Explore Australia Pre-cruise Tour pricing?

boulders

Has anyone taken HAL's pre- or post-cruise "Explore Australia" Tour? I'm planning on taking the Noordam (or whatever ship is doing the route) in 2018 on a cruise from Sydney to Auckland. We'll have visited Sydney before, but I would like to visit Uluru with a guided tour prior to the cruise and HAL's "Explore Australia" 6 night pre- cruise tour itinerary looks about perfect. I haven't been able to find any reviews or pricing on this though. Does anyone have any info?

I just took a look at this itinerary and I think they are trying to cram way too much into too short of a time frame. (FWIW, I lived in Australia for a number of years and have been to both Cairns, Uluru and Alice Springs multiple times.) So much of this tour is spent getting from one place to the next--essentially two days' worth of sightseeing time is taken up by transportation..

For Sydney to Cairns allow 5 hours for transfer from hotel, time waiting in airport, flight time (2 hours) and transfer to Cairns hotel.

For Cairns to Uluru, allow 6 hours for the above (3.5 hour flight)

The trip from Uluru to Alice Springs via bus will take at least 6 hours of just driving--not allowing for any stops along the way.

For Alice Springs to Sydney, allow 6 hours for transfer/waiting/flight (3.5 hrs)/transfer.

If you just want to go to Uluru, it can easily be done on your own from Sydney. I'd allow at least 2 nights there and, if you want a guided tour, there are plenty available. Look at AAT Kings guided day tours as well as the tours offered by the Ayers Rock Resort. I think you'll have a much better experience (and likely for less money) than taking the tour offered by HAL.

Yes, it's the sixth largest country in the world but with vast expanses between clusters of communities. It takes a long time to travel around although it's very worth it - from what I've managed to fit in! The Ghan is a very long train trip if you do the whole route. I've never taken it but if you have the time it may be what you want! Especially if you can get off where you want and carry on some other way. But I don't think it comes through very often...

Or take the Ghan from Sydney to Alice Springs......I was so glad we did it' date=' as otherwise I don't think I would have really understood how big Australia is.

Barbara M. In NH[/quote']

Unfortunately The Ghan does not leave from Sydney. It leaves from Adelaide or Darwin and travels either North or South through the middle of Australia.

You would need more than a couple of days pre or post cruise to make this journey. The train makes some stops along the way for excursions. (Very much like excursions from a ship). It is a wonderful way to see the centre of Australia.

Sorry, it may have changed in the years since we did it. We left from Sydney, through the Blue Mountains and Broken Hill, stopped in Adelaide and did an afternoon's tour, then continued to Alice which was the end of the line at that time.....I know it continues North now .

But it was one of the highlights of my traveling life....looking out the window in the dark, and seeing no lights as far as the eye could see made me realize what a huge, empty country Australia was. Wonderful trip, even if the itinerary has changed!

Barbara M. In NH

Sorry' date=' it may have changed in the years since we did it. We left from Sydney, through the Blue Mountains and Broken Hill, stopped in Adelaide and did an afternoon's tour, then continued to Alice which was the end of the line at that time.....I know it continues North now .

But it was one of the highlights of my traveling life....looking out the window in the dark, and seeing no lights as far as the eye could see made me realize what a huge, empty country Australia was. Wonderful trip, even if the itinerary has changed!

Barbara M. In NH[/quote']

You could still do a similar trip. Take the Indian Pacific - Sydney to Adelaide then change to the Ghan to travel North. That would be a wonderful experience.

Our first visit to Australia we were there 3 weeks, we flew from Sydney to Alice Springs (back to Sydney, no direct flights from Alice Springs to Cairns), then on to Cairns (then again back to Sydney for the flight home).

Our second visit to Australia we were there 4 weeks, but we purchased an air pass with 5 stops. We flew from Sydney to Launceston Tasmania, on to Adelaide, on to Perth, on to Darwin and back to Sydney for our flight home.

Imagine trying to visit the United States and what you would see in 1 week. Australia is a wonderful destination, but it is time consuming to travel such vast distances.

Cruiseline add-on tours are usually very expensive. If you are up for independent DIY, check if airlines still offer the passes. I believe you could pick from 3 stop, 5 stop, & 7 stop passes when we went. We just took taxi's from the various airports to hotels, no transfers pre-arranged. I did research hotels and book them in advance. Some were good, some not so good. It is sometimes difficult to tell on-line.

We did a lot of AAT King tours at the various stops, they do a good job.

We didn't rent any cars (they drive on the opposite side of the car and road), so we were afraid to attempt driving ourselves.

Australia is an awesome destination, however you decide to see it, it will be amazing! Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Our first visit to Australia we were there 3 weeks, we flew from Sydney to Alice Springs (back to Sydney, no direct flights from Alice Springs to Cairns), then on to Cairns (then again back to Sydney for the flight home).

Our second visit to Australia we were there 4 weeks, but we purchased an air pass with 5 stops. We flew from Sydney to Launceston Tasmania, on to Adelaide, on to Perth, on to Darwin and back to Sydney for our flight home.

Imagine trying to visit the United States and what you would see in 1 week. Australia is a wonderful destination, but it is time consuming to travel such vast distances.

Cruiseline add-on tours are usually very expensive. If you are up for independent DIY, check if airlines still offer the passes. I believe you could pick from 3 stop, 5 stop, & 7 stop passes when we went. We just took taxi's from the various airports to hotels, no transfers pre-arranged. I did research hotels and book them in advance. Some were good, some not so good. It is sometimes difficult to tell on-line.

We did a lot of AAT King tours at the various stops, they do a good job.

We didn't rent any cars (they drive on the opposite side of the car and road), so we were afraid to attempt driving ourselves.

Australia is an awesome destination, however you decide to see it, it will be amazing! Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Exactly! On our first trip, we spent a week in Sydney (DH on business, me touring, and a little bit of being wined and dined by the company he was dealing with. Then we took the Ghan (as it was then) through to Alice, spent a few days at Uluru, and flew on to Brisbane and the Gold Coast to spend 5 days at Heron Island.....glorious!

But as I tell friends, that trip was the equivalent of of a tourist coming to the U.S. And saying,"well, we want to see New York City, and Disneyworld, and while we're there, we should probably make a quick stop to see the Grand Canyon." A wonderful trip, but a ridiculous itinerary!

Since then, we've been back and spent more time in Sydney and another 5 days on Heron, and that makes a lot more sense.

And Strath, I'd love to do the Indian Pacific all the way from Perth to Sydney. Have you done it?

Barbara M. In NH

Has anyone taken HAL's pre- or post-cruise "Explore Australia" Tour? I'm planning on taking the Noordam (or whatever ship is doing the route) in 2018 on a cruise from Sydney to Auckland. We'll have visited Sydney before, but I would like to visit Uluru with a guided tour prior to the cruise and HAL's "Explore Australia" 6 night pre- cruise tour itinerary looks about perfect. I haven't been able to find any reviews or pricing on this though. Does anyone have any info?

I've not taken it yet, so can't review it, but am booked for November 2016, after a Maasdam cruise. Cost is US $3,569 per person. Price may vary by date, I would expect.

Dave