Helpful Website Information

• 4 weeks later...

Thank-you...to the OP and everyone who has contributed to this thread!!!

I will be going on the Inugural Freedom cruise in March...and this is the first time in Europe!!! I have really gained so much useful knowledge from everyone's help!!! Thanks for all the links!! It really helps with the planning!!!

• 3 months later...

We will be doing the western Med in MAy 2007. It is our first time to Europe and DH and I are not brave people. How 'scary" is taking off on one of the trains and doing tours outside the ship's.

Thank you to the OP and all other contributors. This is a great thread which will help many who will cruise in the European waters.

NPB, taking a private tour is always a little risk, but when you do research and choose a company that is well recommended from previous cruisers, it does take away a lot of the anxiety. I have yet to do private train transportation in Europe. Maybe on our May cruise, I will get brave. However, you can always just take the ships transportation into Rome or Florence and "do it on your own".

What ship are you on?

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

We set up private tours at almost every port. Most tours allow up to six people. Our group had a total of three and we found another group of three. This meant for a private guide the cost was around $100-$125 each, compared to the ship cost of $200-$300. We were able to see more and to customize our tours. I would highly recommend this.

We took off on our own in Monaco and Eze. Would highly recommend this. The train station is a short walk down the waterfront. Train runs often and stops at the base of Eze and in the heart of Monaco. No problems and not scary at all.

NPB - this thread was posted last year and should provide you with some useful information

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=304552

Also suggest you start new threads asking for DIY advice for each port individually, by name, and also use the 'Search' feature of this board to look for info on each port by name.

Bottom line - if you are willing to put in the time req'd to do the research (and there is tons of useful information on this website), you can do most ports on your own for a lot less $$ and get a real sense of accomplishment from doing so.

• 2 months later...

I've been looking at the roll call for our next cruise and several people are asking questions about the ports and transportation and I found this site to be so helpful, I'm going to send them a link to find some of these great sites that I found so helpful in our last 2 Med. cruises.

Another site that someone listed on our roll call thread is: http://www.vtp.it

It has a schedule of ships, the berth and nice maps of Venice. Between this web site and the one for the water buses and land buses, you can figure out how to get around quite easily.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I can't provide any website links but if it's of interest here are 7 videos I made from an Eastern Med Cruise in July 2009.

DUBROVNIK

Showing a walk around the old city walls and a great place for a cooling drink. Easy to do on your own, but you may wish to take a short taxi from the dock to the Pile Gate. Going back is all downhill so pay attention on the way up so you may judge if you can walk back to your ship.

CORFU 2.02

The old town, a trip to the top of the Old Fort, the Esplanade and The Liston. Another easy D-I-Y one if you don't wish to explore the island.

ANCIENT SANCTUARY OF OLYMPIA

The Palaestra, Temple of Hera, Altar of Hera, Temple of Zeus, the stadium and the Archaeological Museum. Olympia is 40 km from Katakolon so we took a ship's tour. You can do it by public transport but we wanted a guide and this was the easiest option.

SANTORINI 2:05

Caldera views, Donkeys, Perissa Beach and the Volcano and Hot Springs tour. Easy to do on your own.

EPHESUS 3:44

A half-day tour of the famous site, including the Grand Theatre, Celsus Library and inside the Terrace Houses, plus a 5 minute stop at the site of the Temple of Artemis. The site is 18 km from the port so transport is required. We pre-booked an independent tour which worked out very well.

ATHENS

The Acropolis and a stroll around the State Agora. Took a bus & train there and back - allow 50 minutes each way - you will almost certainly do it much faster. We also went in the New Acropolis Museum (stunning)but photography was not permitted there.

MESSINA 1:59

The Piazza del Duomo and the famous 'show' at noon, plus a look at the Stromboli, a.k.a. the Lighthouse of the Mediterranean on the return to our embarkation port of Civitivecchia. This is all within 150 yards of the ship so you could look around it after a trip to Etna and/or Taormina.

• 1 month later...

DUBROVNIK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-KvM...eature=channel

Showing a walk around the old city walls and a great place for a cooling drink. Easy to do on your own, but you may wish to take a short taxi from the dock to the Pile Gate. Going back is all downhill so pay attention on the way up so you may judge if you can walk back to your ship.

The best website to use for information on Dubrovnik is:

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/index.php

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...