Helpful Website Information

May I make the contribution of my website to the list ?

***** contains travel and history articles-mostly about Rome & the area near Civitavecchia port, which is still so mysterious to most Americans.

With hopes that readers will gain insight into the country where I've enjoyed living for the past 40 years.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Mary Jane

How lucky you are to live in such a wonderful place! How did you happen to end up there?

Elin.....Hi....are we still dreaming about Europe,even though we've been back for months ????

Sharon

Yup!:D

That and this is my one really good time (and frustration) saving tip to book your Florence Museum tickets in advance. (That, and to go see The Last Supper if you are in Milan!)

Elin

I came fresh out of college and have been teaching, writing guidebooks and historic books ever since. I understand that some of you will be having culture shock when you land in Civitavecchia and try to find your way around, thus I am contributing what I can to smooth the path.

After all, I have culture shock when I go back to the States, as I will in June for the book tour for my latest, "Travels to Tuscany & Northern Lazio".

Mary Jane

• 3 weeks later...

I was poking around on the Europe thread and noticed a lot of new people and a lot of questions flying around. I thought I would bump this up for all the newcommers.

I also just realized that I neglected to put my FAVORITE GUIDE'S webiste on my original list. It is http://www.seesorrento.com/index_eng.html This is Marcello who does private tours in and around Naples. You won't be dissapointed if you book him!!!

Sorry Marcello if you see this!

Thanks so much for starting this great thread. We are just thinking of doing the Med cruise in Oct of 2007. I thought I saw in one of your posts that when you returned, you would point out the web sites that had been most helpful to you. Can you list at least a few that would be a good starting point?

Thanks for a great thread!

When we took our trip to Europe one of the most frustrating thing to me was not being able to locate websites through my search engines. I think it may be more difficult because of the language barriers. I decided to post all of the sites I found in order to help all those super organizers, such as myself, with their trip planning. I am very happy that it is helping others!!

jst4fun715:

I found the tourism sites very helpful. Particularly the ones on Barcelona and Monaco because these were the only ports we did without a guide. I also was very happy with the Monaco site because I was able to order tourist guides for free from the site. These sites helped a great deal because it included a detailed brochure on the various attractions in Monaco as well as maps and bus schedules. I also found the train schedule for our Nice stop to be very helpful. It allowed me to plan when we needed to leave the ship in order to make the train and the time we needed to leave Monaco in order to make it back. I was very pleased with the hotel we chose and all of our guides.

Hope this helps. If you have any additional questions just let me know. I am always willing to help.

Thanks so much again, Catherine. I have heard the Royal Caribbean Med schedules will be out on 20 April and I can hardly wait. Did you do all of the excursions on your own or did you do any through the cruise line? I would really prefer to do on my own, but I sure don't want to be late and miss the ship.:eek: I think the sites you gave will have enough detail to prevent that. Were there any things you did that you feel are a "not to be missed"? And one more question...we so enjoy having a balcony cabin for relaxing, but the itinerary seems so very port intensive, do you think it is worth the extra $$ for a balcony?

Carol,

My biggest advice is to use the private guides that are recommended on these boards. We managed to see twice as much as anyone we were able to speak to about their excursions. Going to Europe for us was a once in a lifetime trip and we didn't want to miss a thing. The cost, because we shared with three other women we met through CC, was half the cost of the others we spoke too. In Marseille we booked a guide because the cost was actually cheaper than many of the ship offered excursions and we really wanted to see Aix en Provence, Casis, and Marseille. None of the ship excursions offered all three. There was so much to see in Rome, Florence, and the Amalfi Coast that we decided to book a private guide for these ports.

My other largest piece of advice. Spend a few days in Barcelona before or after the cruise. This was actually my favorite city. It is clean, elegant, has the most friendly people, lots of stuff to see, the tourist bus is wonderfult, and Las Ramblas is not to be missed. I actually did not expect to like Barcelona at all and I was shocked at how much I loved it. I want to go back there and spend a whole week with the family.

Not too be missed:...EVERYTHING!!!:D

David in Florence. I would have been very upset to have missed this.

Changing of the guards in Monaco. I did miss this and was sad.

