A Review With Pictures Of A Royal Time On Adventure Of The Seas - October 10, 2015

bigque

El Morro:

DSCF1269_zpsykz05ngd.jpg

DSCF1270_zpsyll5idxg.jpg

DSCF1273_zpssy54jhdm.jpg

Old San Juan

DSCF1257_zpsjq2tbcl8.jpg

DSCF1258_zpso23rdgpl.jpg

After we met we all had planned a trip that evening to go to the El Churry truck to grab a Charassco sandwich. This is a truck that was featured on the TV Show “Man vs. Food” and the sandwiches featured was suppose to be very very good. They were either on a hogie roll or wrap with your choice of chicken or steak or mixed with the fixing you want on them along with this secret sauce. We jumped in a taxi and went there 9They only come out after 7:00 in the evening as they are popular with the party goers who come after the clubs close early morning. Adam from Man vs. Food was spot on with this as these sandwiches were absolutely “Da Bomb”! one of the best sandwiches I have had. I was glad we didn’t miss out on this little treat!

El Churry Truck featured on Man vs. Food

DSCF1290_zpstwmdu4pz.jpg

Link to the Man Vs. Food Episode featuring the El Churry Truck:

I want to go back to SJ just for another one. I was jealous to hear you were heading back there post cruise. I hope it was just as good the second time around.

This was our second time cruising and of San Juan and we love it. There were a lot of people at the hotel that were just vacationing in San Juan and not there to cruise. It was smoking hot in October as was all the islands in the Southern Caribbean. We cruise this time of year for our anniversary, the weather is still hot, less kids on board and cheaper cruise prices. This was our 4th cruise during this time of year and have not had any bad weather (Hurricanes) yet!

So after the El Churry Truck went back to the hotel and had a beer with our new found friends in the sports bar and I then went to take a few night pictures and then prepare for the Big day!

Spectacular Night Views From the Hotel Balcony

DSCF1243_zpssh3ughy9.jpg

DSCF1240_zpsfrn2mum3.jpg

DSCF1239_zps9jwkh2xf.jpg

DSCF1242_zps9c5xkn3f.jpg

Up Next.... The Big Day - Embarkation Day!

I want to go back to SJ just for another one. I was jealous to hear you were heading back there post cruise. I hope it was just as good the second time around.

Hey Dave! You know we never did make it back there. We went back to Old San Juan that day and then went to the mall and a trip back down Ashford Avenue. After that we were exhausted and stayed in that night as we had to be at the airport at 4 AM for our flight out. You all were lots of fun whenever you were around and we hope we can meet up you all on a cruise again someday!

Idw if you've sailed Carnival but how would they compare to Guys Burgers, cause they were probably the best burgers at sea, comparable to Five Guys

Agreed! Best burgers at sea. And close to the best burgers on land as well.

Embarkation Day:

Adventure just after arrival in San Juan from hotel balcony:

DSCF1293_zpsseep1iws.jpg

At Daybreak from the balcony:

DSCF1312_zps3ztagbht.jpg

After checking out of the hotel at 11:00 one of the other couples from the roll call and us shared a taxi to the port. Ten minute ride if that long and $18.00 plus $1.00 per bag. Every time I pull up at a port I am always so impressed with these cruise ships with the size of them. Adventure was no different She was beautiful!

Arriving at the Pan American Pier

DSCF1316_zpsz657dtne.jpg

DSCF1318_zpson11jzkc.jpg

DSCF1321_zps0xbuwwrb.jpg

We had our luggage tags (In the tag holders from Amazon) already on our luggage, so we were able to just hand off the luggage to one of the porters, gave him a tip and went and got in line to get checked in. As Gold Members they had a priority line for us to go in and just like always at other ports it was the shortest line in the place. After this cruise we turned platinum and I am going to have going through that line because it is always longer. On future cruise I may still try to go in the gold line.

The waiting line at 11:15

DSCF1322_zpsfdnomyol.jpg

The time of our arrival at the port was about 11:15, doors opened at 11:30, check in was painless (We have Passports) and after sitting for about 15 minutes they opened the doors to get on the ship we were on the ship and eating lunch in the Windjammer by12:15. So from our arrival in the taxi to getting on the ship was about an hour total. Don’t laugh but we are some of those people that go right up to the Windjammer to grab lunch when we get on board. Because of the time we boarded we got our food and was able to find a table of our choice right by the window with 2 of our friends we met at the hotel.

Thanks for doing this. We did an Adventure cruise in August and booked again for next August. So, looking at the photos is a pleasant mix of memory and anticipation!

