North vs. South - Which is the best way to cruise

cruisinlady

My preference for Northbound would be the ease of arriving in Vancouver. For me it is wanting to get from the airport to the cruiseship terminal and on the ship on that first day. There is much excitement! With flights to Anchorage, for a Southbound cruise, I would have to spend one night, arriving one day ahead of time.

Also check out the times in port/cruising the glaciers as these may vary on N and S bound trips - in particular Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

I've heard that the southbound cruises are smoother because you are going with the current. That said, there is no guarantee that any cruise will be smooth.

We did a few days pre-cruise on our own in Alaska, and then a SB cruise and a few more days in Vancouver post-cruise. It is a great adventure!

I prefer Northbound - the port days are longer in Juneau which is my favorite port. I also prefer the times in Glaicer Bay and College Fiords when you go North. Definitely look at the times in port when picking. Many people miss College Fiords when they sail South because it is very early in the morning the day after one embarks (people are tired and sleep in).

Not sure which trip is rougher - 5 of my cruises to Alaska were very smooth but my last Southbound was the roughest cruise I have ever been on (worse then the time I cruised during a hurricane). I think it can be rough either direction (or smooth either direction).

I prefer Northbound and have done that 3 times. The scenery gets better each day. I would rather inbound into Vancouver than outbound. Some prefer the southbound, especially if doing a land tour in Alaska. They land tour first, then relax on the cruise southbound. The flight home from Anchorage or Fairbanks is much longer than from Vancouver. Are you planning to do a land tour?

I only went once (so far), but went Northbound and loved it.

For us, coming from NY, it was great to start in a "busier" place, and every day sail further and further into the wilderness. We chose to do the cruise portion of the trip first, so we could relax before the land tour.

It was smooth sailing when we went, except for one night, and we went June 21st, so was there with the midnight sun.

We did a 7 day land trip after (thru Princess), and went thru Denali Park, and then flew to Kotzabue, and Nome, Alaska.

I think I would have been very disappointed if I had done it the other way around. Each day getting back into civilization would make me think the trip was over quicker.

But to each his own...I'm sure no matter which way you do it, you'll love it!

Archived