee service with a few items left on at no charge. However, if you come back with friends, it is not practical for all of us to order room service.

Our group are snackers...but planners as well. We hit the buffet in the morning, after breakfast in the dining room and pick out some all-day food to keep in our room (and the fridge if we have one). We'll grab some bananas, oranges, apples (and into our zip lock bags) goes some melon. We also grab some breakfast pastries or some bagels, butter and cream cheese. Then when we get back from port we have some filler food to get us until dinner if needs be.

But it would be nice if Carnival did have a 24/7 area with some pre-packaged salads, fruit, some bread options, some fresh vegies with dips, and some soup. A kind of grab and go place with beverages, coffee and juices.

But, we do use room service (a few dollars in tips doesn't hurt our budget).

It would be nice to just have some snack food options. Leave one station open in the Lid and have some hot dogs available, or chips & salsa, or chips and cheese dip, or hot pretzels. Or utilize the Taste Bar as an afternoon snack bar on port days...

We very much agree with making improvements here -- which could be helped with minimal changes.

(And this is coming from a fan of Carnival cruises with two currently booked ... including one, a quickie, that starts this Thursday! :) )

On Valor, at least two port hours opened precisely at noon.

With no other food options (other than room service), there were mass lines of people waiting to wolf something down, so they could then go onshore, catch excursions as well.

Same for morning. A very minimalistic continental-breakfast style station with pastries and fruit would be easy to set out at 5:30 - when, you better believe, there are folks roaming the ships (from moms and dads with fussy infants to retirees used to getting up early). Same thing for lunch. Opening one side at 11 or 11:30 could make a world of difference.

As I say: We like Carnival. But having sailed on four lines repeatedly, Carnival is the only ones that make grabbing a quick bite early morning or early lunch such a challenge.

For those ships who have them Guys and Blue Iguana would be a thoughtful addition for those looking for food later at night... What food options are open late on the mainland? What comes to mind are burgers, taco, and pizza places to name the majority. As for the mid afternoon snack seems room service is a good option.