We did not visit EZE but wished we had when we heard everyone talking about it on board. In Rome don't skip the Vatican. It is amazing. Don't miss a drive down the Amalfi Coast or Pompeii. Also take time to enjoy the culture. Walk the streets and have lunch at an outdoor cafe. There is nothing like it.

We also love a balcony and I had the same question you have. Would it be worth the money with such a port intensive cruise. Enjoying my coffee and breakfast while I watched us pull into ports told me that I made the right decision. The views are beautiful. Relaxing after a busy day with a cup of coffee while we pulled out of port and watched the coast go by just reinforced that opinion.

Catherine, again, thank you! I have been to Europe several times for land only vacations and actually worked in England for a summer while I was in college...many moons ago!:eek: There were four of us American girls traveling together and we covered a lot of territory. I've seen the big sights in Florence and Rome, but DH has never been there so we would definitely want to see them again. I have never been to Monte Carlo and would like to see that and also the Amalfi Coast. I have read some things already about Eze and sounds great.

I'm hoping that some friends of ours from England will join us on this cruise too. They also have a home near Alicante, Spain that we visited last year and would love to spend some time there again. We didn't make it to Barcelona so I definitely want to spend a couple of days there. It really has never been high on my places to see, but the more I read everyone's comments, I know now that I definitely want to see it.

Again, thanks for the advice...you may be hearing from me again!:D

This is a terrific thread. Thanks to all who have contributed. I read through quickly so these two suggestions may have already been listed. If you are extending for a pre or post stay in Rome take a look at Contextrome.org or com, and Enjoyrome.com, both sites are filled with information and free things to do. They both provide small in-depth walking tours with native English speakers which generally last about 3 hours. Last Sunday we did an evening tour of Trestevere which was wonderful! It turned out that our guide had been our guide for the Vatican in the fall of 2004.

Hope these add something. We love Italy and have now been back three years in a row. Enjoy!

Regards,

Shannon

• 2 weeks later...

Cruising Friends!

I don't know how to thank all of you for the web sites!!! Since this is my first big venture across the sea...I really had no idea where to begin. I have had as much fun researching the sites as I did planning the trip.

I love RCCL and am really looking forward to my first trip on "The Brilliance". I've seen her docked in Miami and she looks georgeous!!

When I get back I will sure share all of my adventures with all of you.

Thanks again!!!!!

Thanks for all the help and information the websites for Rome are very helpful.Does any one have information for the Greek Isles we are on the Noordam July 10 and can't decide about tours for some of the islands.Eastern Med trip go to many place that are hard to find info on. Thanks:)

We are also booking a private tour of Aix en Provence, Mt St Victoria, Casis, and Marseille. Can you share a little about what you enjoyed in each place? Did you miss anything that others may have mentioned aboard ship? We leave in 11 more days:D :D

A friendly suggestion for the last two posters - I suggest making a new post with a heading that will attract attention from those who might have answers or suggestions. Include the specific ports you have questions about, and maybe the ship you are sailing on.

Otherwise, I think it's great to "top" this thread every now and then with a "thank you" to the OP and other contributors, or to add additional helpful web sites.

• 1 month later...

fantastic - glad I looked back in this old stuff! Does anyone know of a website that lists what cruise ships will be in port on a particular day, or gives port info, especially for ports in the Med, plus Greece (if that's not considered the Med)? I always like to figure out how far from civilization we'll dock, but it's difficult!

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the Campania artecard for Naples and surrounding area. We plan to go to Pompeii, maybe Herculanium and use public transportation. The Italian Tourist board in NYC send me information on the artecard.

For 13 euro it includes all public transportation, including the railroad to Pompeii and a return trip on the Metro del Mare line MM1. It also includes admission to 2 museums, including Pompeii, Herculanium, the National Archeological Museum and 50% off admission to any other museums.

According to the local experts at Tripadvisor they sell them at most places you buy tickets, including in the marine terminal.

• 3 months later...

Thank you so very much in detailing all these sites.....I am going to have a ball reviewing all these sites and pinpointing exactly what it is I want to see....I wish I could do it all...but unless I marry a count or something over in Italy..I don't think it will be possible....:p ...

but again many thanks who inputted all those sites....greatly appreciated.....:) :) :)