Am I making a big mistake?

cruisinrealtor

We are going on the rccl oasis of the seas in January. I'm thinking for Jamaica we would shop at the stores in port and then head back to the ship to enjoy an empty ship however is that a big mistake? Will I be missing on something amazing? I've looked at the excursion on rccl website but nothing bold me over and I really don't want to take a bus ride for 3 hours to something for 1-2 hours.

I wouldn't say Jamaica is dangerous. The locals are extremely aggressive in their attempts to sell you things but if you just say "no thank you" and continue on your way they will eventually leave you alone. I've read lots of posts on this board where people go outside of the compound to tour around Falmouth and have had no issues.

If everyone in your party is in good physical condition, there are some great outdoor activities. There is Dunn's River Falls, rafting on the Martha Brae, and trying out the track where the Jamaican bobsled team practiced.

If these sound too adventurous for you, there are some beaches and plantations that offer a slower pace. In Falmouth, there are some walking and trolley tours of the town.

Use this board or Trip Advisor to get recommendations of local tour companies to take you anywhere you like. Safe, reliable, and maybe $60 plus tip for a four hour private tour. Beautiful island.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Forums mobile app

We have been several times. The Dunns fall excision is ok. Because you are at Falmouth the drive is long. I would skip it from Falmouth and wait until you stop at The other ports closer to the falls.

We now just go off the ship to visit the shops in port and head back onto the ship for lunch.

We have been to Jamaica on numerous occasions, even got married at a resort there 11 years ago. That being said, after the one time we got off the cruiseship, we would NEVER get off again. Yes, there are beautiful spots and good things to do, but the harassing locals ruin the experience. We have lived in several major cities and are well traveled and when it comes to exploring Jamaica, our attitude is "we don't go on vacation to get hassled". I suppose that if you book an excursion that cuts some of that out, but I remember even as a kid when I traveled with my parents and did an organized excursion to Dunn's River Falls, two shady guys tried to get my then 16 year old brother alone to try and sell him drugs. Also, even if you're with a tour, there will be locals who try to squeeze you for whatever they can get out of you. Yes, it's a poor country and they certainly need the money but having dozens of locals try and shake you down every step gets annoying. One time I left a restaurant to try and catch up with my cousin, and about 8 Jamaican men surrounded me in a circle, each offering me something different, and when I tried to break through to say that I'm just looking for my cousin, they all insisted on bringing me to him. I just turned around and walked back to the restaurant, but the experience was enough to keep me on the ship on future stops.