Excursions and medicine for 3 yr & 6 yr

sorgau

Hi

We are sailing on NCL Getaway in Nov 29 and would like to receive advice on excursions and medication.

We have previously sailed with RC when the youngest was 6 months old and at that time, we were just happy to be on the ship but now that the kids are a bit older(6 & 3), we thought maybe we can try excursions but not sure what will be good for the kids.

We will be departing from Miami then Great Stirrup Cay, Ocho Rios, George Town, and Cozumel.

Many of the excursions available from the cruise line seems to have age limitation of 4 and up (like best of ocho rios) and if we could get any advice on appropriate excursions for our family, it will be greatly appreciated.

Another thing we need help is with medication. Other than fever, pain, allergy medication, what other medication will be helpful to have on the cruise? The kids weren't sick last time on RC but I heard that Getaway is rockier than other ships and I'm a bit worried about the sea sickness. Is there medication that kids can take safely?

Hi

We are sailing on NCL Getaway in Nov 29 and would like to receive advice on excursions and medication.

We have previously sailed with RC when the youngest was 6 months old and at that time, we were just happy to be on the ship but now that the kids are a bit older(6 & 3), we thought maybe we can try excursions but not sure what will be good for the kids.

We will be departing from Miami then Great Stirrup Cay, Ocho Rios, George Town, and Cozumel.

Many of the excursions available from the cruise line seems to have age limitation of 4 and up (like best of ocho rios) and if we could get any advice on appropriate excursions for our family, it will be greatly appreciated.

Another thing we need help is with medication. Other than fever, pain, allergy medication, what other medication will be helpful to have on the cruise? The kids weren't sick last time on RC but I heard that Getaway is rockier than other ships and I'm a bit worried about the sea sickness. Is there medication that kids can take safely?

Stirrup Cay was the highlight of our trip when sailing on the NCL Sky. I packed a blow up floating ring for my 2 year old and she used it for hours on Stirrup Cay. Your children might enjoy the Hippo slide on Stirrup Cay. However there is a fee to use the slide, I would suggest that you only buy a few rides down the slide vs. paying for unlimited usage. There are other floating mats and rings that you can rent on Stirrup Cay. I highly recommend you rent a clam shell, as there is limited shade, for the little ones to rest as the day goes on. Pack a few sand toys from home and the kids will have lots of fun at this particular location. I haven’t been to the other ports of call mentioned in your post.

As far as medications I packed the usual pain, fever, cold, and allergy. I also packed things for an upset stomach and anti-diarrhea just in case the little ones ate something that didn’t agree with them. (From what I hear I if you have an upset stomach onboard and seek medical attention or seek to buy medicine for an upset stomach; they will immediately quarantine you.) Seabands and kids' Dramaine, will help sea sickness.

Hi

I have not been to GSC but I believe that is the private island stop? If so, that is a going to be a great port for the kids. No need to plan anything and just enjoy the beach.

Ocho Rios might be a bit more challenging - I have been there on a land vacation, but not set to cruise there until December, where we have booked a private excursion. I would stay AWAY from Dunn River Falls. I don't know if NCL offers it, but with CCL, I have left my youngest on board for a port on a week long cruise; IF if it is an option and you are open to doing it (please don't flame me - my child was 2 and 3 each , in great hands, his 8/9 year old brother got cultural experiences he wouldn't have appreciated and he had such a good time he didn't realize we were gone) then I would suggest this is the port for that. If not, then I am betting you could book privately - just use TA to find a reputable tour operator to give you an island tour. Surprisingly, my kids have LOVED every island tour we have been on because they enjoy the personal attention from the guide.

Cayman is also a great port for kids because they have the sting rays and the turtle farm; there are plenty of tours that should allow your 3 year old to go. If not, try booking privately. The other option in Cayman is 7 mile beach which is a simply cab ride from the tender drop off.

Cozumel is another great port for families. I cannot recommend Chankanaab park enough. It is a 10 minute cab ride from the pier. You can book privately for much cheaper than the cruise line and have more freedom. The dolphin encounter is great and I believe the 3 year old is free. Our youngest was 4 when we did it and his dad held him in the water. There is so much to do at Chankanaab from the cultural exhibits to crocodiles to walking the lagoon and seeing the iguanas to a pool to a small beach. They have a restaurant so you can get drinks and snacks if you are hungry. You could also opt for another true beach day here, depending on your families likes.

We've been to all of those ports either when our dd was almost 2 or when she was 3. We mostly do beach excursions with her, so if that's what you're into, I can recommend taking the beach tours with NCL. You can leave them at the kids club while you go in port if you want to. Our dd loves the beach and so do we, so we always brought her with us.

In Cozumel we've done the ship excursion twice that goes to Playa Mia. There's a huge beach out front and behind the beach there's a great splash park as well as a regular pool. The package includes chairs and umbrellas, entrance to the park, and bus transportation. You can get the buffet and drink package too, which is what we did, so it was all inclusive. Our dd loved it there, especially when she was 3.

In Cayman we did a beach break tour to Seven Mile Beach. This went to beach bar that includes chairs. Great sand, tons of shade. That was a nice relaxing day. You don't have to take the bus/tour as we did. There are a lot of private vans taxis that will take you there. It was just easier to have a bus without the car seats and someone to tell us what time to come back.

We also did a beach break in Ocho Rios. There isn't a lot of other tours I'd take little kids on in this port. However, our beach was great, the entertainment was fun and we had a really great day, so I wouldn't just stay on the ship.

GSC is a beach break by its nature. The water is usually calm although a bit colder than the other ports. DD was taken aback by this but got used to it. Not always easy to find shade there.

As for meds, I wouldn't take anything you've never taken at home. One thing no one mentioned was Pedialyte. We just bring the mix in tubes. Never needed them but if she ever got sick that would come in handy. We also bring thermometer, Pepto chewables, fever reducer, bandaids, and Neosporin.

Have fun!