We've eaten at Ropa Vieja on a previous visit to San Juan. Highly recommend!

I also recommend getting out of San Juan and exploring the rest of Puerto Rico. We stayed four nights pre-cruise at El Conquistador Resort in Fajardo. It was about an hour east of San Juan on the coast. It was incredible and some of the local, off-resort restaurants were fantastic.

Link to my review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2256548

The first tour of the ship:

And thus starts the infamous Day Of The Week signs in the floor. I hate those as it reminds me each day that we are closer to the end of the cruise!

Day - 1

DSCF1332_zpskhxyehyx.jpg

After the quick bite to eat we went to the MDR and was able to get our tables changed for the four of us to have dinner together each night and then went to check out The Royal Promenade and had a drink at the Champagne Bar on the Royal Promenade at which time the announcement was made that the rooms were ready (About 2:00).

THE Main Dining Room Staircase:

DSCF1330_zpsii03cyb5.jpg

Our MDR Table For The Week

DSCF1329_zpsr6usl8kn.jpg

The Wife and our new friends (magiccouple on CC) and table mates for the week. The husband is a magician and a very good one thus the CC name magiccouple!

DSCF1327_zps2t1uno00.jpg

As we walked around and toured the ship my 1st impressions was wow pretty nice! We started on the Royal Promenade and as I said before Voyager class is simply a "Mini ME" of the Freedom Class. Because the promenade is not as long as the Freedom class ships there is a couple of shops missing and the most noticeable difference is the absence of Sorrento's Pizza. When you go up top to the pool deck the most noticeable thing missing is the Flow Rider and the children's pool area but besides that what you see on Freedom class you will basically see on Voyager class!

The Royal Promenade

DSCF1333_zpsk9u6l0me.jpg

DSCF1335_zpsim5wnrfn.jpg

Your thoughts, we have the money saved up for the airfare, I imagine the schedules should be out soon we plan on booking with Delta or wait for cheaper prices with SW?

We're doing Adventure in 3 weeks and Celebrity Summit in February, both out of San Juan. Southwest was the last to come to the table with schedules and their prices were not any better (plus one of the routes was an 11 hour journey). If you see something that looks good on another major carrier, I'd book it.

Google flights is really nice for showing you the "average" price out there for months ahead of time!

Very nice review. I especially like the pictures. We'll be on the Adventure in a few weeks and especially happy to be back on Royal Caribbean. This is a very specific question, but my wife doesn't like to dance and I've gotten into doing the classes onboard just to learn a few steps. Any chance you know if they were teaching any line dances?

Looking forward to the rest of the review!

Thanks!

The Pool Deck Area:

A Very Nice Pool Deck. Two Pool, hot tubs plus the adult solarium. Even with the controversy of people putting towels on pool deck chairs to save them, it never really was a big problem. Even on the sea days there always seem to be somewhere to sit howbeit some places were more crowed than others. The most popular area as seem to be on every cruise is right around the pool and under the overhang area. If you were willing to move back or go up the deck above the pool deck there were always chairs available even more so than cruises on other classes we have been on. The pool deck bar and the sky bar were never overly crowded and the bar servers were very noticeable and available to take you drink orders.

DSCF1365_zpspotbeddw.jpg

DSCF1368_zpshtsen01b.jpg

DSCF1363_zps8hqunqdg.jpg

DSCF1392_zpsvbym9l97.jpg

The Solarium

DSCF1400_zpssgqkbfgl.jpg

DSCF1398_zpskyuf7skg.jpg

Your thoughts, we have the money saved up for the airfare, I imagine the schedules should be out soon we plan on booking with Delta or wait for cheaper prices with SW?

I use Airfare watchdog dot com. You sign up and they send low fare alerts to you email for flights you pick to be alerted to. if they alert you to a low airfare you have to be ready to book right then as there are usually very limited seats available at that price. you can book directly trough them except for SW flights which you have to go to SW website to book. I would say if you see a price that is really good no matter what the airline book that. Usually SW has the best fares you will find. depending on the airport.

Very nice review. I especially like the pictures. We'll be on the Adventure in a few weeks and especially happy to be back on Royal Caribbean. This is a very specific question, but my wife doesn't like to dance and I've gotten into doing the classes onboard just to learn a few steps. Any chance you know if they were teaching any line dances?

Looking forward to the rest of the review!

Thanks!

You better believe they do! There were line dance lesson a couple of tmes during the week. You would just check the cruise compass for the day and times. They will have well prepared to do all the line dances that they do during the night of "Dancing Under The Stars"!